Is The Encore Transatlantic (11/2) a Cruise About "Nothing"?

need2cruisesoon

35 minutes ago, bmwman said:

I know like to think these innagural are something exclusive with all the build up on "everything Encore" but they are not. They are simply another revenue cruise to NCL (NCL love all the stuff its free advertising keep going please!) - if they are not they would take the ship to USA empty. Gives crew a chance to test and train so its cheaper but unless NCL have not released cabins they have already so over 70% of the cabins and the new UK deals have been VERY successful judging by what is now sold out. !  If you think there will only be 2,500 passengers you are going to be sadly very disappointed.

By way of example we have booked and a lo of people from our community are jumping on the ship at the current price

The price has dropped again today and speaking to NCL they agree it has been slow they have found the price point and its really selling from the UK - offering flights has "sorted it"..

These cruises are the first revenue cruises, before this one there is a 2-day travel agents one where NCL (or whichever other cruise line is launching a ship) will sell the features of the ship giving free example, dining, and more importantly giving them drinks to ensure good press reviews.

Then the TA is the first paying guests.  The same as any hotel or venue (because let’s be frank the shipyard builds and hands over the ship to the cruiseline and then it’s a soft opening venue/hotel.  NCL deliberately control the number of cabins available so spares are available for any unforeseen issues (plumbing/electrics/squeaking/door jams etc..) 

having done many of these including the infamous Harmony of the Seas work site launch.  Just like buying a house there will be a snagging list of anything spotted at handover and I can guarantee at least a few sub-cos from the yard will be onboard to assist the normal NCL maintenance crew as you can’t just fly extras in.

again, keeping cabins empty means guest services can and often do move people around so that things that take a bit longer to fix can be done in their own time.  

Royal were good at this and actually left cards in rooms for people to report any issues and the Steward would collect them whether it was door sticking, light flashing, tap dripping..

The ship will sail at about 2/3rd - 3/4 capacity same as the ones before.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:50 PM, Single Cruiser said:

These cruises are the first revenue cruises, before this one there is a 2-day travel agents one where NCL (or whichever other cruise line is launching a ship) will sell the features of the ship giving free example, dining, and more importantly giving them drinks to ensure good press reviews.

Then the TA is the first paying guests.  The same as any hotel or venue (because let’s be frank the shipyard builds and hands over the ship to the cruiseline and then it’s a soft opening venue/hotel.  NCL deliberately control the number of cabins available so spares are available for any unforeseen issues (plumbing/electrics/squeaking/door jams etc..) 

having done many of these including the infamous Harmony of the Seas work site launch.  Just like buying a house there will be a snagging list of anything spotted at handover and I can guarantee at least a few sub-cos from the yard will be onboard to assist the normal NCL maintenance crew as you can’t just fly extras in.

again, keeping cabins empty means guest services can and often do move people around so that things that take a bit longer to fix can be done in their own time.  

Royal were good at this and actually left cards in rooms for people to report any issues and the Steward would collect them whether it was door sticking, light flashing, tap dripping..

The ship will sail at about 2/3rd - 3/4 capacity same as the ones before.

Yes 75% agreed  but it is already there after this eeekend and they are still selling

On 8/31/2019 at 3:21 PM, TheDougOut said:

Who do you think views this sailing as “exclusive”?  A week ago the ship had inventory to accommodate another 2000+ guests, and anybody that wanted to book could have.  

For various reasons, many (most?) don’t view it as a favorable sailing. 

Have a look today!!! 

On 8/28/2019 at 6:26 AM, Cruise Mama said:

There are so many other cruise options out there - why take this one - the carpeting won’t all be laid, cabins won’t all be complete, entertainment will still be in “rehearsal”, not only will the weather keep the pools from being filled - but there’s rough seas in the Atlantic in November, there’s no port to take on fresh provisions (9 days of “fresh” fruit and veggies?), no shore excursions, shopping, for what? 

I don’t think so, definitely not!

They load unripe/green bananas which ripe during the cruise and are perfectly ready to eat. Just one of the many examples. Most 7 nighters also only take in supplies in at the home port but why am I even trying.. :classic_smile:

You keep believing a to be able to check that quickly you are ate either a TA or guessing. Anyway we are all looking forward to it and our community have now got more than 100 st  the silly price from uk including flight. Mind you with Brexit that week should be interesting to get away from the country

56 minutes ago, bmwman said:

You keep believing a to be able to check that quickly you are ate either a TA or guessing. Anyway we are all looking forward to it and our community have now got more than 100 st  the silly price from uk including flight. Mind you with Brexit that week should be interesting to get away from the country

Last week there was hundreds cabins available and then they withdrew categories below Haven.

what site are you seeing it as still available?    I rang NCL shortly before they went off sale last week and got an upgrade offer, the agent confirmed the balcony grade I was looking to upgrade to had dozens of available cabins on just the floor I was on.

agent friends have also confirmed what Doug has seen that currently only around 50% are sold.

12 minutes ago, Single Cruiser said:

Last week there was hundreds cabins available and then they withdrew categories below Haven.

what site are you seeing it as still available?    I rang NCL shortly before they went off sale last week and got an upgrade offer, the agent confirmed the balcony grade I was looking to upgrade to had dozens of available cabins on just the floor I was on.

agent friends have also confirmed what Doug has seen that currently only around 50% are sold.

IMHO, this is a cruise about nothing. I booked this cruise in May 1918 as an 11 day cruise to Miami with stop in Ponta Delgada. When that was changed to a 9 day cruise to New York with no stops, it went a long way to making it a cruise about nothing. The more I learn about this cruise, the less excited I become. For example, most of the top deck area is taken up with pay to use items. Vibe, galaxy pavilion, go carts, etc. I’m sure we will enjoy the cruise, especially since we are spending a week in The UK before and two days in NYC after. But, the attraction was the price, not sailing on an inaugural cruise. Being a first just doesn’t merit all the hype and excitement.

2 hours ago, bmwman said:

Have a look today!!! 

“Sold Out” can mean what it says or it can be NCL speak for “Not Available.” Ships don’t go from 50% booked to sold out overnight. As I remember, ocean views were not available for quite a while and then they were. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Single Cruiser said:

Ok the removal of the cabins is to do with the fact that the reduced prices (created a lot of demand ) but also created a lot of people wanting refunds as in our example the cruise went down by nearly 80% so we cancelled and rebooked. I agree this may mean the ship sails with only up to 75% full. There are a number UK agency is still offering other grades - just tried it,

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

On each of my three TA cruises, NCL provided a husband-wife couple who directed duplicate bridge games and taught bridge.  They led a game, an intermediate lesson and a beginner lesson each sea day in one of the (closed) specialty restaurants.  These events attracted 50-75 people each and made the mornings and afternoons pass quickly. No fee for anything.   Moreover, complete beginners could learn enough bridge to participate in "newcomer" games at their local bridge clubs.  Another benefit was meeting people to join at meals, going to shows, etc. 

Highly recommended!

Edited by FLAHAM