No more swimming with Dolphins in Bay of Islands.

We had a tour booked there about 18 months ago but couldn't actually get in the water with the dolphins because there was a baby present which we thought was totally fair.  According to our tour operator it was very seldom that anyone could actually go in the water on the tours because of all the regulations...ie dolphins feeding, pregnant dolphins, baby dolphins etc etc.  Just as well that it's not marketed anymore.  We also very much enjoyed just watching them from the boat as they swam alongside and raced us.  

27 minutes ago, NumnuT said:

Love the Bay of Islands...

have caught many big sharks & plenty of snapper in the Bay of Islands!

Much better to stay onboard

Waitangi Golf course is awesome too....

Craig

So are you saying Waitangi Golf is in Bay of Islands?  Do they rent clubs for cruisers?  Four of our group like to try and golf somewhere on a stop when we cruise. 

13 minutes ago, youwash said:

So are you saying Waitangi Golf is in Bay of Islands?  Do they rent clubs for cruisers?  Four of our group like to try and golf somewhere on a stop when we cruise. 

Yes.

The tenders drop you very close to the course & the treaty house.

A must do if you like golf, rent everything, clubs & carts, bring plenty of balls unless you are really good?

the Treaty house is amazing, well worth a look at too.

Cheers

Craig

2 minutes ago, NumnuT said:

Yes.

The tenders drop you very close to the course & the treaty house.

A must do if you like golf, rent everything, clubs & carts, bring plenty of balls unless you are really good?

the Treaty house is amazing, well worth a look at too.

Cheers

Craig

Thanks so much for the information!  I'll pass it along. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youwash said:

Thanks so much for the information!  I'll pass it along. 

I was bought up in the Bay of Islands, the Waitangi Golf club used to be one of the top clubs in the country in the  days when my father was greenskeeper there.

Its still a great course and the scenery is amazing, the tenders drop you down by the 9th tee from memory but you will be able to get clubs and everything you need  http://www.waitangigolf.co.nz 

I vote a few rounds, have a great day

1 hour ago, roscoe39 said:

I was bought up in the Bay of Islands,

G'day Roscoe,

My brother "Aussie Dave" was a commercial snapper fisherman for 25 years on an old boat called Polaris.

Don't suppose you have heard of him?

Craig

On 8/30/2019 at 5:25 PM, roscoe39 said:

I was bought up in the Bay of Islands, the Waitangi Golf club used to be one of the top clubs in the country in the  days when my father was greenskeeper there.

Its still a great course and the scenery is amazing, the tenders drop you down by the 9th tee from memory but you will be able to get clubs and everything you need  http://www.waitangigolf.co.nz 

I vote a few rounds, have a great day

just checked with my father this morning, they don't use the tee down but the Waitangi Wharf now, to get to the clubhouse you will need a taxi - its a bit of a hike but yes they will hire everything you need there.

On 8/30/2019 at 6:28 PM, NumnuT said:

G'day Roscoe,

My brother "Aussie Dave" was a commercial snapper fisherman for 25 years on an old boat called Polaris.

Don't suppose you have heard of him?

Craig

sorry Craig - doesn't ring a bell, hopefully he's enjoying the season up there though.

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2019 at 5:49 PM, roscoe39 said:

just checked with my father this morning, they don't use the tee down but the Waitangi Wharf now, to get to the clubhouse you will need a taxi - its a bit of a hike but yes they will hire everything you need there.

Thanks for updating us.

On 9/1/2019 at 2:49 AM, roscoe39 said:

Thanks for the additional information. I have passed it along to the golfers in our group. It certainly looks like a beautiful place!