Changing currency onboard

steve333

I am getting my US dollars tomorrow for our US/Canadian cruise on Sunday but need Canadian dollars once onboard,question is will Aurora have Canadian dollars onboard and has anyone changed sterling for them whilst onboard recently and if so was the exchange rate close to what it would have been at home-thanks for any help,Steve.

I have never changed currency on board because I assume, rightly I think, that P&O's exchange rate will be much worse than the best of the high street, and I imagine they will include a commission charge as well.  However if you are only changing a small amount I guess the extra cost might be worth the convenience.

• Thanks 1

The best way is to use your credit/debit card where possible. When in Canada, you can withdraw Canadian dollars from any ATM using a UK debit card. This will give you a much better rate than on the ship. Like in the UK use an ATM at a bank rather than a convenience store which may charge extra.

Brian

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have never changed currency on board because I assume, rightly I think, that P&O's exchange rate will be much worse than the best of the high street, and I imagine they will include a commission charge as well.  However if you are only changing a small amount I guess the extra cost might be worth the convenience.

I have occasionally changed currency onboard when I need a fairly small amount. The exchange rate was not much worse than on the high street and they do not charge commission. The transaction is included in your onboard account and the exchange rate is made clear. I wouldn’t buy a huge amount because I don’t spend a lot ashore anyway and usually bring some back home because I have spent less than expected. 

It always amuses me a little that people pay thousands of pounds for a cruise but are fearful of a low exchange rate and commission / transaction fee if buying currency onboard. The small amount you may lose compared with online or high street rates is easily offset by the convenience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I have occasionally changed currency onboard when I need a fairly small amount. The exchange rate was not much worse than on the high street and they do not charge commission. The transaction is included in your onboard account and the exchange rate is made clear. I wouldn’t buy a huge amount because I don’t spend a lot ashore anyway and usually bring some back home because I have spent less than expected. 

It always amuses me a little that people pay thousands of pounds for a cruise but are fearful of a low exchange rate and commission / transaction fee if buying currency onboard. The small amount you may lose compared with online or high street rates is easily offset by the convenience.

My attitude too.

And to answer the OP's question, yes you should be able to get Canadian dollars on-board.

• Thanks 1

Your best option will likely be to take smaller amounts on your onboard credit account as and when you need it, you are then less likely to have to change back to sterling if the weather is not good and you don't end up doing your planned trips. It is usually when you change back to Sterling that you get stung on the exchange rate.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Your best option will likely be to take smaller amounts on your onboard credit account as and when you need it, you are then less likely to have to change back to sterling if the weather is not good and you don't end up doing your planned trips. It is usually when you change back to Sterling that you get stung on the exchange rate.

Thanks Phil-we will be going back to both Canada/USA in the future so wouldn’t change back,Steve

1 minute ago, steve333 said:

Thanks Phil-we will be going back to both Canada/USA in the future so wouldn’t change back,Steve

That's good, we never change dollars and euros as we will always be going back now we are retired, we may even bump into you in Canada as we are setting off Sunday for 30 night Canada in the fall with CMV.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

That's good, we never change dollars and euros as we will always be going back now we are retired, we may even bump into you in Canada as we are setting off Sunday for 30 night Canada in the fall with CMV.

Enjoy your cruise Phil.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrianI said:

The best way is to use your credit/debit card where possible. When in Canada, you can withdraw Canadian dollars from any ATM using a UK debit card. This will give you a much better rate than on the ship. Like in the UK use an ATM at a bank rather than a convenience store which may charge extra.

Brian

Unless your using a fee free card a Uk debit card is the worse way to spend abroad and withdrawing cash from a ATM is even worse. You will get a better rate than the ship no doubt but then Your bank will hit you with no end of fees which really add up.

Very poor advice Brian.

Edited by clarkttopcat
spelling

1 hour ago, clarkttopcat said:

Unless your using a fee free card a Uk debit card is the worse way to spend abroad and withdrawing cash from a ATM is even worse. You will get a better rate than the ship no doubt but then Your bank will hit you with no end of fees which really add up.

Very poor advice Brian.

You mean all bank cards are not free free, like mine is.

My husband brought back the US dollars and the Canadian Dollars he'd ordered through his bank the other day.  With the money was a statement from Lloyds stating that customers would not be able to order either Australian or Canadian Dollars after September 1st.  I wondered why not!   We haven't ordered much currency but if we run out we'd certainly purchase the currency on board as we're not likely to need very much.  We intend to mostly use a card.  My husband says he doesn't expect to spend much ashore - maybe!!