magic in two weeks - half moon cay

cruzn buckeye

I am wondering the same thing. Two Carnival cruises have cancelled the port this am. Just wondering if its due to rough waters/tenders or damage. I know it feels a little insensitive to be wondering so soon (without the possibility of loss of life) but none the less still wondering if the most beautiful place in the world was ruined. We plan to visit twice in the next 6 months. Info has been hard to find.

Looking at the National Hurricane Center interactive map (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/095412.shtml?gm_track#contents), it is hard to tell if Little San Salvador Island (Half Moon Cay) has a hurricane warning or not, but it would certainly be feeling the effects of the storm surge and winds. I would guess that calls have been cancelled for a variety of reasons, including that it would just not be safe to tender to the island. I have my fingers crossed that the damage is minimal or non-existent. Freeport is being hammered, so the Bahamas will need all of the revenues it can receive as fast as they can get it.

• Like 1

HMC is the tiny red dot between the southern tip of Eleuthera and the northern tip of Cat Island.  Looks like it officially missed tropical strength winds according to this chart, but I'm sure it was very stormy.

image.png.3a962fc60e08036d7f911e5fe32a382c.png

5 hours ago, missholly24 said:

Awesome great info. Thank you.  Can't imagine what they are going through. Love Bahamians and their friendly outgoing culture.

We love the Bahamas too. It is definitely a better land based visit then a cruise stop. The island, resorts and food are amazing. It's tough to take in the culture in 6 hours. 

• Like 1

Found this in an article from Cruise critic. Great news!!!

""Half Moon Cay: Calls on Half Moon Cay on September 2 were canceled. According to a statement from Holland America Line, "Half Moon Cay was only minimally impacted by Hurricane Dorian. There was some minor beach erosion, which will be cleaned up, but no structural damage. The horses and stingrays are all doing well. Holland America Line ships return to Half Moon Cay on October 21 with a visit by Zuiderdam.""

• Like 1

5 hours ago, missholly24 said:

Found this in an article from Cruise critic. Great news!!!

""Half Moon Cay: Calls on Half Moon Cay on September 2 were canceled. According to a statement from Holland America Line, "Half Moon Cay was only minimally impacted by Hurricane Dorian. There was some minor beach erosion, which will be cleaned up, but no structural damage. The horses and stingrays are all doing well. Holland America Line ships return to Half Moon Cay on October 21 with a visit by Zuiderdam.""

This does not, however, address visits by Carnival ships. I would expect Carnival to announce soon about their ships. Holland America does not have ships in the Caribbean this time of year, so their sailings are not directly impact at the moment.

I'm scheduled on the Magic on 9/8. Our stop at Half Moon Cay on 9/9 was replaced with Nassau. I got an e-mail about 45 minutes ago. 

"As you may know, Hurricane Dorian made landfall in The Bahamas a few days ago.  The storm's impact to Half Moon Cay was limited to beach erosion and debris. Clean-up work needs to be completed prior to welcoming guests for an enjoyable private island experience and this work is already in progress. However, since the ability to safely deploy resources for these efforts was delayed while the storm passed through The Bahamas, Half Moon Cay will not be ready for our scheduled call on September 9th. 

Fortunately, Nassau was minimally affected by the storm and is now ready to welcome visitors. We have a secured a visit to Nassau on Monday."

2 hours ago, Blondie419ag said:

I'm scheduled on the Magic on 9/8. Our stop at Half Moon Cay on 9/9 was replaced with Nassau. I got an e-mail about 45 minutes ago. 

"As you may know, Hurricane Dorian made landfall in The Bahamas a few days ago.  The storm's impact to Half Moon Cay was limited to beach erosion and debris. Clean-up work needs to be completed prior to welcoming guests for an enjoyable private island experience and this work is already in progress. However, since the ability to safely deploy resources for these efforts was delayed while the storm passed through The Bahamas, Half Moon Cay will not be ready for our scheduled call on September 9th. 

Fortunately, Nassau was minimally affected by the storm and is now ready to welcome visitors. We have a secured a visit to Nassau on Monday."

Oh wow interesting. I hope all the info is correct about no damage. Thank you so much for the info. Have fun on your trip!!

1 hour ago, missholly24 said:

Oh wow interesting. I hope all the info is correct about no damage. Thank you so much for the info. Have fun on your trip!!

i'll be darned.  I hadn't heard since we booked cruise under wife's email since she's platinum. 

I don't mind Nassau and I love the entry/exit from the port. 

I'm on the same cruise on the Magic departing on the 14th. There has been lots of conversation and speculation about whether we'll be able to make our scheduled stop at HMC. As of the latest update from Carnival, regarding HMC, Carnival ships will resume port calls at HMC beginning September 12.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ohiowilly said:

I'm on the same cruise on the Magic departing on the 14th. There has been lots of conversation and speculation about whether we'll be able to make our scheduled stop at HMC. As of the latest update from Carnival, regarding HMC, Carnival ships will resume port calls at HMC beginning September 12.

I would like to tell them hell I will go there and help clean up! Haha...my favorite place in the world!