What time does the ship use?

palolake

Just now, palolake said:

This will be our first Holland America cruise.  Does the ship change it's time based on the country it's in?  I'd assume so but just want to check.

Yes, the ship will be on local time. You will see reminders of the time changes in the daily program. It's probably also somewhere on the interactive TV system. And as of last winter, they were still leaving little reminder cards on the bed at turndown time.

I'm going to say ALMOST always.  On my Prinsendam Grand South America I think we stayed on ship's time in South Georgia.  It is VERY rare and in that case I don't think the island had either clocks or cell service and if someone had picked up local time they would just have been back an hour early.

Roy

• Like 1

I agree with Roy, ALMOST always. I have been on a few MR cruises where we did NOT change to local time in a port. Usually it's when we've already changed once during the cruise. At the gangway they had signs to remind people that we were on SHIP time and not local time. 

(On a cruise, I always turn OFF the automatic updates for time. That way I'm on the correct time, no matter what a cell tower is trying to tell my phone. 😉

Edited by dobiemom

Agree with Roy and DobieMom. 

We did not change to local time when we visited Montevideo( our second to last port) on our  Valpo to BsAs trip in 2013. Uruguay was one hour ahead of all the other ports and we were only there for some 10 hours. The next day we were in BsAs and off the ship.