Uniworld Travel Protection Plan

bubbulz

We're looking at a cruise for 2020 and we normally buy our travel insurance from one of the larger companies (e.g., TravelGuard, Allianz, etc.). However, I started looking at what Uniworld offers and it looks interesting for a few reasons. It is less expensive (probably since it doesn't look at age) and also offers an "any reason" cancellation waiver.

Has anyone used this and have any feedback? Thanks in advance ...

https://www.uniworld.com/en/already-booked/us-travel-protection/2020-travel-protection/

THE UNIWORLD “ANY REASON” CANCELLATION WAIVER*

Provided by Uniworld* (non-insurance feature)

With the Uniworld “Any Reason” Cancellation Waiver, Uniworld will provide you with 100% of the Uniworld cancellation penalties in the form of a future travel credit certificate, should you cancel your cruise/tour prior to your original scheduled flight departure time for any reason that is not eligible for cash reimbursement under the Trip Cancellation section of the Travel Protection Plan. Cancellation penalties are reimbursed in the form of a Uniworld Travel Certificate allowing you a two (2) year credit to travel with us at a later date. Please note that to be eligible for the “Any Reason” Cancellation Waiver, you must enroll and pay for the plan at the time you make your initial trip deposit. The certificate is valid for two years, is nontransferable, nonrefundable and may not be redeemed for cash. Future travel certificates do not include airfare cancellation charges for air arrangements unless those arrangements were provided by Uniworld.

One other note: If we purchased the Uniworld plan for the cruise portion, we'd probably add other coverage for any non-refundable airfare and land arrangements. So perhaps a downside would be coordination between the two in the event of an issue?

Are you purchasing your flights thru Uniworld?  When I did, the cost of insurance for the flights wasn't added until the flights were paid for.  Is that what you're asking?

Roz

Not really sure about the flights yet, since it's still too early to book. Mostly just wondering whether I should purchase insurance separately like I normally do. The 'any reason' waiver through the Uniworld plan sounds interesting, though.

ETA: And although I thought the Uniworld plan was less expensive, it's not necessarily since it is a per person charge.

Edited by bubbulz

The big issue with me is that it isn't a cash payment; it only provides a future travel voucher which has no value except to you (non-transferable), and only for future travel within 2 years with Uniworld.

What if you feel that you need to cancel because you don't feel up to this kind of travel any more? This is more a choice than a medical requirement that you cancel. You now have a voucher that only you can use, and only for future travel with Uniworld that you don't think you can do any more. In this situation, the benefit is useless to you.

I would probably prefer to get 50% (or 75% sometimes) back in cash in this circumstance.

On the other hand, if work pressures make you cancel, and you are fit and able to go within 2 years (remember that lots of river cruises are booked more than a year out as soon as the new season's schedule comes out) then it might be a useful coverage.

Think about where you are in life, and what reasons you might cancel for that wouldn't be refundable in cash.

Thanks, gnome. The credit would only be in case we had to cancel under circumstances that the regular cancellation insurance wouldn't cover. So I was thinking it might be helpful in case of weather events, etc.

In any case, I think I'm just going to stick with one of our usual providers. Appreciate the feedback.

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

I believe USAA provides a policy with 75% cash back. I think someone wrote that the other day "for cancel for any reason".

Yes, there are quite a few that offer this as an option, but it's a pricey option. Not sure the Douro has the same high/low water issues that the Rhine and the Danube seem to run into routinely, so maybe it's not worth the cost.

8 minutes ago, bubbulz said:

Yes, there are quite a few that offer this as an option, but it's a pricey option. Not sure the Douro has the same high/low water issues that the Rhine and the Danube seem to run into routinely, so maybe it's not worth the cost.

Thanks. I use an Allianz plan through my agent that doesn't offer this but allows me to buy at final payment and covers pre-existing conditions.

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

Thanks. I use an Allianz plan through my agent that doesn't offer this but allows me to buy at final payment and covers pre-existing conditions.

Yes, Allianz is my 'go-to' plan typically. Good company. I normally just cover the amount of the initial non-refundable items and then add to it as needed. I also adjust the dates if necessary once I book my air.

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Insurance bought through a cruise line doesn't include coverage for provider default – in the unlikely case that Uniworld should go bankrupt before your cruise.  A minor point, but not nothing.

It is also important to also check the 3rd party insurance list of covered or excluded companies. Some insurance companies listed the companies they covered while another listed the ones that they did not cover.  When I first cruised Amawaterways, Access America (now Allianz) would not cover them for financial default. I had to use TravelGuard.

Edited by Coral

18 minutes ago, Coral said:

It is also important to also check the 3rd party insurance list of covered or excluded companies. Some insurance companies listed the companies they covered while another listed the ones that they did not cover.  When I first cruised Amawaterways, Access America (now Allianz) would not cover them for financial default. I had to use TravelGuard.

Thanks so much!

We just purchased the Uniworld Cancel for any Reason and I would like to clarify what would happen if we canceled for a non-covered reason. I know we would get a travel voucher good for two years, but suppose one of the two travelers could never travel again due to medical reasons (or, heaven forbid, divorce)?

8 minutes ago, trurodoc said:

We just purchased the Uniworld Cancel for any Reason and I would like to clarify what would happen if we canceled for a non-covered reason. I know we would get a travel voucher good for two years, but suppose one of the two travelers could never travel again due to medical reasons (or, heaven forbid, divorce)?

You would have to read the detailed terms of the policy. However, medical issues should be covered under the normal terms of the policy. You’d have to check whether divorce is considered a covered condition, but I’d expect that would be one of those situations where you would get a voucher. 

1 hour ago, bubbulz said:

You would have to read the detailed terms of the policy. However, medical issues should be covered under the normal terms of the policy. You’d have to check whether divorce is considered a covered condition, but I’d expect that would be one of those situations where you would get a voucher. 

I think the question is what happens after the voucher is issued. For example, they cancel for non-covered reasons and then later get sick and can't use the voucher.

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think the question is what happens after the voucher is issued. For example, they cancel for non-covered reasons and then later get sick and can't use the voucher.

If that is the question, seems pretty clear what the answer is:

"The certificate is valid for two years, is nontransferable, nonrefundable and may not be redeemed for cash."

Just now, bubbulz said:

If that is the question, seems pretty clear what the answer is:

"The certificate is valid for two years, is nontransferable, nonrefundable and may not be redeemed for cash."

Exactly. Not a good deal.

40 minutes ago, Coral said:

This is what I meant--problems arising after canceling for a non-covered reason. Perhaps one person could go alone but not bring another family member or a friend. Maybe better than nothing.

40 minutes ago, Coral said:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trurodoc said:

This is what I meant--problems arising after canceling for a non-covered reason. Perhaps one person could go alone but not bring another family member or a friend. Maybe better than nothing.

Since it is non-transferable and not redeemable for cash, it would see that any residual value would be forfeited. Probably safest to call Uniworld, or better yet, review the detailed (written) terms of the policy.

And in case you find the terms unacceptable or insufficient:

"If you are not satisfied for any reason, you may cancel the travel insurance portion of your coverage within 10 days of purchase, if you have not departed on your trip or filed a claim. When so returned, all coverages under the policy are void from the beginning."