Dress Code

chrisg1uk

No, thankfully not another discussion about the merits of "smart tailored shorts" etc.  I have booked to go on Britannia in Jan 2020 and have just noticed that the area on the Personaliser that details the dress code is blank rather than the expected 4 formal and 10 smart casual.   I know this may well be due to length of time I still have to wait (sob) but I also wonder whether they might be reviewing.    

14 minutes ago, chrisg1uk said:

No, thankfully not another discussion about the merits of "smart tailored shorts" etc.  I have booked to go on Britannia in Jan 2020 and have just noticed that the area on the Personaliser that details the dress code is blank rather than the expected 4 formal and 10 smart casual.   I know this may well be due to length of time I still have to wait (sob) but I also wonder whether they might be reviewing.    

P&O actively enforce Formal night.

This was on Ventura 23-30th August.

IMG_20190825_093620.jpg

Edited by grapau27

39 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

IMG_20190825_093620.jpg

With due respect, I think that you have missed the OPs point. This was not whether the dress code is enforced, but whether the absence online of detailed information for their Jan 2020 cruise was perhaps an indication that it is under review.

Edited by Denarius
spelling

7 minutes ago, Denarius said:

With due respect, I think that you have missed the OPs point. This was not whether the dress code is enforced, but whether the absence online of detailed information for their Jan 2020 cruise was perhaps an indication that it is under review.

Correct, thanks

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

Thank you for your respectful response.

I think with the IT problems on the P&O website it was just an oversight as P&O are quite strict regarding their dress codes on board and we personally saw people being refused entry to these venues on Ventura 23-30th August.

We were advised when booking Azura for next March of the expected dress code so the ops TA should have advised them of P&O dress requirements for their January 2020 cruise which is before ours.

Edited by grapau27

13 hours ago, grapau27 said:

IMG_20190825_093620.jpg

Ah! they have finally admitted that the Glass House is evening casual on formal nights. It always has been although the P&O site listed it as formal. Same for Azura I presume.

Oh dear.  My original post wasn't intended to be any comment on how strictly P&O enforced their dress code or whether someone hadn't told me something they should have.  I am fully aware of the guidance.  It was a simple observation that the dress code section on my Personaliser was blank rather than the expected  4 formal and 10 smart casual.  As Eddie11 suggests above, this is probably due to the length of time I still have to wait but since the current ratios have been in place for some time I was purely wondering whether this absence might be an indication that P&O are considering reviewing it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           On Britainnia, I think the Glass House is smart casual although I believe that doesn't extend to shorts no matter how smart or how much they cost.   The Beach House however certainly allowed shorts in the Caribbean this January as the guy next to me was wearing a football short and shorts and trainers and was joking he had needed to buy some long trousers at the first port as he hadn't brought any with him as didn't think he needed them.   I think P&O really do need to be clear and be consistent as it only leads to upset.     

2 hours ago, chrisg1uk said:

Oh dear.  My original post wasn't intended to be any comment on how strictly P&O enforced their dress code or whether someone hadn't told me something they should have.  I am fully aware of the guidance.  It was a simple observation that the dress code section on my Personaliser was blank rather than the expected  4 formal and 10 smart casual.  As Eddie11 suggests above, this is probably due to the length of time I still have to wait but since the current ratios have been in place for some time I was purely wondering whether this absence might be an indication that P&O are considering reviewing it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           On Britainnia, I think the Glass House is smart casual although I believe that doesn't extend to shorts no matter how smart or how much they cost.   The Beach House however certainly allowed shorts in the Caribbean this January as the guy next to me was wearing a football short and shorts and trainers and was joking he had needed to buy some long trousers at the first port as he hadn't brought any with him as didn't think he needed them.   I think P&O really do need to be clear and be consistent as it only leads to upset.     

P&O are clear about dress code but they are inconsistent about applying it. Without judging people, there are those who push and push despite knowing that its wrong and its left to the poor waiters to sort it out. Its no wonder they get away with it. I was on Azura on a Formal Night in the Malibar and a Caribbean band were playing. They were dressed very smart. In front of us were three slobs in tracksuit trousers and baggy t-shirts. At the break the singer got off the stage and marched up to them and said "Why are you dressed like that? I have made an effort and I think you are disrespectful". He walked away. The slobs finished there pints and left.

All the staff need to do is refuse to serve them food or drink.

Edited by dgs1956
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

During our recent 7 day cruise on Ventura I saw 1 person who looked like a tramp but otherwise everyone else were dressed according to P&O guidelines.

I wasn’t really thinking so much of the dress code. More the underlying character and general behaviour. One of the reasons we avoid the buffet.

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I wasn’t really thinking so much of the dress code. More the underlying character and general behaviour. One of the reasons we avoid the buffet.

We went into Saffron restaurant every lunchtime.

The general behaviour was very good all over the ship.

How sad that a simple question as to whether the absence of evening dress code details for a future cruise might indicate that the matter is under review has degenerated into the usual arguments. People really should keep to the point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Simple enough to do - just stop following the thread.

Well said.

Lots of people have reported problems with P&O Cruise Personaliser and this seems to me the ops answer.

A phone call to P&O guest services hopefully would give the op his answer.

5 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

You should have come over and said Hello Graham... 😊

Andy

We stayed 2 nights in Westquay Premier Inn pre-cruise  and a day shopping!!! In Southampton.

We could have met for a drink and let the girls shop.

Graham

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We stayed 2 nights in Westquay Premier Inn pre-cruise  and a day shopping!!! In Southampton.

We could have met for a drink and let the girls shop.

Graham

You should have said Graham, definitely next time. 

I am always up for a drink and Michelle is always up for shopping... 😊

Andy

17 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

You should have said Graham, definitely next time. 

I am always up for a drink and Michelle is always up for shopping... 😊

Andy

Sounds like a good idea.

We are on RCCL Explorer of the seas October 5th.

I am going to give Paulines car a run out and drive down.

We are staying at the Meon Valley hotel on October 4th.

You are both welcome to join us on the night for a meal and drink.

Graham

Edited by grapau27

On 9/8/2019 at 2:11 PM, grapau27 said:

IMG_20190825_093620.jpg

That's nice that P & O enforces the dress code. At least one cruise line has the balls to enforce them. We need to try them some time.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

That's nice that P & O enforces the dress code. At least one cruise line has the balls to enforce them. We need to try them some time.

If a cruise line has a published dress code, you should comply out of respect for your fellow passengers. Which I always do, even though personally I do not care what my fellow passengers wear as long as acceptable standards of personal hygeine are observed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

If a cruise line has a published dress code, you should comply out of respect for your fellow passengers. Which I always do, even though personally I do not care what my fellow passengers wear as long as acceptable standards of personal hygeine are observed.

We wear gowns and tuxes, but I don't expect others to dress that nice. I don't see why people can't at least put on some nice clothes and wear what is requested. It would be great if Royal (who I have cruised the most on) wouldn't allow shorts, tank tops, etc on formal nights. To me that's classless. A lot of people don't even show pride in themselves. Anyways that's my opinion and I know not everyone sees it the same way. I just didn't know that P & O tries to enforce their dress code which I see as good. 

We would like to get back to the UK as we love it there. We were supposed to be on the Indy TA cruise with a b2b out of Southampton next year, but they cancelled those. They decided to keep her in the Caribbean. 😥

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 9:12 PM, grapau27 said:

Sounds like a good idea.

We are on RCCL Explorer of the seas October 5th.

I am going to give Paulines car a run out and drive down.

We are staying at the Meon Valley hotel on October 4th.

You are both welcome to join us on the night for a meal and drink.

Graham

Wow Captain Graham, are you ever on dry land!! 😄

That would have been lovely and thank you for the invite, but we are on our yearly sabbatical to Essex that week visiting my family, although most of them are dead so it is more a tour of the graveyards. 

I'm sure it won't be long until your next down here, so we will hopefully get to meet up then. 

Andy

40 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Wow Captain Graham, are you ever on dry land!! 😄

That would have been lovely and thank you for the invite, but we are on our yearly sabbatical to Essex that week visiting my family, although most of them are dead so it is more a tour of the graveyards. 

I'm sure it won't be long until your next down here, so we will hopefully get to meet up then. 

Andy

You were both very welcome.

Hope you have a great week in Essex visiting your family.

The next due visit to Southampton is when we disembark Azura from her TA early April.

I'll have to check flights back to Newcastle but no flights available yet to see whether we have a night at WestQuay premier Inn or fly home the same day.

Graham

Edited by grapau27

We have just come off a seven day cruise on the Ventura, the standard of some peoples dress was eye-opening.  I don't expect people to be in shirt and tie all the time, but to come on board as if you have been dragged through a hedge is a bit much.  Nice casual clothes don't need to cost much, just put a bit more effort into the dress sense.

• Like 1