If I book a cabin as a single??????

mek

I want to go to Japan next fall.  Right now I don't have anyone who wants to take the trip with me so I will pay double.  If I find someone to go after final payment can I add them to my booking for no additional charge?  Not sure if this is possible as a name change since there won't be another name on my reservation unless I use my husband's.  (I know he isn't going with me.)  If I use his name and then he doesn't go wouldn't I have to pay double for port charges and gratuitiies ?

I've never cruised alone so this will be new to me.

4 minutes ago, mek said:

I want to go to Japan next fall.  Right now I don't have anyone who wants to take the trip with me so I will pay double.  If I find someone to go after final payment can I add them to my booking for no additional charge?  Not sure if this is possible as a name change since there won't be another name on my reservation unless I use my husband's.  (I know he isn't going with me.)  If I use his name and then he doesn't go wouldn't I have to pay double for port charges and gratuitiies ?

I've never cruised alone so this will be new to me.

There was just a long thread on this very question last week I think.

Yes you can add a second person as long as the original booked person stays the same.

There is a possibility that closer to sailing the cruise could be at capacity for the vessel and/or the fire zones onboard. In that case you would not be able to add anyone.

As far as price not sure how they figure that one out. I doubt that you can just add an name/passenger and not have any of the figures change.

If you think someone else MIGHT be going with you, it might be better to book for two, using your husband's name as the second. If you find someone else to go, you can change the name of one person in the cabin as long as the first person stays the same.

There has been a discussion that if you don't find someone else, let your husband be a 'no show' rather than change the booking back to a solo. Your husband should be refunded the port fees. You definitely would not be charged double gratuities because these are charged to your on-board account.

• Like 1

I've taken multiple cruises on Princess booked as a solo then later added my SO, most recently in July. When you originally book you are charged double the price for the cabin (except in the unlikely event they have a solo special - this has only happened to me once and I ended up taking that cruise solo). You are charged only for one for the port charges and tax. When you add the other person, you must pay the port charges and tax for him/her but the cabin price remains the same. I have never been told the ship was at capacity and I couldn't add an additional person to the cabin but it is possible.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pizzalady1 said:

What happens with non-refundable OBC. Currently my husband and I have $500 each. If a name change is made, will the new person get the $500? 

Is it 'personal' OBC or is it a perk that came with the booking? By personal I mean shareholders credit and military credit. If it comes with the booking, then the new person would get it. If it is personal, then no-one gets it - unless the new person is entitled to it in their own right.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

I always think it is easier to remove a passenger than add one, especially on a popular itinerary. If you book solo and want to add later you're taking a risk. My sister was invited to come on my upcoming cruise and she decided not to at the time. She has recently changed her mind but the cruise is sold out. It doesn't matter that there is a spare bed in the cabin, she cannot be booked on the cruise.

Princess are pretty good with cabin and name changes, in fact, name changes can be made up until 48 hours prior to departure with no penalty (as long as one original passenger remains on the booking), so, IMHO, it's better to book for two and remove later. I also believe Princess will refund the 2nd person's taxes and port charges if they do not travel.

Edited by mum and son
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Is it 'personal' OBC or is it a perk that came with the booking? By personal I mean shareholders credit and military credit. If it comes with the booking, then the new person would get it. If it is personal, then no-one gets it - unless the new person is entitled to it in their own right.

Thanks. It came with the booking from the latest promotion.

19 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

There was just a long thread on this very question last week I think.

Yes you can add a second person as long as the original booked person stays the same.

There is a possibility that closer to sailing the cruise could be at capacity for the vessel and/or the fire zones onboard. In that case you would not be able to add anyone.

As far as price not sure how they figure that one out. I doubt that you can just add an name/passenger and not have any of the figures change.

It could be at full capacity MINUS 1 because this person is alone in the cabin, therefore under capacity.  Plus to be at capacity, all cabins would have to be full - IE: 4 in cabin that can accommodate 4.

4 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

It could be at full capacity MINUS 1 because this person is alone in the cabin, therefore under capacity.  Plus to be at capacity, all cabins would have to be full - IE: 4 in cabin that can accommodate 4.

No that is not how that works.

The ship will not sail with every single berth filled.

They will actually let a cabin go empty for a cruise if that section is at their set capacity.

We have had this happen before. There were several cabins that were available but we could not book because that section of the ship reached the limit for fire/safety reasons.

Don't kill the messenger.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mum and son said:

I always think it is easier to remove a passenger than add one, especially on a popular itinerary. If you book solo and want to add later you're taking a risk. My sister was invited to come on my upcoming cruise and she decided not to at the time. She has recently changed her mind but the cruise is sold out. It doesn't matter that there is a spare bed in the cabin, she cannot be booked on the cruise.

Princess are pretty good with cabin and name changes, in fact, name changes can be made up until 48 hours prior to departure with no penalty (as long as one original passenger remains on the booking), so, IMHO, it's better to book for two and remove later. I also believe Princess will refund the 2nd person's taxes and port charges if they do not travel.

So I would receive a refund for the taxes and port charges if they don't travel, but if I book a second person and they decide not to go, after final payment I would forfeit that deposit - correct?

37 minutes ago, mek said:

if I book a second person and they decide not to go, after final payment I would forfeit that deposit - correct?

No, think of this example. Generally a solo cabin costs the same as a twin cabin overall. So, if the cruise in a twin was $500pp and for a single it was $1000pp, the total cost is still $1000 paid at final payment. Whether one person or 2 people go it is still $1000. The deposit becomes irrelevant after final payment because you've paid in full. There is no deposit to refund.

The only time this doesn't work is if you originally purchase on a solo traveller special, which are not overly common.

Edited by mum and son

15 minutes ago, mum and son said:

No, think of this example. Generally a solo cabin costs the same as a twin cabin overall. So, if the cruise in a twin was $500pp and for a single it was $1000pp, the total cost is still $1000 paid at final payment. Whether one person or 2 people go it is still $1000. The deposit becomes irrelevant after final payment because you've paid in full. There is no deposit to refund.

The only time this doesn't work is if you originally purchase on a solo traveller special, which are not overly common.

ok - thanks