Settle our Disagreement!

RumpunchGirl

1 minute ago, RumpunchGirl said:

DH and I have Cheers but I would like to carry on a bottle of wine to have in our cabin for convenience. He thinks that would be silly since we have "Free" wine all cruise. Has anyone else carried on wine even if you have cheers?

Yes.  And I've also had bottle liquor service in addition to cheers.

If you have a favorite wine you both want to enjoy on your balcony or for a special night, it's a great idea.  If you don't drink it, take it back home.  It's vacation, enjoy it.  My husband thinks I haul along way too many things I don't need but that's his opinion and I tell him I need everything I pack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RumpunchGirl said:

15 drinks is more than enough.  So, when I'm relaxing on my balcony listening to the ocean waves, I send DH out to the bar for my glass of wine! 😉

Sounds like a good solution to me! If he doesn't want you to bring the wine, he automatically signs up for bar service!!! 😃

4 hours ago, RumpunchGirl said:

DH and I have Cheers but I would like to carry on a bottle of wine to have in our cabin for convenience. He thinks that would be silly since we have "Free" wine all cruise. Has anyone else carried on wine even if you have cheers?

you can "carry on" a bottle of wine or champagne per person per room over the age of 21 even with the cheers package. this is very convenient to have for when you're hanging out in your room or getting ready for dinner or if you have a balcony. you can enjoy a drink without having to walk to the bar and back. sometimes that can be far depending on where your room is at. 

I have brought on wine before out of NYC, but that is because Cheers is not available until day 2 from NYC & Galveston. Regardless it's still not a bad idea to bring it, if you don't drink it you can still bring it home. I've also found the wines by the glass included with Cheers to be so-so, if there is a specific bottle you love maybe bring one and save it for formal night.  

8 hours ago, EngineCo52 said:

you can "carry on" a bottle of wine or champagne per person per room over the age of 21 even with the cheers package. this is very convenient to have for when you're hanging out in your room or getting ready for dinner or if you have a balcony. you can enjoy a drink without having to walk to the bar and back. sometimes that can be far depending on where your room is at. 

Agreed! That's why I want to bring one. I think he'll change his mind. 

11 hours ago, christyran1228 said:

I have, because I cruise out of Galveston and Cheers isnt available on the first day.  🍾

This is a very good point and is the main reason I would never cruise out of Galveston, because our bar bill would be well over $200 on day one.  Of course if I lived within an easy drive of Galveston I might feel differently. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RumpunchGirl said:

Another vote for bring the wine! I like to pick up a bottle of champagne for sailaway - the ship prices for it are excruciating!

14 hours ago, RumpunchGirl said:

Last time we did cheers we carried on 2 bottles of wine, a 12pk of beer, 2x 750mls of vodka, 10 mini shooters. We still maxed out most days.

On our upcoming cruise, we are only going to carry on 2 bottles of wine with our cheers.

I say take it. It takes little effort to bring a bottle of wine with you. It's not about whether or not Cheers is enough, it's more about convenience. It's the same reason why many people will bring a 12-pack of soda onboard. Yeah, I can go buy one, but if I'm in my cabin and want a soda, with very little effort on embarkation day, I can have some right there in my fridge and don't have to go to a bar.

15 minutes ago, kylesplash said:

Last time we did cheers we carried on 2 bottles of wine, a 12pk of beer, 2x 750mls of vodka, 10 mini shooters. We still maxed out most days.

On our upcoming cruise, we are only going to carry on 2 bottles of wine with our cheers.

Phew. With all that booze you brought on board PLUS the cheers package, it's a wonder you remember your cruise at all.:classic_wacko:

If it is convenient to purchase before boarding, then we will bring on a bottle.  We always fly from the West coast, so it is not always easy to get.  We like to have a glass in the room while getting ready.  Galveston is one port where it really comes in handy!

If you enjoy good wine I'd absolutely bring it. Carnival's wine selection is drinkable at the higher tiers, but that's about it. I made the mistake of trying that Kathy Lee Gifford wine once, and literally couldn't finish it it was so bad.

I mean when Kendall Jackson is considered one of the higher tier wines? You know you're not getting much on the quality level. That stuff sells for $12 a bottle at Target. That doesn't make a you a wine snob at all.

For a nice cruise, I think getting a couple of nice $30 and up bottles and bringing them for before dinner in the stateroom is a nice idea. Then you can take them with you to the dining room in your glasses with a heavy pour. The cheers package is great for cocktails but I think it's a waste on the wine.

18 hours ago, RumpunchGirl said:

I have taken wine when cruising out of Galveston since CHEERS doesn't activate until day 2. That is unless I have OBC. If I have OBC then I'll just use that for drinks the first day and not take any wine. Other than that, I wouldn't take any if I had CHEERS. More space for other things and I don't have to worry about packing it gingerly so that it won't break. 

18 hours ago, RumpunchGirl said:

15 drinks is more than enough.  So, when I'm relaxing on my balcony listening to the ocean waves, I send DH out to the bar for my glass of wine! 😉

It's totally a personal preference.  I tend to agree with your DH, but I see your point.  I like your solution though. 😉