"Soundproofing" on Navigator

Just2guys

A quick question for those of you who have been on the Navigator recently.....

We were on this ship in 2002 --- I know, a lifetime ago in the world of cruising!  The pictures we have seen from the recent upgrades and refurbishments give the ship a completely different and more modern look --- all positives.  I know they do not have as many specialty restaurants, as well as other "quirks" which, from reading these boards, appeal to some....and others, not so much.

Way back in 2002 we were in a veranda cabin and I have to admit that every time the phone rang in the cabin next to ours, we could not only hear the ring but the entire conversation that transpired.  I do not think the people in the next cabin were unusually loud...but the soundproofing  -- or lack thereof -- was quite noticeable throughout the sailing.  While it did not necessarily ruin the cruise,  it was noticeable and hard to block out at times as there seemed to be a lot of phone conversations in their cabin...lol.

Anyway, for people who have recently been on the Navigator....has anyone found this to be an issue? (Well, an issue for me anyways).  We have been on many cruises and never really noticed this before...yes, the odd door or drawer slamming and such, but not conversations in the next cabin that we could hear so easily.  We will be on the Splendor next year and are considering an itinerary on the Navigator...but a little hesitant based on our prior experience.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

We just disembarked Navigator last week after a 20 night sailing, Amsterdam to NY.

Our suite, a category E, was on Deck 6, and we did in fact hear our neighbors from time to time.   It was nothing major, just talking that was a bit louder than one might normally expect in a suite of that size.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.  It was our first time on Navigator.   We were a little apprehensive about the size of the ship (smallest on which we've sailed) and the often-commented vibration issues.  Neither proved to be an issue for us.  Given the right itinerary, we would not hesitate to book Navigator again.  Service and cuisine on board were excellent.

7 hours ago, Just2guys said:

Anyway, for people who have recently been on the Navigator....has anyone found this to be an issue? (Well, an issue for me anyways). 

We have been on Navigator twice this year and did not notice any disturbance from our neighbours.

You could try trawling through the spreadsheet for Navigator on SuiteGuru to see if there are any reports of similar issues to those you encountered previously.

I just counted up---I've spent 192 nights on Navigator, almost all of them on Deck 6. Latest was last summer.  In all that time, I've heard my neighbors maybe a half-dozen times. The soundproofing is not as good as on Explorer (where the soundproofing is extraordinary), but is no worse than any other ship I've been on.

In my experience on the NAV (199 days since 2003) and of many others the biggest issue with noise is in the aft cabins from the sound coming up from the theater below. Read the comments on the cabin guru link about noise complaint comments. As far as any noise issues from adjoining cabins, nothing particular comes to mind.

J

39 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

One of the reasons that we do not prefer Navigator is the noise between suites.  On our last Navigator cruise, the couple kept the television on all night and we could hear it.  Not a great experience.

How long ago was that?  We were on deck 6 and never heard our neighbors.