Cabin Upgrade After Final Payment

Question- I looked online today, did a mock booking, and see that it would be less than $100 to upgrade my current cabin category from a Central Park Interior to an Ocean View Balcony.  I am well past the final payment date.   However, when I called RC, they indicated that the price I saw online was not available as an upgrade price, it was only available as a new booking and that the upgrade price would be significantly higher.  I even asked to speak with a superior and they said the same thing.

I politely declined because it just seems like price gouging to me to expect me to pay close to $1000 more to upgrade when someone booking new only has to pay $88 more than the price of my current cabin category.

Does this seem right?  Any other way to get the upgrade at the website price?  BTW, the Royal Up minimum bid to upgrade is $500 per person.

If the price was listed in the weekly sales flyer, then it could be restricted to new bookings.

Sales flyer is here:  http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Keep watching the price, if it does not change and it is no longer listed in the next flyer (due Thursday afternoon), then you still may be able to get it.

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

If the price was listed in the weekly sales flyer, then it could be restricted to new bookings.

Sales flyer is here:  http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Keep watching the price, if it does not change and it is no longer listed in the next flyer (due Thursday afternoon), then you still may be able to get it.

I just looked at the link you provided, and it doesn't appear that its listed on the sales flyer- cruise isn't until November.  I found the price on the "regular" website.

Edited by stampingoddess
additional content

8 minutes ago, stampingoddess said:

I just looked at the link you provided, and it doesn't appear that its listed on the sales flyer- cruise isn't until November.  I found the price on the "regular" website.

Then I don't see why you should not be able to upgrade for the posted web price, unless Royal has very recently implemented some new policy.

I'd try calling Crown & Anchor if you are a member.

18 minutes ago, stampingoddess said:

I politely declined because it just seems like price gouging to me to expect me to pay close to $1000 more to upgrade when someone booking new only has to pay $88 more than the price of my current cabin category.

But you got the cabin you wanted when you booked instead of having to take "leftovers" that might not be as desirable (even though this one apparently is).  I know that doesn't seem logical at all.  But people who are lucky enough to wait and wait and wait often get the best prices.   

20 minutes ago, stampingoddess said:

Your sailing (Harmony 11/3) IS on the flyer Bob provided.  you might not have scrolled down far enough.  Those ARE restricted to new bookings.  Like Bob said if the price is still there Thursday call back

Edited by molly361

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Your sailing (Harmony 11/3) IS on the flyer Bob provided.  you might not have scrolled down far enough.  Those ARE restricted to new bookings.  Like Bob said if the price is still there Thursday call back

Thanks, your right I didn’t scroll down far enough 

8 minutes ago, stampingoddess said:

Thanks, your right I didn’t scroll down far enough 

If the price is still there Thursday morning call back.  I saw that yesterday on their website.  Great prices for neighborhood balconies as well.  Good luck

I was shocked that after final payment we could get cash back because prices dropped.  I noticed a higher category room (2I - boardwalk balcony) was cheaper than an interior we booked a month ago.  Apparently as long as you are upgrading to a higher category room after final payment then you are able to get a price drop.  For us it was a huge win-win as I didn’t think we could take advantage of a price drop after final payment.  No brainer decision for us, much better room and cash refund!

4 minutes ago, Pianogrl44 said:

I was shocked that after final payment we could get cash back because prices dropped.  I noticed a higher category room (2I - boardwalk balcony) was cheaper than an interior we booked a month ago.  Apparently as long as you are upgrading to a higher category room after final payment then you are able to get a price drop.  For us it was a huge win-win as I didn’t think we could take advantage of a price drop after final payment.  No brainer decision for us, much better room and cash refund!

Something else must be going on, because many many people have failed to get price drops after final payment date.

12 minutes ago, Pianogrl44 said:

I see that you just changed today. Don't be surprised if that credit doesn't show up

• Like 1

Ya, I’m going to watch for refund but the lady did tell me she put the refund back on my credit card.  Either way, I’m happy for an upgraded room even if I don’t get the refund.  I was worried they wouldn’t even let me change since the room was cheaper.

12 minutes ago, Pianogrl44 said:

Ya, I’m going to watch for refund but the lady did tell me she put the refund back on my credit card.  Either way, I’m happy for an upgraded room even if I don’t get the refund.  I was worried they wouldn’t even let me change since the room was cheaper.

Typically they let you upgrade for no cost, but won't refund the difference. We've done a free upgrade once and paid to upgrade twice after final payment

On 9/17/2019 at 1:12 PM, Host Clarea said:

Hi Clarea, 

I am in the same situation as the OP. I noticed that the “Going going gone” sale ends at Wednesday 11:59PM ET. If I wake up tomorrow morning and the price is the same, does that mean the deal is over and I should be able to upgrade at the online price? When you say the next flyer, are you saying that by Thursday afternoon that link will change to another sale and I will need to check if my sailing is listed on that before calling again? 

12 minutes ago, AlanLW9 said:

Hi Clarea, 

I am in the same situation as the OP. I noticed that the “Going going gone” sale ends at Wednesday 11:59PM ET. If I wake up tomorrow morning and the price is the same, does that mean the deal is over and I should be able to upgrade at the online price? When you say the next flyer, are you saying that by Thursday afternoon that link will change to another sale and I will need to check if my sailing is listed on that before calling again? 

Correct on both questions.  Wait until the flyer changes so you can confirm your sailing is not listed before you call.

4 hours ago, Pianogrl44 said:

if they did refund you should see it on the website , it should reactivate the make a payment option and the amount would be there on negative 

9 minutes ago, Deseo1578 said:

if they did refund you should see it on the website , it should reactivate the make a payment option and the amount would be there on negative 

I went and checked and it doesn't look like I'm getting a refund.  Balance is reading 0.00 even though amount paid is more than package price.  I'm disappointed the customer service agent was incorrect on the phone, but at the same time when I initially called for the upgrade I didn't figure I would see the refund.  Just happy to be cruising in a better room than I expected to be.

I would be REALLY upset if you actually got the refund.

We upgraded on our first cruise from a Jr Suite and Balcony, to a 2 bedroom Grand Suite.  As we had booked late, the savings was several THOUSAND dollars.

I could not even get $100 OBC for the lower price.

I'm glad I saw this topic. I just saved $100 on a cruise I booked for November 2020. Inside guarantee that I had already booked last month when I had to replace my Vision TA September 2020 cruise. Once again cruise critic helps out. Granted it isn't a huge savings but I'll take it. We now owe $76 next August for the final payment. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would come back and update for those asking.  I was checking my credit card statements today and I indeed got a refund of $231 to my credit card from Royal Caribbean as was stated to me on the phone.  I wasn't expecting it, but it showed up about 6 days later on Sept 24th and we were definitely after final payment since this is a thanksgiving cruise.  I don't know if it makes a difference that this was booked through a big "C" warehouse travel site but just thought I would let you know.

10 minutes ago, Pianogrl44 said:

Just thought I would come back and update for those asking.  I was checking my credit card statements today and I indeed got a refund of $231 to my credit card from Royal Caribbean as was stated to me on the phone.  I wasn't expecting it, but it showed up about 6 days later on Sept 24th and we were definitely after final payment since this is a thanksgiving cruise.  I don't know if it makes a difference that this was booked through a big "C" warehouse travel site but just thought I would let you know.

are you sure you weren't really outside of final payment date?

Ship and sailing date?

Edited by cruisinfanatic

4 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

are you sure you weren't really outside of final payment date?

Ship and sailing date?

Yes, I'm 100% positive.  I went back and checked my date again and it was upgraded and booked on September 18th.  We sail on November 23rd.  I did final payment back in August automatically at the 3 month mark.

24 minutes ago, Pianogrl44 said:

Someone at Royal  must have mistakenly hit the refund button.  Don't have a clue about their checks and balances when that happens (apparently they are not so good I think someone else just reported getting a refund after final payment date)  Anyway good for you

• Like 1