Antarctica Optional Excursions

Heartfelttraveler

We are booked on the 12 night Antarctica expedition in December 2020.

For those of you who have done this trip - Are there optional excursions in/on Antarctica?

Or are all the landings etc. offered included?

(I am not talking about pre and post cruise in Ushuaia or Buenos Aires.)

I have looked on the Hurtigruten website for this year and all I see are the pre and post.

(It will be much easier on the wallet if everything is included.)

Depends on what you call "excursions". In Antarctica all landings are included and some zodiac rides (for instance when landings are not possible and a zodiac ride is offered instead).

If you want to do some additional activities such as kayaking or camping (if available on the trip) then it is extra. There can also be some paying extra zodiac rides.

Also if your trip visit the Falkland Islands (but with this short a trip I don't think it does) there can be some paying excursions in Stanley.

But basically you can get all the enjoyment of your trip without paying anything extra, you will not be left on board. For instance when some people do kayaking (extra cost) the others will go on a landing (included).

This above is based on my experience on MS Fram, so maybe there are some differences on the other ships.

Edited by SarniaLo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SarniaLo said:

This above is based on my experience on MS Fram, so maybe there are some differences on the other ships.

We were on the Midnatsol last year and that was our experience also.  And those 'zodiaks' (I understand they're actually a different brand.) get up close and personal 🙂

IMG_6342.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 9:54 AM, Heartfelttraveler said:

We are booked on the 12 night Antarctica expedition in December 2020.

For those of you who have done this trip - Are there optional excursions in/on Antarctica?

Or are all the landings etc. offered included?

(I am not talking about pre and post cruise in Ushuaia or Buenos Aires.)

I have looked on the Hurtigruten website for this year and all I see are the pre and post.

(It will be much easier on the wallet if everything is included.)

I am booked on the Antarctica cruise on MS Midnstsol over Christmas 2019, so I will be there a year before you.

I received an excursion booking form with the following optional excursions listed:

• Kayaking Adventure (2 to 4 hours) (bookable in advance or onboard) (maximum 24 passengers) (US$199 per person)
  • An Amundsen Night in Antarctica (overnight, max 10 hours) (bookable onboard only) (maximum 24 passengers) (approximately US$833 per person - final price to be provided onboard)
  • Snowshoes in Antarctica (bookable onboard only) (maximum 24 passengers) (approximately US$108 per person - final price to be provided onboard)

You can expect to receive the information for your cruise a couple of months prior to departure.

The form I received appears to apply to all of the summer 2019-2020 cruises. I would expect a different form (with possibly different prices) for your summer 2020-2021 cruise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:
  • An Amundsen Night in Antarctica (overnight, max 10 hours) (bookable onboard only) (maximum 24 passengers) (approximately US$833 per person - final price to be provided onboard)
  •  

Holey moley.  I heard about this but had no idea it was that expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 12:56 AM, clo said:

Holey moley.  I heard about this but had no idea it was that expensive.

For me worth every penny. 🙂 It's done by lottery since so many people want to do it and it's only offered once per voyage and limited to 30 when I sailed. Looks like it says limit to 24 now?

• Like 1