Elevated head of bed

trishtoro

Hi everyone! 

I am currently on the Connie and just wanted to start a separate post with a tip about beds. 

At home I sleep on an adjustable bed and due to GERD (acid reflux) I sleep with my head elevated. I’m also a horrible snorer. 

I called special services for disabilities and asked them to elevate my side of the bed and it’s been working perfectly 👍

For me at home, I also elevate my legs so I pretty much sleep in zero gravity position. To elevate my legs, I bought an inflatable wedge pillow off Amazon with a cheap pump. 

problem solved....so if you need your head or legs elevated, or both these are your solutions!

10 hours ago, misha1 said:

How did they elevate the head of bed?  Did they put blocks under or is there really an option for waist level elevation of the head of bed?

They used some type of board I believe. I can take a photo when I’m in the room. 

Yes, I had the bed elevated on our recent Silhouette cruise. Worked really well although my wife had to ask for her side to be lowered a little.

We were in a Celebrity Suite. The bed seemed to have a mechanism to elevate the head end but it was only done from the waist upwards. At home the whole bed is raised at the head end.

It worked! No reflux.

9 hours ago, misha1 said:

Interesting.  We were considering a recliner rental but if they can elevate the bed at the waist that would solve the need.  I will definitely inquire.  Thanks for the heads up!

You’re welcome! I hope it works out for you

Are usually have to ask for extra pillows to prop myself up would love to see a picture of how they actually did this in your room . I’ve gotten so used to or adjustable bed sleeping away from home is becoming more difficult . They always laugh when I say I need at least eight pillows on our bed 😂

15 hours ago, sdnich said:

Are usually have to ask for extra pillows to prop myself up would love to see a picture of how they actually did this in your room . I’ve gotten so used to or adjustable bed sleeping away from home is becoming more difficult . They always laugh when I say I need at least eight pillows on our bed 😂

Aren’t adjustable beds the best?

I felt under the mattress and it’s actually foam propping the mattress up

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kathynorth said:

Trishnoro, thanks for posting this info! A picture would be great. Did you contact special needs before your cruise or after you were on the ship?

I just posted a pic above probably after you asked. It seems that it’s a foam wedge underneath. I felt a little low compared to my leg wedge (that I brought on) so I used one of the large European sham pillows that are on the bed and put that under my mid back. I brought my cervical head pillow from home so with all of that it feels pretty close to my bed at home. I’ve had no episodes of GERD and no backaches.

I did call ahead of time but it was not set up when I got here so I then asked my room steward and butler and was able to point out which side of the bed I wanted prepared like that.

10 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I too sleep in basically the zero gravity position, but it never dawned on me that I could ask to have the head of the bed elevated.  DH sometimes raises the head but usually not.  It's nice to know that they can raise only one side.  Thanks for the information!

You’re welcome! And I bought the leg wedge off Amazon with a cheap pump so I’ve been in zero gravity here too!

On 9/25/2019 at 7:12 AM, crazyman3 said:

Yes, I had the bed elevated on our recent Silhouette cruise. Worked really well although my wife had to ask for her side to be lowered a little.

We were in a Celebrity Suite. The bed seemed to have a mechanism to elevate the head end but it was only done from the waist upwards. At home the whole bed is raised at the head end.

It worked! No reflux.

Awesome!

9 hours ago, trishtoro said:

I just posted a pic above probably after you asked. It seems that it’s a foam wedge underneath. I felt a little low compared to my leg wedge (that I brought on) so I used one of the large European sham pillows that are on the bed and put that under my mid back. I brought my cervical head pillow from home so with all of that it feels pretty close to my bed at home. I’ve had no episodes of GERD and no backaches.

I did call ahead of time but it was not set up when I got here so I then asked my room steward and butler and was able to point out which side of the bed I wanted prepared like that.

I appreciate your quick response! Now I'll be able to know what the cabin attendant should be able to do to elevate my side of the bed. Thank you!