Hotels in Santiago and Buenos Aires

TeeRick

Going to S. America on Celebrity Eclipse Jan 2020 and need hotel recommendations for Santiago Chile and Buenos Aires Argentina. I am trying to gain a perspective on the best areas of each city to book a hotel.  I am looking for most convenient hotel area to walk-able attractions and dining,  and safety.  Any thoughts??  Also any advice on going from the Santiago downtown area to the cruise port in Santiago?  Thank You!

The first thing I would check is what cruise port are you going from. Santiago is not a port. It will be Valparaiso or more likely San Antonio. We are staying in both places ( Santiago and BA) in January but I would not necessarily recommend either place because I don’t know.

14 hours ago, joybook said:

The first thing I would check is what cruise port are you going from. Santiago is not a port. It will be Valparaiso or more likely San Antonio. We are staying in both places ( Santiago and BA) in January but I would not necessarily recommend either place because I don’t know.

Yes we are going out of San Antonio.  Sorry for the confusion in my original post.

15 hours ago, clo said:

I don't have a specific rec for BA because we're staying in an airbnb for several days.  But it's in the Recoleta which is great.

https://www.vogue.com/article/recoleta-buenos-aires-neighborhood-travel-guide

Like your dog 🙂 What is s/he?

Thank you for the advice on Recoleta!  My pup is a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier.  Is your baby a poodle?

I can recommend the Hotel Plaza San Francisco in Santiago. The hotel is located within walking distance of the Plaza de Armas and many other sights (Santa Lucia Hill, La Moneda, HOHO bus route, etc.) in downtown Santiago. Reasonably priced and included a great breakfast each morning. Quite a few from our HAL cruise stayed there this past February. 

To get to the port, we took a taxi the short distance from the hotel to the bus station and took the public bus for $6/person from Santiago to San Antonio. We arrived at the station at 10 am, purchased our tickets using a credit card and were on the 10:20 am bus. Around noon we arrived at the bus station in San Antonio where a shuttle was available for $5/person to take us to the port. At 12:45 pm we were unlocking the door to our stateroom.

If you would like additional information or to see photos there is a link to my blog in my signature where you can read daily posts from our South America/Antarctica cruise . 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thank you for the advice on Recoleta!  My pup is a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier.  Is your baby a poodle?

We used to have an Airedale and she was so sweet.  This guy is a one year old red toy poodle named (drum roll please) "Hairy Red Dog."  🙂

We stayed in Recollata for 4 days and it was an easy walk to certain places.

It depends on budget, going we used Four Seasons, it was amazing.

Returning on end of cruise we had points and used the Hyatt down the street and it was ok.

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

TeeRick,

We are booked at a hotel in the Recoleta area (Arc Recoleta).  Can't give you a personal recommendation since we have never been in BA.  Chose the hotel by the area.

Larry & Linda

1 hour ago, MSCruiseFan said:

TeeRick,

We are booked at a hotel in the Recoleta area (Arc Recoleta).  Can't give you a personal recommendation since we have never been in BA.  Chose the hotel by the area.

Larry & Linda

Thank You!

17 hours ago, Trend said:

Returning on end of cruise we had points and used the Hyatt down the street and it was ok.

Thanks for your advice!

22 hours ago, clo said:

We used to have an Airedale and she was so sweet.  This guy is a one year old red toy poodle named (drum roll please) "Hairy Red Dog."  🙂

Great name!  Our girl is named Lena Loo Loo and she is 18 months.  

23 hours ago, AryMay said:

I can recommend the Hotel Plaza San Francisco in Santiago. The hotel is located within walking distance of the Plaza de Armas and many other sights (Santa Lucia Hill, La Moneda, HOHO bus route, etc.) in downtown Santiago. Reasonably priced and included a great breakfast each morning. Quite a few from our HAL cruise stayed there this past February. 

To get to the port, we took a taxi the short distance from the hotel to the bus station and took the public bus for $6/person from Santiago to San Antonio. We arrived at the station at 10 am, purchased our tickets using a credit card and were on the 10:20 am bus. Around noon we arrived at the bus station in San Antonio where a shuttle was available for $5/person to take us to the port. At 12:45 pm we were unlocking the door to our stateroom.

If you would like additional information or to see photos there is a link to my blog in my signature where you can read daily posts from our South America/Antarctica cruise . 

AryMay- thanks so much for the advice and I will check out the blog.  I am not sure about a bus since we will have pretty large suitcases for such a long cruise.  I will need to convince dw!

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

AryMay- thanks so much for the advice and I will check out the blog.  I am not sure about a bus since we will have pretty large suitcases for such a long cruise.  I will need to convince dw!

The luggage wasn't a problem. It is stored under the bus and you are given a claim ticket. Between us and our friends we had a LOT of luggage! 

23 hours ago, vakamalua said:

We like boutique hotels and will be staying at the Melia Recoleta Plaza in BA and Le Reve in Santiago,

We are also big fans of the boutique hotel - and the two you mention here look like great finds.  I've added them to my BA and Chile folders.  Many thanks!

23 hours ago, AryMay said:

The luggage wasn't a problem. It is stored under the bus and you are given a claim ticket. Between us and our friends we had a LOT of luggage! 

OK very good to know!  Just need to get luggage to the bus station.

Several of us stayed at the Hotel Plaza San Francisco, good price, location, breakfast, large comfortable rooms. Tip: contact the hotel a week prior to reconfirm your reservation, so there is no confusion at check in.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 8:55 AM, dog said:

Several of us stayed at the Hotel Plaza San Francisco, good price, location, breakfast, large comfortable rooms. Tip: contact the hotel a week prior to reconfirm your reservation, so there is no confusion at check in.

We decided to stay at this hotel.  Thanks for the tip but did you have an issue at check in?  Do you know if the hotel can arrange transport to the cruise port in San Antonio?

On 9/26/2019 at 3:47 PM, Trend said:

We decided on the Savoy Hotel.  Does anybody know it?