Service charge

JBRN1982

1 minute ago, JBRN1982 said:

Is the service charge added to the bill a gratuity? It is not clear whether it is. Thanks

Hate to disagree with Bob, but this is what we were told by our waiter in Jamie's last Nov. on Symphony.  The service charge goes into the pool and the waiter would receive about $3.00.  Any extra tip that is left after dinner and is extra from the service charge  is for the waiter and he can keep it. He said that in Jamie's most of them work the same shift at Jamie's for the whole cruise and that in their case they all pool all the extra tip money and help each other out.  Some waiters in other Specialty restaurants do not pool their tips and rarely help each other. Bob, please respond and let me know if I was fed a load of bull from the waiter.  He also said when you purchase a package online it says service charge and when you purchase onboard or pay full price the 18% is listed as gratuity and the waiter keeps most of it and a small amount goes into the pool. 

4 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Hate to disagree with Bob, but this is what we were told by our waiter in Jamie's last Nov. on Symphony.  The service charge goes into the pool and the waiter would receive about $3.00.  Any extra tip that is left after dinner and is extra from the service charge  is for the waiter and he can keep it. He said that in Jamie's most of them work the same shift at Jamie's for the whole cruise and that in their case they all pool all the extra tip money and help each other out.  Some waiters in other Specialty restaurants do not pool their tips and rarely help each other. Bob, please respond and let me know if I was fed a load of bull from the waiter.  He also said when you purchase a package online it says service charge and when you purchase onboard or pay full price the 18% is listed as gratuity and the waiter keeps most of it and a small amount goes into the pool. 

Note that I did not say that 100% of the service charge goes to the server.

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Note that I did not say that 100% of the service charge goes to the server.

So is it true that some receipts say service charge and the next table over it might say gratuity, and the waiter would get different amounts based on the what is on the receipt.  How do you know how much to tip, we usually leave $10.00 for two of us thinking the waiter get the tip and the service charge.. 

A gratuity is a voluntary amount of money given in exchange for a service performed. also referred to as a tip.

Tips should also be given freely (without coercion) and the customer giving the tip should be able to determine who receives the payment.

On the RCI website during the booking process, they give the option to 'prepay gratuities' and clearly state they are not mandatory.

A service charge is compulsory and is not an amount that customers choose to pay. It is pre determined by the vendor.

I think RCI causes confusion over 'service charge' and 'gratuity'.

On our booking invoice, the prepaid 'gratuity' is listed as On Board Service Charge.

Edited by icsys
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

So is it true that some receipts say service charge and the next table over it might say gratuity, and the waiter would get different amounts based on the what is on the receipt.  How do you know how much to tip, we usually leave $10.00 for two of us thinking the waiter get the tip and the service charge.. 

This is why there are so many tip threads because the whole issue is unclear.

I think there are always going to be some crew who in their own way try to guilt trip passengers for their own personal gain.

We regularly use Speciality Restaurants and my choice if our service deserves it which it always does is to give a minimum $10 cash tip regardless of the fact we always pre-pay ship gratuities etc.

It IS the gratuity.   You are under no obligation to extend more.  This covers your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiters.  Bar tabs (or packages) have the tip added to the cost of drink/package.  

They say the ship is "cashless"....so you don't have to carry cash around with you to tip.  If you feel someone has gone "above and beyond", you may tip them additionally on the last evening, as is customary with cruising.