Cooperstown, NY

lois1112

On 9/27/2019 at 6:38 AM, Nitemare said:

It's about a 4 hour drive each way.  You could fly into NYC early and drive up there and spend a day or two, or fly into Albany and then take bus or train to NYC

Cooperstown is a fun place to visit.  . . . and we visited the nearby Doubleday Field and a lake all in one day. It is in a rural setting that is very scenic.  But, it is a distance from NYC and traffic there can be brutal. [getting in/out of NYC]

I agree that flying into Albany is best.  You would waste at least half of 2 days getting there and back from NYC.  JMHO  

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

2 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I agree that flying into Albany is best.  You would waste at least half of 2 days getting there and back from NYC. 

Or fly into Syracuse. Either Syracuse or Albany would work-- about the same drive. Just depends which one had better flight schedules for you. 

23 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Or fly into Syracuse. Either Syracuse or Albany would work-- about the same drive. Just depends which one had better flight schedules for you. 

True--but Syracuse is farther from NYC than Albany.  I also noted that Albany has a direct Amtrak service to NYC. 

19 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

True--but Syracuse is farther from NYC than Albany.  I also noted that Albany has a direct Amtrak service to NYC. 

Distance to NYC is sort of irrelevant if they are flying into either place to visit Cooperstown. Renting a car in Albany to then return to Albany, drop it off and take a train down will take much longer than just picking up a rental car in either Albany or Syracuse and then just driving it from Cooperstown to New York City. About 4 hours drive and the car/train combo will take at least 5 hours when you factor in dropping the car off. 

31 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Distance to NYC is sort of irrelevant if they are flying into either place to visit Cooperstown. Renting a car in Albany to then return to Albany, drop it off and take a train down will take much longer than just picking up a rental car in either Albany or Syracuse and then just driving it from Cooperstown to New York City. About 4 hours drive and the car/train combo will take at least 5 hours when you factor in dropping the car off. 

So true.  I should have stated that while I have driven to/in NYC I avoid it if at all possible. 🙂 OP may not feel that way.

21 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Cooperstown is a must tourist attraction.Coincidentally I am wearing a Cooperstown tee shirt right now.

😀

And I really don't want to drive in New York

looks like its going to be the bus for me

You can fly to Albany and rent a car there to visit Cooperstown, etc. Return the car the night before the cruise. Have a car service/taxi/uber pick you up and take you to Yankee Trails in Rensselaer the morning of the cruise.  (Provided they have a bus servicing your cruise, but they do most of them.)

https://tours.yankeetrails.com/Tours/Cruise_Express_Shuttle/Overview    Their phone number is 800-822-2400.

(I won't drive in NYC.)

Edited by Pepper0074

On 9/30/2019 at 5:15 PM, Pepper0074 said:

You can fly to Albany and rent a car there to visit Cooperstown, etc. Return the car the night before the cruise. Have a car service/taxi/uber pick you up and take you to Yankee Trails in Rensselaer the morning of the cruise.  (Provided they have a bus servicing your cruise, but they do most of them.)

https://tours.yankeetrails.com/Tours/Cruise_Express_Shuttle/Overview    Their phone number is 800-822-2400.

(I won't drive in NYC.)

You mean Manhattan,correct ?

6 minutes ago, Pepper0074 said:

Yankee Trails goes to both the Manhattan and the Brooklyn terminals when they have passengers scheduled.

You said you will not drive in NYC.My assumption is that you mean you will not drive in Manhattan but would drive in other parts of NYC.