Need your ideas for things to do at each port of call!

tchoney

My husband and I have gifted our son and future daughter in law a cruise for their honeymoon (Oct 12). 

They have cruised with us before and are familiar with Grand Turk and Amber Cove. 

We have never been to St. Thomas or San Juan. 

For St. Thomas and San Juan; can you walk off the ship and into the town like you can do at Aruba or Nassau or Curacao without have to take an excursion? 

If so, do you have any tips, points of interest, advise? 

If not, what would you recommend for each port?

Thank you very much!!  🙂

Both ports are very walkable!

When I last visited San Juan, we just got off the ship and walked around Old San Juan and visited the two ports. Just a word of caution, the streets can be narrow and hilly and surfaces can be uneven. If anyone has any physical impairments, it could be a more challenging walk. But for us, it was great! We then found a little cafe and had an authentic Puerto Rican lunch. 

St. Thomas has beautiful beaches! You could easily take a cab or shuttle to the beach and just call it day! Another fun thing to do is take the little tram up to the top of Paradise Point. There are gorgeous views from up top, plus some shops, restaurants, bars, trails, etc. Great area to kill and hour or two. 

These are two ports I have only visited a time or two, but would love to go back! 

• Like 1

We went to the Bacardi Distillery in San Juan.  But take the water taxi to get there. It's a fraction of the price of a land taxi.  Just walking around old San Juan makes for an enjoyable day. There is lots to see.  Sample some of the local food. 

To put it a little kinder, you might want to make your font a little larger and maybe a darker color to make it easier to read.

San Juan has an open trolley system you can use to get around very easily without doing as much walking on all the hilly streets.  You can get to the fort (which is very interesting) and other stops.  It is a hop on hop off kind of thing.  Been a while since we were there but if I remember correctly it was free.  It was just off the ship and to the left a bit for a stop you could get on and off.

St. Thomas we love Coral World.  Highly recommend snuba if you want a really cool adventure.  Or just going to the park and seeing all the different sites is great.  Look it up on line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tchoney said:

My husband and I have gifted our son and future daughter in law a cruise for their honeymoon (Oct 12). 

They have cruised with us before and are familiar with Grand Turk and Amber Cove. 

We have never been to St. Thomas or San Juan. 

For St. Thomas and San Juan; can you walk off the ship and into the town like you can do at Aruba or Nassau or Curacao without have to take an excursion? 

If so, do you have any tips, points of interest, advise? 

If not, what would you recommend for each port?

Thank you very much!!  🙂

The last time we were in San Juan DD and I made a  point to find the street covered with umbrellas.  There are also a lot of great forts in the area to check out.Image may contain: 2 people, including Tiffani Eisen, people smiling, outdoorimage.thumb.png.a0b888201bf11927f2335f1a4b190b54.pngimage.thumb.png.c2e1d9d156816596cb241b5cdb971cca.png

In St. Thomas my favorite excursion was Air Force 1 tours with Papa Bear.  if you want to stick closer to the pier there is the skyride you can walk to and get some amazing views.No photo description available.

image.thumb.png.7046168f8e4bebf2333fcb9c24bb5ad8.png

• Like 1

If you're feeling adventurous, you can take a hike over to St. John from St. Thomas. It cost two people almost a total of $100, and took some time. We loved it. We REALLY liked St. John's laid back atmosphere, and Trunk Bay was gorgeous.

Next time, we will hang out in St. Thomas. I am sure there is plenty of local stuff to do there as well.

• Like 1