I love the Explorer lounge

zitsky

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

Not as crowded as the Living Room (on the first day).  Classical music.  Nice views.  Very relaxing.

Zitsky -

We agree!  We would go there nearly every day onboard the ships.  One of our favorite places to hang out - at all times of the day and evening!  Indeed - can be very relaxing!

Remind me again - what ship and cruise are you on?

Are you going to start a single thread to put all your great comments and observations on?

9 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Zitsky -

We agree!  We would go there nearly every day onboard the ships.  One of our favorite places to hang out - at all times of the day and evening!  Indeed - can be very relaxing!

Remind me again - what ship and cruise are you on?

Are you going to start a single thread to put all your great comments and observations on?

Yes.

Star Mediterranean Odyssey. 

Although we love the views from the Explorer Lounge, we’ve become fond of the Viking Bar in the Living Room. Staff there have learned our name and cabin number. And we see our fellow CC cruisers as they walk by, so are able to connect. It’s the little things, right? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lorizack said:

Although we love the views from the Explorer Lounge, we’ve become fond of the Viking Bar in the Living Room. Staff there have learned our name and cabin number. And we see our fellow CC cruisers as they walk by, so are able to connect. It’s the little things, right? 

Right.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:43 AM, zitsky said:

Not as crowded as the Living Room (on the first day).  Classical music.  Nice views.  Very relaxing.

I particularly like the upper level. Can't wait to visit another Explorer Lounge on the Venus in '21. My last memory of an Explorer Lounge was the unforgettable sound of untold numbers of glasses, dishes, and other breakables smashing all over the place and seeing people slide in those big chairs from one end of the lounge to the other as we rolled from side to side. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, Liz Masterson said:

Post some pictures! 🙂 I take my first Viking Cruise next summer... I always enjoy pictures of the ship.  I'm looking forward to the Explorers Lounge. All those books! All those views! Sounds like a great place to settle in for a sea day.

Yeah except I'd advise getting there early. It gets full quickly and people sometimes tend to park themselves in those chairs for a good part of the day. 

Post some pictures! 🙂 I take my first Viking Cruise next summer... I always enjoy pictures of the ship.  I'm looking forward to the Explorers Lounge. All those books! All those views! Sounds like a great place to settle in for a sea day.

You will LOVE the Sky....we sure did. Hated to have to leave her before the end of the scheduled cruise. 

On 9/28/2019 at 4:31 PM, Lorizack said:
On 9/28/2019 at 4:31 PM, Lorizack said:

Have you happened to see the people who did the king crab excursion in Bergen again? I'd love to know what they thought about it if the chance arises. Thank you for taking time away from your trip to keep us informed and heightening our excitement!

• Like 1

Beautiful.

I love the constellations!

I know about the almost tragic situation, it is lovely to see it has all been repaired so nicely.

I read some of the live commentary on social media as it was happening. I don't doubt it was frightening. But I have to say I was also impresssed with reports about how organized and helpful the crew was.  And there was certainly some lovely compensation made by Viking.  Of course if I were seriously hurt I might not feel that way!

I am glad they have discovered what I would call a design flaw and now know they need to keep the oil levels higher! 

Life is fulll of risks. I know I am probably more likely to be killed in a car crash a mile or two from my home than I am to go down with the ship though... so I'm taking the chance!

🙂

• Like 3

Beautiful.

I love the constellations!

I know about the almost tragic situation, it is lovely to see it has all been repaired so nicely.

I read some of the live commentary on social media as it was happening. I don't doubt it was frightening. But I have to say I was also impresssed with reports about how organized and helpful the crew was.  And there was certainly some lovely compensation made by Viking.  Of course if I were seriously hurt I might not feel that way!

I am glad they have discovered what I would call a design flaw and now know they need to keep the oil levels higher! 

Life is fulll of risks. I know I am probably more likely to be killed in a car crash a mile or two from my home than I am to go down with the ship though... so I'm taking the chance!

🙂

It was indeed quite the experience, but, yeah, one always hopes that good comes from bad - in this case - making sure the oil level is high enough but, even with that, I'm still concerned that there is an inherent design flaw. Somehow it would seem that the design should be that auto engine shutdown shouldn't occur due to excessive degree of roll - or else should not occur except for greater degree of roll than we were experiencing. For the engineers to figure out. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 9/30/2019 at 8:17 AM, Liz Masterson said:

Hi, Liz.  I'm not sure what ship you are interested in, but Cruise Critic has quite a few ship photos on their web site.  Here are the ones for Viking Sky.

Hope that helps some.
Tim

On 9/29/2019 at 10:21 PM, OnTheJourney said:

I particularly like the upper level. Can't wait to visit another Explorer Lounge on the Venus in '21. My last memory of an Explorer Lounge was the unforgettable sound of untold numbers of glasses, dishes, and other breakables smashing all over the place and seeing people slide in those big chairs from one end of the lounge to the other as we rolled from side to side. 

Venus is scheduled to have a planetarium on the upper level of the Explorer Lounge, which apparently takes up a lot of space and has received mixed reviews.

37 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

A planetarium? Really?  As in providing shows? Just seems a bit odd being that I thought all the ships are built to basically the same specs and overall design. Then again, it is the "Venus". Most interesting. 

Yes the planetarium was put into the Orion, and then the Jupiter, and now the Venus.  Yes, mixed reviews for sure.  We did not care for it but it was underutilized.  Some recent comments appear to indicate that Viking is starting to make better use.