Cardiac services on board

lbfluffy

On 9/29/2019 at 9:28 AM, 2ferfun said:

AFIB is one of the more common arrhythmias. Many people have it for decades and live completely normal lives.  As long as your cardiologist says its ok there is no reason not to take a cruise.

Agree that CC is not the place to take medical advice, however a defibrillator (which is the device used in a cardioversion) is probably the most common piece of EM equipment available. There is a 100% chance that every cruise ship has one.  It would be negligent NOT to have one.  If you experienced a cardiac event on a cruise ship and they didn't have a defibrillator you probably just won your lawsuit.

Afib cardioversions are not done with the defibrillators found in most public places for emergencies. Those are AEDs, which are designed to shock a heart in cardiac arrest. Totally different.  

2 hours ago, Greensuz said:

Afib cardioversions are not done with the defibrillators found in most public places for emergencies. Those are AEDs, which are designed to shock a heart in cardiac arrest. Totally different.  

As I previously said, Princess onboard medical centers DO NOT have AEDs. They have the same defibrillators that EDs in hospitals have.  AEDs are for the untrained to use anywhere.  Princess medical centers are staffed by physicians.  As has been pointed out by other posters who have obvious medical training, it is likely that a cardioversion for AFIB would not be done on a cruise ship.  However, it is NOT because "there are only AEDs available." That is absurd.

On 9/29/2019 at 5:40 AM, letscruiseagain&again said:

My husband has had afib for 15 years or so and takes medication. We have taken at least one cruise a year, with his Dr's blessing, since he was diagnosed.

I also have afib and cruise a lot dr aproves

15 hours ago, 2ferfun said:

AEDs are for the untrained to use anywhere. 

AEDs are designed to be used by non-medical personnel, such as fire department personnel, police officers, lifeguards, flight attendants as well as EMT-Basic personnel.  These are all first responders.  The AEDs located in public areas are intended to be available to people who have been trained in the use of them.  AEDs are used in conjunction with CPR and an untrained person shouldn't be performing CPR.  I am hoping that you weren't thinking of first responders as being "untrained."

Anyone who wants to be able to use an AED in an emergency should contact the Red Cross, Heart Association, National Safety Council or your local hospital or rescue squad for information on CPR/AED training courses.  I would encourage everybody to take a CPR/AED class at least once in their lives.  Some courses are only a few hours long.  Maybe Princess could look into providing CPR courses as an activity for PAX on sea days.

Edited by Daniel A

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Maybe Princess could look into providing CPR courses as an activity for PAX on sea days.

That is actually a really great idea!  I think a lot of people would be interested in that.

• Thanks 1

It's not the Defibrillator that is the biggest issue with Synchronized Cardioversion, it is the required sedation and the need for other personnel (respiratory therapists in case you have issues with the sedation for example) that make this a procedure that is a bit more than a simple thing. But I too am interested in finding out the answer.

AFib since Jan of 2017, 6 Cardioversions and 2 ablation procedures, but I think we got it fixed now (fingers crossed). Personally, I think that was a bit too much experience with this, and yes, the Doctors have always said no reason not to go on your cruise.

Edited by Gibby
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gibby said:

It's not the Defibrillator that is the biggest issue with Synchronized Cardioversion, it is the required sedation and the need for other personnel (respiratory therapists in case you have issues with the sedation for example) that make this a procedure that is a bit more than a simple thing. But I too am interested in finding out the answer.

AFib since Jan of 2017, 6 Cardioversions and 2 ablation procedures, but I think we got it fixed now (fingers crossed). Personally, I think that was a bit too much experience with this, and yes, the Doctors have always said no reason not to go on your cruise.

Be well !!  :classic_smile:

Thank you all for your advice. We just saw the cardiologist. He says he  to go on our cruise. He has him on medication plus prescribed him a medication for him if his AFIB does not stay suppressed in an emergency, 

2 minutes ago, lbfluffy said:

Thank you all for your advice. We just saw the cardiologist. He says he  to go on our cruise. He has him on medication plus prescribed him a medication for him if his AFIB does not stay suppressed in an emergency, 

Yaaayyy !!!  :classic_smile: