Anyone Know How Norwegian Insurance Works

firecapt25

We were on 12 day New England Cruise and had to leave cruise on day 6 due to my mother passing away.  We had Norwegian travel insurance and we had to fly out of Halifax which wasn't cheap. They wouldn't let us leave from Bar Harbor because of tender port and no immigration. Question is will we get a  future credit to go towards another cruise. And second question will the insurance help towards the airfare. 

Very sorry for your loss. 

You'll need to read your Insurance information to figure out what's covered and what's not. At this point we don't know if you had Standard or Premium coverage. 

Here's a link that might be helpful:

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/freestyle-cruise/booksafe

Hope this helps. 

It's hard to know for sure, but it sounds like they will cover it up to your trip interruption coverage as it was a family member's death.

This is the verbiage I saw when picking a random state:

"Sickness, Accidental Injury or death of You, a Traveling Companion, or Family Member which results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of Loss preventing Your continued participation in the Trip;"

It's a little awkward as I'm not sure how a physician certifies it preventing your continued participation in the trip, but I think a death certificate would work. 

The amount of trip interruption coverage you have is probably unique to your plan based on how much coverage you paid for (which usually is based on how much the cruise cost). 

Sympathies to you and your family.

You may want to call the insurance company and ask if those situations are covered by your policy and see exactly what documentation they will need.  I did a bit of digging on the link provided above and found the phone number/email link.

https://www.aontravelclaim.com/#/home

Deepest sympathy on your loss. 

The insurance company will be covering your claim (not NCL). You will need detailed receipts for anything you claim. And you should have got written documentation from the NCL that you were departing the cruise early to get reimbursed. Also, written documentation of any refund or refusal to refund your cruise fare from NCL. 

6 hours ago, smplybcause said:

"Sickness, Accidental Injury or death of You, a Traveling Companion, or Family Member which results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of Loss preventing Your continued participation in the Trip;"

It's a little awkward as I'm not sure how a physician certifies it preventing your continued participation in the trip, but I think a death certificate would work. 

I think that's in there for non-fatal medical restrictions, such as one person breaks an ankle and winds up confined to the room and the other person is fine.