Price drop--check your prices!

18 minutes ago, pthjudy said:

From my experience, a TA will most probably reduce your OBC if you receive a price reduction. Interestingly, if you should pay more once booked to upgrade to a higher category, your OBC will NOT go up. (I once lost some OBC when the price for my cabin dropped, but a month later when we paid several hundred more for an upsell, the TA would not return the lost OBC). I have tried to fight this “unfair” policy with no success. I do use a TA when I book a cruise, but it is strictly for the OBC and reduced price. I don’t use the TA to advocate for me. That is MY job and if it means an extra step having to call the TA to make the call, it’s still worth the savings. On some cruises, once I book no other actions are necessary. On others, several may be. I check prices and availability and of course Cruise Critic daily. To me it’s a game and a challenge. Others find it a chore. So to answer your question, the TA will adjust the OBC or take away perks if you get a lower priced cabin. You are the final judge as to the value of the change. 

Thank you. Even more annoyingly, I e-mailed with her about this yesterday morning and she has yet to do the price adjustment. I am a lot like you and prefer to do my own arrangements, so this is killing my control-freak self.

50 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

Thank you. Even more annoyingly, I e-mailed with her about this yesterday morning and she has yet to do the price adjustment. I am a lot like you and prefer to do my own arrangements, so this is killing my control-freak self.

From one self acknowledged control freak to another, a suggestion: Call the agency and if your TA doesn’t answer, get another agent. I have done this several times and requested immediate action since the price changes can be short lived. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pthjudy said:

From one self acknowledged control freak to another, a suggestion: Call the agency and if your TA doesn’t answer, get another agent. I have done this several times and requested immediate action since the price changes can be short lived. 

Good news - she did do the price adjustment today, and it is more than I thought - $200 per cabin (her price was better than the RCI website price). So we got a $400 reduction and lost $70 OBC. I'll take it!!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

Good news - she did do the price adjustment today, and it is more than I thought - $200 per cabin (her price was better than the RCI website price). So we got a $400 reduction and lost $70 OBC. I'll take it!!

Wise choice. Too many people book and then forget. You will enjoy your cruise that much more. 

9 minutes ago, pthjudy said:

Wise choice. Too many people book and then forget. You will enjoy your cruise that much more. 

I am a crazy person when it comes to planning trips lol.  This agent is gonna hate me by the end I bet!

Price of the Key went down on this sailing also which saved me another $80 (although I am not sure we are going to keep that, I just wanted to purchase it low just in case). It is ASTOUNDING to me how often RC changes prices on things. I have never seen anything like it!

Just now, Biker19 said:

Have you not bought a plane ticket lately?

I realize those change often also, but on most airlines once you buy it, that's it. I'm talking about things like cruise planner items that you can cancel and rebuy. I guess it's better than the airlines - if you buy high you're not stuck with it (assuming you are checking LOL). I just didn't expect something like a shore excursion price to change - why wouldn't that just be a set price?

2 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

I just didn't expect something like a shore excursion price to change - why wouldn't that just be a set price?

Market dynamics - RCI doesn't want to leave money on the table. You should see the price swings on CocoCay cabanas.😱

Just now, Biker19 said:

Market dynamics - RCI doesn't want to leave money on the table. You should see the price swings on CocoCay cabanas.😱

I am waiting and hoping for that LOL - right now the prices for those for our May Oasis sailing are obscene. And none of them have changed one bit since I booked. (except for the addition of the beach club stuff - $1499 for an over water cabana?? Um, nope)

7 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Could you request a specific cruise to be price monitored? Or do you have to scroll down and hope to find your sailing?

You can drill it down to specific ships, sail dates, date ranges, cabin class etc.   I have a few different searches saved to watch for Star, Sky and Haven.