Divina Caribbean

seahags

We'll be on the Divina for 11 nights (our first MSC).  Am I right that there will be 3 Gala nights?  Are there also theme nights (as I continually read about on Seaside)?  We are two couples in YC.  How to pack, LOL!  Thanks anyone for the help!

1 hour ago, seahags said:

We'll be on the Divina for 11 nights (our first MSC).  Am I right that there will be 3 Gala nights?  Are there also theme nights (as I continually read about on Seaside)?  We are two couples in YC.  How to pack, LOL!  Thanks anyone for the help!

I was on the Divina in the Caribbean last February so I might be able to answer questions but your choice of font makes your post almost impossible to read for me. I guess I'm getting old! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I was on the Divina in the Caribbean last February so I might be able to answer questions but your choice of font makes your post almost impossible to read for me. I guess I'm getting old! 

Sorry, sverigecruiser!  There are for of us in YC this December for 11 nights.  It seems there are many threads about Gala and theme nights (mostly on the Seaside), but it also seems like Divina is a completely different story.  Wondering how to pack...do we need 'theme' things, or how many Gala nights are there and is 'cocktail attire' sufficient.  Thanks so much for your reply!

Smart casual is appropriate any time.  Some will be in cocktail attire, some even more formal.  Based on my recent cruise on Armonia, with 45% European cruisers, I would say that the more Europeans you have, the dressier they will seem every night.  There is usually a White Party, so you might bring something mostly white.  But most do not dress anything special.  EM

5 hours ago, seahags said:

Sorry, sverigecruiser!  There are for of us in YC this December for 11 nights.  It seems there are many threads about Gala and theme nights (mostly on the Seaside), but it also seems like Divina is a completely different story.  Wondering how to pack...do we need 'theme' things, or how many Gala nights are there and is 'cocktail attire' sufficient.  Thanks so much for your reply!

I think that Divina attracts more Europeans and because of that it's probably a little more formal than the Seaside.

We had three formal nights and many dressed up for it. "Cocktail attire" is defenitely sufficient.

I don't think that you need any "theme" things to enjoy your nights on the ship.

You, the Forum, Jeep Amazons me... I was just about to start a topic called Divina Caribbean, but...no need now...

We just returned Saturday from a 7 night cruise on Divina, my review is pending approval... anyway, i booked on the ship a 11 night Caribbean cruise departing Miami on February 28th...YC.....

My questions are more Caribbean than Divina related, but the one thong i can say is that about 60% did dress formally or in general according to the theme, except for white night...

Suit and tie will do for me smoking is not really required.

C8993168-AD81-4DA9-ADFC-45342B174418.jpeg

Sailing YC there is no point in dressing up for Italian night, as there is nothing different for guests at Le Muse. Sure, the Maître d’ dresses in the appropriate colors, but contrary to the MDR, Le Muse waiters will not scamper out of the kitchen with flaming tiramisu cakes. 

Some people dress up for white night, but again dressing up for that theme makes real sense only if one plans on attending the party. 

I found that guest at Le Muse tend to be a bit more formally dressed on formal night. Yet, smart causal is not out of place. 

Enjoy your cruise.

Patrick

I have a Caribbean cruise on the Divina booked this December and it will be my 3rd Divina cruise in the caribbean. As for elegant nights there will be at least 2. There were 2 on our 10 day cruise, but I guess it is possible to have an additional one for an 11 day. For theme nights, there is a 70's night and Italian night but not many people dress special for it. There is also white night for the deck party, most people only dress if they are planning to attend. You won't be out of place if you don't wear anything special on those nights.

I haven't cruised in YC so can't speak for any YC specific things. 

Was on Divina for Christmas cruise 10 months ago, in YC3. I could care less how the other passengers dressed. I always wear a jacket and tie for dinner and a tux for chic/gala nights. It is respect that I show for my fellow YC passengers; and all suite venue cruise lines for that matter that I travel.  I highly recommend a short, rather stocky Honduran, named Manuel as your waiter in Le Muse, very attentive. Told me he wants to go back to the Seaside, more Americans (better tips?). Please take the time to notice where the Maitre d' seats YC passengers that are not 'dressed' to higher standards.

On 10/6/2019 at 2:26 PM, seahags said:

We spent 21 nights (11 and 10) on the Divina (YC) last December and will be back again for an 11 night in December.  I actually brought along a Tux (no biggie since I own it) and both DW and I did dress quite formal on the Gala Nights.  I do not recall if there were 2 or 3 on the 11 night segment, but we did feel overdressed on those nights.  While some folks did dress formal, a majority dressed the same as every other night which is smart casual.  In fact, on our last gala night I did not bother getting dressed up and simply wore a collared shirt.   The YC is kind of an isolated enclave (from the rest of the ship) and if there were theme nights we did notice anyone caring...in the YC.  I am thinking about taking along a Blazer for our next Divina cruise and wearing it (sans tie) on the so-called gala nights.  I just asked DW what she was packing this year and she said "formal stuff" which means some nice designer outfits...but not what I would consider formal like with a long gown.  The truth is that on MSC I don't think anyone cares what you wear so you are primarily dressing for yourselves.

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We spent 21 nights (11 and 10) on the Divina (YC) last December and will be back again for an 11 night in December.  I actually brought along a Tux (no biggie since I own it) and both DW and I did dress quite formal on the Gala Nights.  I do not recall if there were 2 or 3 on the 11 night segment, but we did feel overdressed on those nights.  While some folks did dress formal, a majority dressed the same as every other night which is smart casual.  In fact, on our last gala night I did not bother getting dressed up and simply wore a collared shirt.   The YC is kind of an isolated enclave (from the rest of the ship) and if there were theme nights we did notice anyone caring...in the YC.  I am thinking about taking along a Blazer for our next Divina cruise and wearing it (sans tie) on the so-called gala nights.  I just asked DW what she was packing this year and she said "formal stuff" which means some nice designer outfits...but not what I would consider formal like with a long gown.  The truth is that on MSC I don't think anyone cares what you wear so you are primarily dressing for yourselves.

Hank

Thanks, Hank!  I think we'll leave the tux at home this trip...jacket and slacks maybe a couple of ties for the guys, cocktail dress will suffice.  Are you on 12/6 11 nights?  If so, we'll see you there!!  

1 minute ago, seahags said:

Thanks, Hank!  I think we'll leave the tux at home this trip...jacket and slacks maybe a couple of ties for the guys, cocktail dress will suffice.  Are you on 12/6 11 nights?  If so, we'll see you there!!  

Yes, we are on that cruise.  We would have done back to back (like last year) but it didn't work for our criteria of being home on both Thanksgiving and Xmas.  As a consolation prize we are diving down to Key West (we like this town) for a few days pre-cruise.  Already booked back to back 7 day cruises on the Seaside for the same time period next year.  We really loved the YC Experience, which is the only way we would cruise on MSC.  

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, we are on that cruise.  We would have done back to back (like last year) but it didn't work for our criteria of being home on both Thanksgiving and Xmas.  As a consolation prize we are diving down to Key West (we like this town) for a few days pre-cruise.  Already booked back to back 7 day cruises on the Seaside for the same time period next year.  We really loved the YC Experience, which is the only way we would cruise on MSC.  

Hank

Great to hear!  Hopefully we'll see you at the Meet & Mingle?  We, too, looked for a longer trip (two couples sans kids) hoping to be away over Christmas & New Years but that didn't work out either.  This is our first trip with MSC, however we're booked next year out of Barcelona in YC if this works out well.  SO looking forward to our bit of time in MIA pre-cruise and then boarding the Divina.  Looking forward to meeting you!

Eileen

Great to hear!  Hopefully we'll see you at the Meet & Mingle?  We, too, looked for a longer trip (two couples sans kids) hoping to be away over Christmas & New Years but that didn't work out either.  This is our first trip with MSC, however we're booked next year out of Barcelona in YC if this works out well.  SO looking forward to our bit of time in MIA pre-cruise and then boarding the Divina.  Looking forward to meeting you!

Eileen

You might have seen one of my posts about our Meet and Mingle experience on the Divinia.  We normally consider M&G's akin to having root canal and avoid them on most cruises.  But since it was our first MSC cruise we decided to give it a try.  It turned out to be a lot of fun and was hosted by the CD with the Captain taking on a big role.  MSC provided us a large lounge, live entertainment (guitar player/singer) and served free drinks.  Many of the Senior Officers were present and did stay for about an hour.  The Captain got the entire group to form-up for a group photo and had free 8x10s delivered to each cabin.  Not sure I can convince DW to go again this year.

Hank

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You might have seen one of my posts about our Meet and Mingle experience on the Divinia.  We normally consider M&G's akin to having root canal and avoid them on most cruises.  But since it was our first MSC cruise we decided to give it a try.  It turned out to be a lot of fun and was hosted by the CD with the Captain taking on a big role.  MSC provided us a large lounge, live entertainment (guitar player/singer) and served free drinks.  Many of the Senior Officers were present and did stay for about an hour.  The Captain got the entire group to form-up for a group photo and had free 8x10s delivered to each cabin.  Not sure I can convince DW to go again this year.

Hank

We feel your pain, LOL.  After many years of them on RCCL and Celebrity, we have avoided them like the plague!  This is our first MSC, too, and it might have been one of your posts that encouraged us to go!  Hope we meet you two one way or the other over the 11 nights!  We're long-time PA transplants to DE!

I was on my first MSC sailing on Divina last December (11 nights).  I honestly don't remember there being 3 Elegant nights.  Maybe the Italian night was also an Elegant night.  I do dress for dinner but typically something nicer on the Elegant nights.  I don't go to the MDR in shorts and a tank top.  No, I don't care what others wear (as long as no baseball caps).  I just think dressing for dinner on a cruise is part of the experience.  Not sure why some find it so painful but whatever.

Just off Armonia a couple of weeks ago and went to the M&G.  It was miles better than what Carnival does!  I wrote a mini-review and talked about it in there.  I'm not big on socializing, but I was solo and forced myself to talk to other humans.  It was quite nice and I was impressed that so many heads of departments were there along with the CD and Master of the vessel (and I told them all that)!  The group photo was a nice touch, too.

• Like 1

We feel your pain, LOL.  After many years of them on RCCL and Celebrity, we have avoided them like the plague!  This is our first MSC, too, and it might have been one of your posts that encouraged us to go!  Hope we meet you two one way or the other over the 11 nights!  We're long-time PA transplants to DE!

We spend a lot of time hanging out in The One Lounge unless we are up on the pool deck.   It was actually hard to meet many folks at last year's M&G because there was a big turnout.  We did run into an old HAL friend who had worked as a senior Officer on the Prinsendam.  He thought MSC offered him better opportunities so "jumped ship."  We also met one of their future cruise folks who had previously worked on Celebrity.  MSC is expanding very fast (about 2 new ships per year) and struggling to find supervisory folks who have a lot of experience.  In fact, our biggest complaint on the Divina was that a lot of the staff outside of the YC seemed very "green" and lacking necessary training (a lot of their bar staff seems to learn on the job).  Within the YC all the staff were terrific and several of the bar waiters told us they were chosen because of their language skills.  Many of the YC staff were truly multi-lingual.

Hank 

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We spend a lot of time hanging out in The One Lounge unless we are up on the pool deck.   It was actually hard to meet many folks at last year's M&G because there was a big turnout.  We did run into an old HAL friend who had worked as a senior Officer on the Prinsendam.  He thought MSC offered him better opportunities so "jumped ship."  We also met one of their future cruise folks who had previously worked on Celebrity.  MSC is expanding very fast (about 2 new ships per year) and struggling to find supervisory folks who have a lot of experience.  In fact, our biggest complaint on the Divina was that a lot of the staff outside of the YC seemed very "green" and lacking necessary training (a lot of their bar staff seems to learn on the job).  Within the YC all the staff were terrific and several of the bar waiters told us they were chosen because of their language skills.  Many of the YC staff were truly multi-lingual.

Hank 

Well I can say for sure that the four of us are excited about the prospects of MSC and YC!  We're under the 60 day mark now so time will go quickly.  We, too, will most likely haunt the same places as you.  We're pretty easy to recognize...a tall couple and a short couple...two blonde gals and the guys both still have full heads of wavy dark hair, LOL!!  Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Jim & Eileen and Vince & Carol🍷🍷

• Thanks 1

Sorry for the gross mistyping in my first post..... autocorrect... 

on formal nights I loved dressing up, especially in YC. There I would say 80% of the guests were following the dress code proposed each day...

still, flying in from Europe, I don’t know if I want to bring a suit or a tux to the Caribbean sailing in February...

what are your experiences there? 

On 10/6/2019 at 2:26 PM, seahags said:

Was on the Divina for 32 days (11, 10, 11) last Nov./Dec.  There were only 2 Gala nights on both the 10 and 11 day cruises. 

• Like 1