Newby question on MDR and Bathtubs

rsail203

Is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day? If so, what time?

I've read reviews about bathtubs in the suites, stating that they can be difficult. Is there a safety bar on the walls in the bathtub. 

42 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

Is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day? If so, what time?

No, just La veranda and the Pool Grill for lunch on embarkation day

44 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

I've read reviews about bathtubs in the suites, stating that they can be difficult

The main comments about bathtub difficulties are for those suites on Seven Seas Mariner that have a combination tub with shower over, which IMO gives the worst of both. Many guests therefore opt for the shower-only suites on Mariner.

I am not aware of any particular difficulties with the bathtubs on Voyager, Navigator or Explorer ................... but we tend to enjoy a shower rather than a bath while on board.

Post # 2 on this thread has a photo of the Mariner bathtub. 

As you can see, the problem with the tub is that, if you have knee flexibility issues, you can't just sit on the side and swing over, due to the proximity of the wall and the sink. Plus, last time I was on, there were no grab bars at the standing position. It's been a while so they may have added them since then.

We were on Mariner last Nov.  I do not remember any grab bars per se.  There was a towel rack on the side opposite the shower head and I think I just used the Shower Head bar to hold on to when getting out of the shower/tub.  I will say that it is a relatively high step.  I have no mobility issues, but it took some getting used to.  I felt it was awkward to turn around in the tub.  Here's a couple of pics.  I know they don't show much, but hope it helps. 

DSC06448.jpg

DSC06447.jpg

In the Mariner, the biggest problem with the "tub only" suites it that the bottom of the tub is about 4-6 inches higher than the bathroom floor. So the real problem is when you get out of the tub. The extra tub height make the stepping out and down uncomfortable and unwieldy.  Plus you are wet, stepping onto a marble floor on a moving ship. Another slight problem can be it you are taller than 6' because of the drop ceiling/raised floor. It has been years since I was in one so I don't know about any grab bars.

J

• Like 2

The baths are typical of what we have in Europe - deep "soaking" tubs with shower overhead.   I suppose we are used to the gymnastics of getting in and out.   I loved the baths on the Mariner and always booked a suite with a bath.  But now I have a problem with them as well...even at home I have had my bathtub taken out and a shower installed.  (Joys of getting older!!)

14 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Unfortunately, the photos do not really show just how dangerous it is to get into and out of the bathtubs on Mariner.  With the movement of the ship, it is an accident waiting to happen!

What Travelcat said and doubled!  When we were on Mariner we were trying to shower while crossing the Tasman Sea!!!  Suffice it to say it was "challenging."  I have remarked to my wife many times wondering why Regent didn't pull ALL tub/shower combos considering the demographics of their passengers.  I am quite mobile, but I'm also 68 years old.  I don't do anything like I used to.