Planks BBQ

ckb104

Just got off the Caribbean Princess.  We ate at both the Crown Grill and Planks.   I have to say for the money I Enjoyed Planks better.  I thought the Crown Grill was more on point with Outback.  That’s just me and a one time experience.   The sides were not that special and more consistent with MDR food.   For $29 I expected a bit more quality.  planks is only $12 and a pretty good value.  It may not be gourmet food you might find in the south but for the ship it was pretty good.

i have to say we rarely ate int MDR because the menus were so boring.  It was buffet most nights except for the aforementioned CRown Grill, Steamers, and Planks.

• 1 year later...

How late do they typically seat/serve at Planks/Steamers on the Caribbean Princess?  Considering a partial canal transit on her and thinking this might be a good option on canal day as we may do a tour that gets back close to departure time and might miss MDR or just not want to be fussed with it after a long hot day. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

25 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

How late do they typically seat/serve at Planks/Steamers on the Caribbean Princess?  Considering a partial canal transit on her and thinking this might be a good option on canal day as we may do a tour that gets back close to departure time and might miss MDR or just not want to be fussed with it after a long hot day. 

They opened up around 5pm and served until 9 or so. No reservation was required when we were there although you can make one by calling the dining line. Interesting note. Even though you select Planks, you can order from either the Planks or Steamers menu. 

We ate at both Planks and Steamers on the Caribbean Princess.  Both nights we ate there, there were not many dining there.  It does not seem to fill up at all.  We are simple budget minded folk - and we liked the meals.  The Planks meal has 4 meats included, so it is a heavy meal, but good once in a while.  On the steamers side, we prefer the battered fish arrangement over the steamed clams - which seemed like a lot of shells for very little clams. We are hopefully back on the CB in Nov and plan to visit both again.

Don

We ae at Planks and found it to be mediocre.  We are accustomed to really good BBQ here and this did not step up.  It certainly was not worth the money to us.  Food served was plentiful and we could have ordered from Steamers as they are side by side and served by the same galley.  When we were able to walk right in and sit down that should have been a strong message.  We will not do it again. 

Now at lunch we ate there several times because they would allow us to pick the ingredients and stir fry them with a spicy sauce and noodles.  It was great and free of course.  I tried the Mexican buffet in the Planks area for lunch.  It probably was the worst I have ever tasted so by pass it.   

• 2 weeks later...

Planks was OK but not great, I've eaten there several times.  If I could just order the meats I want would be better.  It's a nice break when you don't like what is in the MDR that night. 

Most ships have a BBQ night at the grill out by the pool, their pulled pork sandwich on some cruises is fabulous.  That's free...