refrigerator

racnwdow

I’m sure most of you know this but if you have a frig (cooler) that’s in a cabinet be sure to prop the cabinet door open a couple inches.  The cooler will get much colder.  There’s no way for air to circulate otherwise and the frig gets too hot.  It was cool enough to keep my insulin in on the Zuiderdam.  I have ordered a frig on other HAL ships that don’t have one and state on my reservation that it’s for meds.  Most of the time I get charged but it’s worth it to me to keep my meds in my own possession.  (Plus the perk of cold wine and soda)

On 10/12/2019 at 1:40 PM, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

I struggle with understanding the refrigerator issue on HAL. We will be trying HAL for the first time in many years when we sail on the Nieuw Statendam next year. I keep seeing posts about HAL charging for refrigerators, but then look at YouTube videos from the Nieuw Statendam and see refrigerators showing in every cabin. Were these paid for in advance? Is that why they are in the cabins when people walk in? I’ve always taken refrigerators in cabins for granted having sailed on Princess for many years. 

The pinnacle class ships have fridges in all rooms. I had one in my inside on the Koningsdam 

We decided a year ago when my husband's insulin was frozen by housekeeping on a cruise ship, that we would take our own mini-fridge. We just got tired of playing the guessing game about if and what kind of refrigeration would be available in the cabin.

The mini-fridge holds 6 bottles of insulin, and keeps the temp inside at 5-C constantly.  It's electrical, and we take a back-up external power source in case of an odd power outage on the ship.  All of this packs into a space the size of a small shoe box.

To transport the insulin, he packs the bottles in an insulate mug with baggies of ice. If we are on a short flight, we even take the medication in the mini fridge on the plane with us, but not packed in a bag.  It requires air flow.

No more guessing or concern about his medication. 

insulin mini fridge.jpg

Car plug adapter for mini fridge.jpg

external power bank.jpg

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

Just  off the Rotterdam. We ordered the fridge for$2 a day.  It kept the medicine fine and the Coke great.  It was a regular mini fridge and kept it very cold. It was way colder than 25 degrees below cabin temperature.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...