refrigerator

racnwdow

We will be on the Rotterdam and my roommate needs to keep a medication cold.  Our TA told us a refrigerator is $2 a day.  That works.  But curious how big it is and where they put it?  Will we be climbing around it?  And does it have an freezer section like the hotel refrigerators?  TIA

1 minute ago, racnwdow said:

We will be on the Rotterdam and my roommate needs to keep a medication cold.  Our TA told us a refrigerator is $2 a day.  That works.  But curious how big it is and where they put it?  Will we be climbing around it?  And does it have an freezer section like the hotel refrigerators?  TIA

&2.00 a day yes. You didn’t say what cabin? OV inside cabins and lianas are small. Usually they put it under seat where your mirror vanity is! Sometimes it will be where ever they can store it for you! Suites

have a small refrigerator ( cooler).

no freezer. Holds wine 2 bottles snacks

Denise😊

More like a cooler than a refrigerator.  We have always had one in our room, but if your room doesn’t have one you can request one through ship services.  Charge is $2. Per day. You MAY get it w/o charge since it’s for meds if you let them know that. It’s important that you tell them for meds prior to boarding so you are on priority list to get one.  

I struggle with understanding the refrigerator issue on HAL. We will be trying HAL for the first time in many years when we sail on the Nieuw Statendam next year. I keep seeing posts about HAL charging for refrigerators, but then look at YouTube videos from the Nieuw Statendam and see refrigerators showing in every cabin. Were these paid for in advance? Is that why they are in the cabins when people walk in? I’ve always taken refrigerators in cabins for granted having sailed on Princess for many years. 

14 minutes ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

I struggle with understanding the refrigerator issue on HAL. We will be trying HAL for the first time in many years when we sail on the Nieuw Statendam next year. I keep seeing posts about HAL charging for refrigerators, but then look at YouTube videos from the Nieuw Statendam and see refrigerators showing in every cabin. Were these paid for in advance? Is that why they are in the cabins when people walk in? I’ve always taken refrigerators in cabins for granted having sailed on Princess for many years. 

Balconies Signature suites Neptune suites PS all come with the fridge! Included in your price! If you read my posts Ocean View(OV) inside cabins and Lianas you pay for them

Denise 😊

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

I believe the Pinnacle class ships, including Nieuw Statendam, have refrigerators in all staterooms.  I could, of course, be wrong.  But, at least the Koningsdam, which was the first Pinnacle class ship, has them.  From the HAL website:  "Does my stateroom have a mini-fridge? A mini-fridge is included with all staterooms. ".  So I can't imagine that they aren't in all staterooms on Nieuw Statendam.  But the same description goes on to say:  "Guests who need to refrigerate medication should store it in the ship’s infirmary, as mini-fridges aren’t cold enough for that purpose."   

1 hour ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

We will be trying HAL for the first time in many years when we sail on the Nieuw Statendam next year. I keep seeing posts about HAL charging for refrigerators, but then ...

HAL's newest 8 ships (i.e. everything since the Zuiderdam, introduced in 2002) have a cooler in every cabin. HAL calls them "mini-bars". On the older 6 ships (S & R classes) only the Suites have them installed permanently, and all lower cabins must rent them.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Petunia1950 said:

But the same description goes on to say:  "Guests who need to refrigerate medication should store it in the ship’s infirmary, as mini-fridges aren’t cold enough for that purpose."   

The cooler/mini-bars can only get down to 40>45 degrees at best, so medications that must be kept cooler shouldn't be stored there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

This is true only on the S&R class ships. The person you were answering was asking about the Nieuw Statendam.

I am replying to original OP. With 12 HAL cruises The S R and Vista class are all the same with Rotterdam! Will be on her again in March.Will be on Koningsdam in Jan and know they do have the mini fridges.

Denise😊

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

I am replying to original OP.

The person you quoted was asking about the N.S.: "...  but then look at YouTube videos from the Nieuw Statendam and see refrigerators showing in every cabin. Were these paid for in advance? "

29 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

The S R and Vista class are all the same with Rotterdam!

Not true. The four Vista class ships have coolers in every cabin. Except I think the Pinnacle Suites have full-sized, true refrigerators in the pantry.

Edited by catl331

34 minutes ago, catl331 said:

The person you quoted was asking about the N.S.: "...  but then look at YouTube videos from the Nieuw Statendam and see refrigerators showing in every cabin. Were these paid for in advance? "

Not true. The four Vista class ships have coolers in every cabin. Except I think the Pinnacle Suites have full-sized, true refrigerators in the pantry.

Cat, I guess I stand corrected. We have been with HAL since 2004 and we at that time were always in a OV room on board 

where in the R and S class we always rented a fridge. 2008 with all Vista Class

we have been signature and Neptune.

Thank you for correcting me.

Have a good day too

Denise😊

• Like 1

All HAL ships from the 1st Vista Class and later have mini-fridges in all cabins, even insides and OV's.   The R & S class ships only have fridges in Vista Suites, Neptune Suites, and Pinnacle Suites.   Insides, OV's and Lanai cabins in the R & S class ships have no mini fridge.  But you rent one for $2 a day.  The only place to put it is within 5 ft of the desk outlets due to the electrical cord.   So, that means the fridge must be under your desk, or on the side of it.   If you put it under the desk,  you will have no knee room under the desk, if that is important to you.

42 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

All HAL ships from the 1st Vista Class and later have mini-fridges in all cabins, even insides and OV's.

We were on Zuiderdam (the first Vista-class ship) last month, and the device in our OV cabin was very definitely not a refrigerator: it's a cooler. We asked our steward if it could be set colder, and he showed us that there were no temperature controls. It was cool enough for wines and soft drinks, but too warm (probably about 45°F/7.2°C, thanks cattl331!) for medications that had to be kept refrigerator-cold (generally 35°F/1.7°C). I ended up taking my meds down to the clinic for the duration. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwb101 said:

but too warm (probably about 45°F/7.2°C, thanks cattl331!) for medications that had to be kept refrigerator-cold (generally 35°F/1.7°C)

Unlike a true refrigerator that uses a compression/expansion cycle of a refrigerant, a thermoelectric cooler can only achieve a limited temperature differential from the exterior ... so if you could get the cabin temperature down to 60°F then the inside would be about 35°F !

12 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Unlike a true refrigerator that uses a compression/expansion cycle of a refrigerant, a thermoelectric cooler can only achieve a limited temperature differential from the exterior ... so if you could get the cabin temperature down to 60°F then the inside would be about 35°F !

Good luck with that! I can rarely get the cabin temperature low enough to sleep comfortably. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Yikes, for those of us who are cold all the time and love summer, that's way too frigid for a cabin.  I'd be walking around in a heavy coat inside my cabin.  Bur-r-r-r.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Yikes, for those of us who are cold all the time and love summer, that's way too frigid for a cabin.

My DH is with you.  After almost 40 years in FL I can hardly get him to leave the house if it's less than 65 outside! In summer we usually have the house AC set at 77 or 78 unless we have guests. 

• Like 1

I need a frig for my meds too.  Have rented one most of the time (had to go to the infirmarary once to keep it there).  They have been on the desk and under the desk.  On the Rotterdam last year in a lania and they put it under the desk.  I put not only my meds, but i bring a couple of sodas on board that I put on and DH gets extra milk in the lido that we put in there too.  Works for us.  Good luck and have a good trip.  

44 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

I'd be walking around in a heavy coat inside my cabin.  Bur-r-r-r.

That reminded me ... on one Eurodam cruise we couldn't get the cabin warm enough for him, so he was wearing a jacket in the cabin until we had maintenance come and fix something in  the ceiling that was stuck. 

• 4 weeks later...