Price reduction

dbeckett

Please advise if, in North America especially, you are still able to request a price reduction if you have seen the cruise you have previously booked now advertised at a lower price than when you booked it?   Are you now required to cancel the original cruise so  losing any deals that were on the original booking?   If you do have to cancel the cruise rather than just get the new price applied as usually happened do you have to pay the cancellation cost (even though you are still going on the cruise).

Comments would be appreciated.  I have seen nothing on CC to say this is the case hence why I am asking

If you see a price reduction BEFORE final payment and the sale that you booked under is still the same...just call Princess or your TA and request the new price.

If the sale deal has changed, you'll lose what ever benefits you booked under and get whatever is currently offered.

After final payment, you MAY be able to get a different cabin or some OBC. Chances are not good for either. I've tried twice. First time I got some OBC, second time I got a flat NO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dbeckett said:

Please advise if, in North America especially, you are still able to request a price reduction if you have seen the cruise you have previously booked now advertised at a lower price than when you booked it?   Are you now required to cancel the original cruise so  losing any deals that were on the original booking?   If you do have to cancel the cruise rather than just get the new price applied as usually happened do you have to pay the cancellation cost (even though you are still going on the cruise).

Comments would be appreciated.  I have seen nothing on CC to say this is the case hence why I am asking

In N.A. if a better fare or promo is offered you can get the new promo and fare, but you lose your current fare and promo benefits. You have to do the math to see which is the better offer. If your original booking had a non-refundable deposit you risk losing it. There have been times when the non-refundable deposit is re-applied to the new booking. Most promos have refundable deposits. Princess has no cancellation cost if cancelled prior to final payment. Some travel agents do have a small cancellation fee if you fully cancel and do not re-book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbeckett said:

Yes you can.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

If you see a price reduction BEFORE final payment and the sale that you booked under is still the same...just call Princess or your TA and request the new price.

If the sale deal has changed, you'll lose what ever benefits you booked under and get whatever is currently offered.

After final payment, you MAY be able to get a different cabin or some OBC. Chances are not good for either. I've tried twice. First time I got some OBC, second time I got a flat NO.

But not if your category is sold out.

You must do the math as someone said.  I usually book a year or more in advance and then monitor the sales.  If I see a better deal then I call my travel agent and refare.  I just saved a total of $1400 on a Norway cruise in 2020, oh happy days.  

That amount does no happen often but when it does I get excited about saving the money.  My wife is excited that she now has more money to spend on trinkets and gifts for the Grandchildren.  

Richard 

We've had pretty good success; sometimes after final payment has been made but Princess dramatically dropped the price. We have had cases where we get OBC and once actually got a credit back on our CC. Haven't done it in a year or two so don't know if we would still fare so well.  We did just re-fare a cruise under 3FF when they added the specialty dining this week but it is under the same sale (3FF) and we'd used a FCC to purchase the cruise so no issue.

Based on the responses I did think it was still available in North America.  I asked as I had lived in Canada for 20+ years and as people had said kept an eye on prices and would asking for a new reduced price - never an issue and always given.

Family health has meant that I had to return to the UK but they do not offer if over here.   The comment was that it was to meet UK requirements but not a legal requirement (as was put to me when I called Princess UK as a result of being able to get a reduction of £500 this used to be close to $1000 but now with Brexit, and the drop in the pound, it's just over $600 each.  As a result the two cruises we have booked will be the last Princess cruises.  Had I not lived in North America I, like most other  Brits, would not have known of it but I do know and rather then cruise with a line that treats some cruisers differently we will change lines.  At least if they do the same not being in Canada any more I won't know.

Thanks to everyone that has confirmed what I thought especially as I hadn't seen anything on CC about it (and I'm sure I would have done if it had changed)

We have re-fared our upcoming Panama canal cruise twice. (we are from Canada)   

We had to lose some of our extras (like a drink package) but the overall savings for us was significant (over $2000), and we have still have free Grats, plus a lot of OBC.

I think we are at the wining end of the stick as there was not a snowball chance in heck that the DW and I could drink $2,000 of booze on our cruise (if we hit $300, I would be surprised)

7 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

6 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

But not if your category is sold out.

If you see a price reduction before final payment (in North America), you can change to the new price as stated. If your category is sold out, you will not see a price reduction, because Princess does not quote prices on sold out categories.

I have had 2 different short cruises re-fared after final payment, with 2 different travel agents (one a big online agency and one an individual agent). In both cases there were still cabins available in our category and we didn't have any bonus offers attached.