THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

18 hours ago, mearsfansinboise said:

I am so glad you and @cruiseny4life mentioned this. 

Lately I have read comments on the boards about the attitudes/elitism of people who sail in the Haven and it sort of brought me down a little.  We aren't "rich people" and just sailed in the Haven for the first time this past March.  (No one's business, but we took advantage of the real estate market and sold our rental property and set some money aside to live a little.) 

We absolutely loved the Haven experience.  We never had to leave there; meals, Horizon Lounge - with snacks and food and drinks all day + the ability to order off the Haven pool menu (I ain't too proud to eat a good hot dog and the best fries around) - the pool, hot tubs, etc. kept us mostly in our ship within a ship or whatever that expression is.

We only left there for specialty dining and for entertainment on the 6th deck Atrium on occasion.

We interacted with our butler (gave him our letter at the first meeting) and our steward, and the concierge.  The service and food in the Haven restaurant was fantastic - though easy to get sick of because the menu doesn't change, so, when we sail the Haven again in October (lol, I know I said we aren't rich people, but, we had some money left and found a good price for Alaska) will do more specialty dining dinners - 2 with the reservation and then we did the additional package of 2 more.

I saw you asked a question in another post regarding American Diner - it's open every embarkation day for Haven guests. You do have to pay for a milkshake, but everything else is included. This is pretty much where my husband and I go after setting our bags down in our stateroom. When our butler told us about it in April, we thought it was a one-time deal, because so many people were on the ship (110%), but I've read a number of comments about this being an option for the Haven. 

Don't let others bring you down (I know how easy it can be to feel this way). Remember, Cruise Critic is a miniscule microcosm of dedicated cruisers. You'll see the same names over and over, with a few newbies that generally get a tongue-lashing for not following CC's etiquette (typically unwritten rules that some feel must be preserved at all cost). 

You'll notice some folks poo poo the Haven saying it's not right for them, which is fine btw! A much smaller subset will tell us that we're all rich and spoiled. If we're talking about worldwide population, then yep, we all (on this board) are amongst the wealthiest folks on earth, and we should all feel privileged to be where we are in life.

I don't feel that I'm wealthy - but I'll never feel the need to argue with someone on here about having money or not. For my husband and I, the Haven is a splurge, not a way of life (we don't take monthly sailings, that's for sure)!

As for the actual onboard experience - I have seen entitled people in the Haven and those that treat the staff with dignity and respect. I truly hope my husband and I are in the latter group of Haven guests. Don't be turned off by the snobby ones, just be sure to provide more smiles and kindness to the staff that probably really need a jolt of kindness after dealing with the entitled ones. My husband and I have a "milk man (super entitled dad)" story which I'll relate on Cruise Critic at an appropriate time. 

Anyway as @Yesimapiratesaid, don't feel the need to justify your cruising style to anyone. Just help folks out that ask questions and enjoy yourself on your Alaska cruise! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

This can't be correct because I have been on 8 NCL ships in Haven/Suites and have always had the portable "house" phone (Someone earlier referred to it as a cell phone, but it's not a cell phone - it's just a hand-held house phone.) And you can use it to call anywhere on the ship at any time (just like your cabin phone.)  It's a portable extension of your cabin phone.

PS  It actually even works off the ship if you are close to the ship. I've used it outside from the pier to communicate with my butler at times.

From the NCL site:

"

• Mobile phone that can be used throughout the ship (Available on Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Epic)"
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KKB said:

From the NCL site:

"

• Mobile phone that can be used throughout the ship (Available on Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Epic)"

If you've ever actually held one and used one, it's clearly not a cell phone.  I also used it on the NCL Gem (many times,  but most recently this past December) and on the Joy two months ago in May.  I have used it on the Bliss as well.

Here's a photo of the phone on the Joy.

NorCou181-2298-1557503938.jpg

It's very similar to this Cisco portable handset that goes with the cabin phone system.

images (4).jpeg

Edited by pcakes122
Edited to add photos!

15 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

If you've ever actually held one and used one, it's clearly not a cell phone.  I also used it on the NCL Gem (many times,  but most recently this past December) and on the Joy two months ago in May.  I have used it on the Bliss as well.

Here's a photo of the phone on the Joy.

NorCou181-2298-1557503938.jpg

It's very similar to this Cisco portable handset that goes with the cabin phone system.

images (4).jpeg

Not ENTIRELY surprising that the website isn't updated.

Hello Folks:

@sthrngary here.  Thank you all for keeping this “Secrets to the Haven VIP Experience” alive.  I would like to remind everyone; I updated this stream at the beginning of the year per many members’ request.  To me, it does not matter which you post too.  All that matters is that it helps everyone with information and education.  I have attempted to back off answering every question that is asked on my postings that I have authored.  My philosophy is, the knowledge of the group far exceeds the knowledge of any single member.  When I read the responses, that logic is very true.

I would like to address a few recent items from my perspective.  Remember, we all have an opinion, and it does not make it 100% accurate.

• To Haven or Not to Haven. That is the Question? :  When I wrote this blog and posted it on CruiseCritic.com, I did it for a reason.  I was frustrated that all the information on the NCL Haven that was available seemed to be marketing by NCL or a personal cruise consultant whose take was everything was perfect.  It did not allow me to make a business decision for what we all consider a premium priced approach to cruising.  I posted this topic and what happened was simply amazing.  Folks added items, clarified details, and updated new benefits.  Also, some folk really criticizing both the Haven and those that choose to invest in the premium to stay there.  That is fully expected in any social media format.  All I ask is to always be respectful and kind.  If someone disagrees with your position or point, there is no need to be harsh.  Yes, I am aware some posters who are aggressive with their dislike for the Haven have never stayed there.  Yet it is their right to post their opinion.  This is about the love of cruising, not who is right or wrong. 
  • Haven Suite Phones:  I have been in Haven Suites with and without the wireless phones located in the suite.  Personally, I never utilized them.  That was my choice.  I have seen folks have the phones with them on the Haven Sundeck and call their butler.  Because I rarely use the device, I have not noticed if it was in every Haven Suite on different ships.  This leads me to a very important notion and additional reason for authoring this topic.  I wanted all of us to establish realistic expectations.  If you visualize the Haven as the ultimate in personalized service, you will be disappointed.  If you look at it as a significant improvement from a normal cabin or suite, it will exceed your expectations. Please be realistic so your cruise is all it can be.
  • Food, Glorious Food: I love to eat, drink, and have great service while dining.  I have enjoyed the Suites Only Dining on Celebrity and the Haven Restaurant on NCL.  On Celebrity the menu changes daily.  When dining in the Haven Restaurant the menu for any meal never changes.  In both my examples the food was consistently excellent.  The service was superior.  I don’t really care about variety so the same menu every day is fine for me.  Yet I still take advantage of the ship specialty restaurants for the fun of it.  Whether you dine in a specialty restaurant or a suite only restaurant like the Haven; you will have a better meal all around compared to most ship main dining rooms. The key is to know and be realistic with your expectations. 
  • The Upgrade Fairy is Alive and Well:  I think NCL was brilliant when cruising began again after Covid-19.  Not to say Covid-19 is gone, it is not.  We have just managed around it.  NCL on ships that were less than 50% filled, made sure their upgrade bid program filled every single suite in the Haven.  Some bidders got the bargain value of a lifetime.  This allowed many who might never get the opportunity to try this exclusive way of sailing.  Now that the ship is filling up to capacity, these upgrade Haven Bids cost a bit more so not everyone can afford them.  I know, even though I write a lot about the Haven, my last cruise and future cruise is not in the Haven.  I made that decision based on my own personal budget.  I assure everyone, I will be bidding on a Haven Suite, yet my expectations are it does not matter.  I will love the vacation either way. 
  • Butlers: I made a comment earlier about setting realistic expectations.  One of the biggest debating points seems to be on what your Butler can and can not do for you.   If even having a butler is it worth the premium.  Butlers in the Haven are hit or miss.  The biggest complaints seem to be folks that read online what a butler did for another guest.  Please remember social media often sound better than reality.  About Butlers.  Most of you know I write a pre-cruise butler letter.  If I don’t see my butler right away, I ask the Haven Desk to have them come to my suite so I can give them my letter.  Nothing in the note is excessive.  No special favors.  Over the years I have figured out, butlers want to please us.  They just can’t read our minds. Guest sometimes are shy and don’t communicate or ask their butlers for anything.  My suggestion is to read the many topics online focused on what a butler will and will not do.  The letter I have written and other CruiseCritic.com members letters are attached to their posting on the topic.  All that really matters is we know that the butlers on an NCL ship do not participate in the automatic gratuities program.  How much you choose to tip them is up to you.  The gratuities question happens once a month.  It creates lively debate because it is both subjective and personal.  Just remember, you butler has many suites and other responsibilities.  They are not exclusively for you.  They also don’t have a crystal ball so know what you might need or want and communicate with them.  Ask for nothing you will get just that.
  • Haven Embarkment Day Lunch:  Because food is so important to my cruising experience, I take the subject very seriously.  On all my Haven voyages, when you board you can have lunch in the Haven Restaurant if the ship has one or a special restaurant which NCL selects.  Most recently on the Joy, it was the American Diner.  I had the “Blue Plate Special” which was classic roast beef, mashed potatoes, vegetables, and bread.  I loved that kind of food, so I was happy.  My family all got different entries and they did not like them at all.  I found it interesting that the Milk Shake was not part of the complementary meal.  Those that got the shake, loved it though.  On the Getaway some years back the lunch option was Margaritaville.  My choice unless those I am with insist on something else is the Haven Restaurant. I just enjoy it better and I know it is a personal choice.

The reason I initially booked the Haven way back when was the need to improve my cruising experience.  I was upset about folks that unofficially reserved chairs by the pool, when the bar tenders would make my wife wait for a drink by the pool for 30 minutes plus, rows in the theatre venue saved for guest that did not show up, below average food in main dining rooms, and the hassle of getting on/off the ship.  I just wanted a solution for some or all those items.  The Haven did that for us.  On the other side of the coin, I spent to much time in the Haven area and lost the fun of the rest of the ship.  Now we approach both equally.  Truly a ship with in a ship concept.

I hope my thoughts assist in some way. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

• Butlers: I made a comment earlier about setting realistic expectations.  One of the biggest debating points seems to be on what your Butler can and can not do for you.   If even having a butler is it worth the premium.  Butlers in the Haven are hit or miss.  The biggest complaints seem to be folks that read online what a butler did for another guest.  Please remember social media often sound better than reality.  About Butlers.  Most of you know I write a pre-cruise butler letter.  If I don’t see my butler right away, I ask the Haven Desk to have them come to my suite so I can give them my letter.  Nothing in the note is excessive.  No special favors.  Over the years I have figured out, butlers want to please us.  They just can’t read our minds. Guest sometimes are shy and don’t communicate or ask their butlers for anything.  My suggestion is to read the many topics online focused on what a butler will and will not do.  The letter I have written and other CruiseCritic.com members letters are attached to their posting on the topic.  All that really matters is we know that the butlers on an NCL ship do not participate in the automatic gratuities program.  How much you choose to tip them is up to you.  The gratuities question happens once a month.  It creates lively debate because it is both subjective and personal.  Just remember, you butler has many suites and other responsibilities.  They are not exclusively for you.  They also don’t have a crystal ball so know what you might need or want and communicate with them.  Ask for nothing you will get just that.
  •  

We had the most amazing butler on the Bliss in March - Ferdinand.  We gave him the letter and he said that he will never say no unless it's something he's not allowed to do.  I can't remember what we asked for, a food item, I think - he needed to ask his manager if it could be done .... and it could.  And that was it.  Morning wake-up coffee and pastries always there, afternoon snacks, bedtime snacks, balcony set up, etc. ... it was just such a wonderfully delicious experience.

I'm looking forward to the American Diner for our first complimentary meal when we board in October.  And I too was surprised to read that the milkshakes are not included. 

You're a gem, @Sthrngary - we've learned so much from you and those that contribute to this thread to enhance our Haven/sailing experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What time does the bar in the Haven area usually open in the mornings?  I don’t drink coffee and I get my morning caffeine fix with Diet Pepsi. I’m an early riser and love my fix asap. 

If it matters, I’m on the Getaway in late October. 

thanks

2 hours ago, Dcoy said:

What time does the bar in the Haven area usually open in the mornings?  I don’t drink coffee and I get my morning caffeine fix with Diet Pepsi. I’m an early riser and love my fix asap. 

If it matters, I’m on the Getaway in late October. 

thanks

When we were on the Getaway in April we often were in the Haven Lounge around 6:30/6:45 waiting for the restaurant to open. There was a always a bartender at the bar ready to assist us with water, iced tea, or juice. We never ordered alcohol that early, but I'm sure you could get a basic drink then as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

When we were on the Getaway in April we often were in the Haven Lounge around 6:30/6:45 waiting for the restaurant to open. There was a always a bartender at the bar ready to assist us with water, iced tea, or juice. We never ordered alcohol that early, but I'm sure you could get a basic drink then as well. 

Thanks, just need to get my Diet Pepsi fix. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know that this has been discussed here, but I want to make sure that I have it right.  We want to have dinners from the specialty restaurants served in the Haven Restaurant.  What is the procedure?  Do I set it up with the  maî·tre d?  Do I need to set it up a day in advance?

48 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

I know that this has been discussed here, but I want to make sure that I have it right.  We want to have dinners from the specialty restaurants served in the Haven Restaurant.  What is the procedure?  Do I set it up with the  maî·tre d?  Do I need to set it up a day in advance?

@pbenjaminAllow me to answer your question with what I recently did.  My wife loves a desert from the Cagney's.  We were eating in the Haven Restaurant and they got the desert for her.  Since it was only desert, I was charged.  I asked for this to be done the night before we wanted it.

On to a more elaborate answer.  The Haven Restaurant will accommodate you on almost anything it you request with a 24 hour notice.  Do you actually need it, no.  It is the right thing to do.  It would also make it easier if you knew what you wanted exactly but no critical.  Please understand it will take extra time to get it to you and it comes from a different kitchen so it might not be the same temp as if you were in the specific specialty restaurant. I have ordered from the the Main Dining Room also having it served in the Haven Restaurant with notice. 

Because I really want you to have the very best cruising experience, I would like you to consider actually going to the specific specialty restaurant instead of having it brought to the Haven Restaurant.  The other restaurants are lovely and the service is excellent. I fully understand if one of your party is ordering from the Haven Menu and another party is ordering from lets say, Cagney's.  I can see that.  Or, which happens more frequently, you are dining in your Haven Suite.  

My big focus on this thread is to assist in realistic expectations.  My suggestion above will get you the better outcome however it is not my call, it is yours.  My focus is as nice as the Haven is, NCL is very process driven.  Every time you approach an adjustment to that process could create disappointment.  

I hope I assisted in some way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@pbenjaminAllow me to answer your question with what I recently did.  My wife loves a desert from the Cagney's.  We were eating in the Haven Restaurant and they got the desert for her.  Since it was only desert, I was charged.  I asked for this to be done the night before we wanted it.

On to a more elaborate answer.  The Haven Restaurant will accommodate you on almost anything it you request with a 24 hour notice.  Do you actually need it, no.  It is the right thing to do.  It would also make it easier if you knew what you wanted exactly but no critical.  Please understand it will take extra time to get it to you and it comes from a different kitchen so it might not be the same temp as if you were in the specific specialty restaurant. I have ordered from the the Main Dining Room also having it served in the Haven Restaurant with notice. 

Because I really want you to have the very best cruising experience, I would like you to consider actually going to the specific specialty restaurant instead of having it brought to the Haven Restaurant.  The other restaurants are lovely and the service is excellent. I fully understand if one of your party is ordering from the Haven Menu and another party is ordering from lets say, Cagney's.  I can see that.  Or, which happens more frequently, you are dining in your Haven Suite.  

My big focus on this thread is to assist in realistic expectations.  My suggestion above will get you the better outcome however it is not my call, it is yours.  My focus is as nice as the Haven is, NCL is very process driven.  Every time you approach an adjustment to that process could create disappointment.  

I hope I assisted in some way.

Thanks.  My wife is concerned about COVID-19 and wants to stay in the Haven as much as possible, limiting her exposure to the set of people in the Haven rather than the ship's population as a whole.  As we will have 4 specialty dinners via the Free at See Upgrade package, I'm thinking of using them a couple of nights in the Haven restaurant, once in the suite and once in a specialty restaurant toward the end of the cruise.  

Back to my question, is the maî·tre d the person to talk to to set it up?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

Thanks.  My wife is concerned about COVID-19 and wants to stay in the Haven as much as possible, limiting her exposure to the set of people in the Haven rather than the ship's population as a whole.  As we will have 4 specialty dinners via the Free at See Upgrade package, I'm thinking of using them a couple of nights in the Haven restaurant, once in the suite and once in a specialty restaurant toward the end of the cruise.  

Yes, or the host.

3 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

So sorry for the long answer before.  I try to cover all bases.  The answer is, YES.  Just give them some notice.

Also understand, the Haven is always a sellout.  This is because NCL does the Upgrade Bid process.  That means and this comes from experience, the Haven Sundeck is more crowded then let's say the Vibe Beach Club.  The bar in the Haven is small so sit in the lounge and have the server bring you drinks to isolate a bit.  The Haven Restuarant can also be as crowded or more than a specialty Restuarant so keep that in mind. Eating early solves that issue and the same hold true with specialty Restaurants fYI.  Take full advantage of the Horizen Observation Deck for drinks as well, it is never crowded.  They don't have a bar but they have servers that get you drinks.  

If you have any other questions, it would be my pleasure to assist.  My wife and I have cruised three times in the last year.  We are cruising again in December.  We are fully vaccinated, 65 years old and recently both had covid anyway because we went to the World Games in Birmingham AL and saw Sumo in a small inside venue.  I totally get your reason and want you both to be safe.

• Like 2

Hello, All.

I have a question about drink packages and kiddos (and Haven). This is a long thread, I have been trying to read it all, but if this has been asked,  and answered in here, I apologize. My son will be 15 when we cruise in the Haven. We just got back from a Celebrity cruise where he could do kids package with smoothies, cocoa, etc. or, the way we had it, he had the premium package, but without alcohol, obviously. It cost the same but was part of the "all included" deal. This allowed him to get, to his delight, virgin fancy drinks and cocktails, and things like cappuccinos and lattes and the like. 

All I see for kids is a soda package.  Meh. He wants to have fancy drinks! Maybe this is a larger question than Haven, but I guess I am wondering if Haven itself makes a difference at all. Since he cannot have the adult package, and just not be served alcohol, is there any way for him to have fancy virgin drinks from the bar, or a nice coffee, and a nice coffee within the haven without having each one charged individually, and hoofing it to Starbucks all the time with an add on package? I wish they made it easy for him to feel celebratory and grown up with fun drinks, and not just pepsi all week long, easily. Maybe I am missing something. On Celebrity is was just easy as "premium, but no booze due to his age." He spent more time having coffees in the cafe than anything else, with a book. 

Edited by Lunesse

6 hours ago, Lunesse said:

Hello, All.

I have a question about drink packages and kiddos (and Haven). This is a long thread, I have been trying to read it all, but if this has been asked,  and answered in here, I apologize. My son will be 15 when we cruise in the Haven. We just got back from a Celebrity cruise where he could do kids package with smoothies, cocoa, etc. or, the way we had it, he had the premium package, but without alcohol, obviously. It cost the same but was part of the "all included" deal. This allowed him to get, to his delight, virgin fancy drinks and cocktails, and things like cappuccinos and lattes and the like. 

All I see for kids is a soda package.  Meh. He wants to have fancy drinks! Maybe this is a larger question than Haven, but I guess I am wondering if Haven itself makes a difference at all. Since he cannot have the adult package, and just not be served alcohol, is there any way for him to have fancy virgin drinks from the bar, or a nice coffee, and a nice coffee within the haven without having each one charged individually, and hoofing it to Starbucks all the time with an add on package? I wish they made it easy for him to feel celebratory and grown up with fun drinks, and not just pepsi all week long, easily. Maybe I am missing something. On Celebrity is was just easy as "premium, but no booze due to his age." He spent more time having coffees in the cafe than anything else, with a book. 

Hello from Sthrngary the OP.  Please remember this stream has been updated with the same name put revised at the end.  On to your question.  Make sure you son has the Soda package.  On coffee's, in the Haven, all coffee, specialty coffee's are complementary.  This is a perk that is not talked about often. On the Virgin drinks.  You will have to get someone else to educate you on this.  My strategy if in the Haven would be, to tip the Bar Tender and servers. Ask them if they can provide virgin drinks to your son.  Or, if you could order a virgin drink and give it to them.  

I can not guarantee it but, in the Haven, something tells my they will treat your son like a King.  On you and your spouse.  Read the stream on the premium plus beverage package.  I always get it and feel like a rock star.

32 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Hello from Sthrngary the OP.  Please remember this stream has been updated with the same name put revised at the end.  On to your question.  Make sure you son has the Soda package.  On coffee's, in the Haven, all coffee, specialty coffee's are complementary.  This is a perk that is not talked about often. On the Virgin drinks.  You will have to get someone else to educate you on this.  My strategy if in the Haven would be, to tip the Bar Tender and servers. Ask them if they can provide virgin drinks to your son.  Or, if you could order a virgin drink and give it to them.  

I can not guarantee it but, in the Haven, something tells my they will treat your son like a King.  On you and your spouse.  Read the stream on the premium plus beverage package.  I always get it and feel like a rock star.

So my Experience, When staying in the Haven the Haven Bartenders will almost always give any drink, now if you have the normal drink package they will let you know that outside the Haven the other bartenders would charge you. I am sure as far as Virgin Drinks the bartnenders will most likely accommodate without any issue. But again, Tip well 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

So my Experience, When staying in the Haven the Haven Bartenders will almost always give any drink, now if you have the normal drink package they will let you know that outside the Haven the other bartenders would charge you. I am sure as far as Virgin Drinks the bartnenders will most likely accommodate without any issue. But again, Tip well 

What you say is some what my experience.  Allow me to clarify.  Virgin Drinks, sure thing.  Coffee and Specialty Coffee's yes, no issue.  Will the fudge on occasion with higher end sprits, yes; but not all the time.  They are much stricter on wine and things like Tequila 1942.  

Because I really don't want to debate this issue and my intent is to establish realistic expectations, all me to share. In the Haven I have had both the Premium Beverage Package and the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  I drink spirits and my wife drinks wines.  What the bartender will do is let you know for certain wines and spirits there is a extra charge.  How do I know this, because I drink high end tequila's.  The drink price for the normal package was up to $15.00.  My tequila was $42.00 a shot.  They told me and I choose another tequila.  The next cruise I purchased the Premium Plus package and drink my high end tequila, high end champagne and wine the entire week.  No extra ad on charges. 

I am not saying a nice bartender might give someone a upgrade on occasions.  That happens all the time especially with the Smoking Drinks.  I am saying, if it happens, don't have an expectation prior to boarding it will always happen.  

• Like 1

Thank you, Sthrngary et al!   I will make sure he has the soda package, so that we are indeed paying for something for him, not just trying to get him free drinks off our package without any investment in his.  If he has to come into Haven to get a specialty coffee, that can be up to him. I think because he likes the feeling of a nice atmosphere and a good book with his drink, he'd do that by choice over Starbucks by default. As to the virgin drinks, I'm a big believer in just asking, all they can do is say no, etc., but I knew this must be at least a somewhat well-trod path for parents of teens, or even littler kids, though I know he'd appreciate if he could order it himself and not have MOM do it for him. 😃  I will ask the Haven bartender at the beginning of the cruise with a tip in hand.  Thanks for the info on premium vs. plus as well. That is a discussion that must be had. I would think both people in the room must get the plus, as I am sure some folks would do the "ill get yours on my card" thing to try to avoid paying for it twice, but still get the "good stuff."  And I will go try to find the updated thread as well, I hadn't found that yet. Thank you again, everyone! Glad to be in the Norwegian house for the next year as we anticipate! 😃

4 minutes ago, Lunesse said:

Thank you, Sthrngary et al!   I will make sure he has the soda package, so that we are indeed paying for something for him, not just trying to get him free drinks off our package without any investment in his.  If he has to come into Haven to get a specialty coffee, that can be up to him. I think because he likes the feeling of a nice atmosphere and a good book with his drink, he'd do that by choice over Starbucks by default. As to the virgin drinks, I'm a big believer in just asking, all they can do is say no, etc., but I knew this must be at least a somewhat well-trod path for parents of teens, or even littler kids, though I know he'd appreciate if he could order it himself and not have MOM do it for him. 😃  I will ask the Haven bartender at the beginning of the cruise with a tip in hand.  Thanks for the info on premium vs. plus as well. That is a discussion that must be had. I would think both people in the room must get the plus, as I am sure some folks would do the "ill get yours on my card" thing to try to avoid paying for it twice, but still get the "good stuff."  And I will go try to find the updated thread as well, I hadn't found that yet. Thank you again, everyone! Glad to be in the Norwegian house for the next year as we anticipate! 😃

When do you cruise? My husband and I have the soda package for our Sept. 3rd cruise, so I definitely don't mind trying to get some virgin drinks and letting you know how it goes. I plan to be charged for a drink or two, but will see what I can do to get a mojito with some club and lime (my husband does this with Sprite and lime). 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

We’ve never done it ourselves, but yes, we did see it last time on the Breakaway with a table near us, they ordered through the Matre D the night before.  He brought the menus to the table for them to look over, then came back a while later and took their orders for the next evening.   Enjoy!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

When do you cruise? My husband and I have the soda package for our Sept. 3rd cruise, so I definitely don't mind trying to get some virgin drinks and letting you know how it goes. I plan to be charged for a drink or two, but will see what I can do to get a mojito with some club and lime (my husband does this with Sprite and lime). 

Not until next summer, cruiseny4life. 😃  That would be great! I know for many minors fancy drinks are a big fun part of cruising, as well for any age that wants a froofy frosted something or just something new and different without the booze, without paying for something they definitely won't use. I wouldn't think it would be a huge thing to just have a non-alcoholic package in general with virgin drinks included, since other lines manage it, but, it might be hard to police or manage in ways I don't know about.  

I would love if you reported back. If my son has to pay for each virgin Miami Vice outside of Haven, or within, we can budget for that and give him an allowance to manage it to last the week, that's good financial training anyway, but it would be nice to know what happens to you! Enjoy your trip! It is almost here! Woooo!

We only order wine, and usually by the bottle, but I thought I remembered that it was the *alcohol* that "caused" any charge, that "soft drinks" are not charged.

I mean... what would they do with a Coke?  It's really a virgin Rum and Coke, right? 😉

Can anyone verify that NCL does indeed usually charge for a virgin cocktail?

GC

28 minutes ago, Lunesse said:

Not until next summer, cruiseny4life. 😃  That would be great! I know for many minors fancy drinks are a big fun part of cruising, as well for any age that wants a froofy frosted something or just something new and different without the booze, without paying for something they definitely won't use. I wouldn't think it would be a huge thing to just have a non-alcoholic package in general with virgin drinks included, since other lines manage it, but, it might be hard to police or manage in ways I don't know about.  

I would love if you reported back. If my son has to pay for each virgin Miami Vice outside of Haven, or within, we can budget for that and give him an allowance to manage it to last the week, that's good financial training anyway, but it would be nice to know what happens to you! Enjoy your trip! It is almost here! Woooo!

Of course! I typically enjoy my iced tea and water. Occasionally, I'll spring for a Coke which is why we did get the soda package. On our last cruise we enjoyed the Free at Sea normal package, so I did have a few drinks, but not nearly enough to justify the upgrade package!

I agree with you - a package that includes coffee, water, juice, soda, and virgin drinks would be great! For kids and adults, alike - especially my big kid husband. 

We can't wait the 16 days until our cruise, so thanks! 

• Like 1