Walk For The Cure

JerseyShore

As the daughter of two parents who died from other forms of cancer (ovarian and liver), I'm bugged every time we're on a Princess ships that does the "Walk".  Of course it's voluntary, so we don't have to participate and we don't--I give to local cancer-related orgs as well as Memorial Sloan Kettering Hosp. (NYC) which does a lot of cancer research.  I just think it's a mistake for a corporation to pick out one charity and only "support" that one on their cruises.  Here's a link to an article that has graphics re the cancer death rates for men and women:  https://www.unitypoint.org/desmoines/services-cancer-article.aspx?id=c9f17977-9947-4b66-9c0f-15076e987a5d.  Lung cancer is the biggest "killer" for both men and women (28% for men, 26% for women).  Breast cancer is 2nd largest cause at 14% for women and prostate cancer is 2nd for men at 10%.

Do other cruise lines do this as well (we've mostly sailed on Princess)?

Edited by BarbinMich
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JerseyShore said:

I was just on the Royal and there was no Walk For The Cure.  We have been on 12 other Princess Cruises & this is the first time there was no walk.....and October is Breast Cancer month.  Had Princess eliminated this charitable event?

I was on Sapphire in September and they did not do it either. 

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

That is shocking. Tried to verify this by going to Komen website and looking for recent P & L's but cannot find one. Guess we will just give donations to other worthy charities

• Like 1

we  were specifically told  by my oncologist, that if  we are  going to donate, to give  directly to your local  cancer center  and research center,  I will not donate to  the Komen folks  because  so much  goes to  overhead.   Breast Cancer survivor and  dealing with  metastatic breast cancer.

• Like 5

I am going to go slightly down the rabbit hole.

Regardless of the charity, please do some research. Validate it's 501c3 status by visiting IRS.gov. You should also go to their website. They should have their P&L, annual reports and leadership available. They should also have an outside auditor. If they are not on the website, they should be willing to simply send them to you. If they are unwilling to provide the data or are not independently audited, BEWARE!

End of PSA.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I am going to go slightly down the rabbit hole.

Regardless of the charity, please do some research. Validate it's 501c3 status by visiting IRS.gov. You should also go to their website. They should have their P&L, annual reports and leadership available. They should also have an outside auditor. If they are not on the website, they should be willing to simply send them to you. If they are unwilling to provide the data or are not independently audited, BEWARE!

End of PSA.

Form 990

• Like 2

I am a cancer survivor ,I lost my father and my nephew to cancer. (age 27). I no longer give to any charity ,I don't trust them we are  just paying their big  saleries! I used to think we were looking for a cure that is bunk!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 3