Solstice in Newcastle today

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

The first of what they say will be a record season.

The guns at the Fort will get a bit of a workout.

Photos or it didn’t happen.

Break out the ‘blad for a nice rich panorama.

📷📸📷

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Did they do it?

They do it for every ship of the season. early this year they fired for HMAS NEWCASTLE on her final visit and she was given the honour of returning fire.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, muddles@sea said:

Yes,  I was there with 3 members of Wangi RSL sub branch that fired the guns.  Unfortunately didn't catch the flare in the photos. IMG_20191016_171354.thumb.jpg.79f0cd0f24efd888148f7f3e8ba067a9.jpgIMG_20191016_170010.thumb.jpg.522d8b4b79682112099031c2dab1a99b.jpg

IMG_20191016_171741.jpg

Do you know who it was from Wangi that got to fire it?

6 minutes ago, muddles@sea said:

That's my other half, not George whoever he is. 

Ok thanks, I’m rom Wangi, ad a lot to do with the RSL from back when it was behind mum and dad’s trough to still going down for a feed every coupe of weeks.

Edited by GUT2407

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Do you know who it was from Wangi that got to fire it?

Members of the sub branch committee,  Leigh,  Ian and Gail.  First time we met them,  we were on invited by a friend who belongs to the club who thought my husband, ex RAAF would be interested. 

4 minutes ago, muddles@sea said:

Members of the sub branch committee,  Leigh,  Ian and Gail.  First time we met them,  we were on invited by a friend who belongs to the club who thought my husband, ex RAAF would be interested. 

Thanks.

I was at a loose end that morning so I went in to town to have a squiz. Newcastle was always called "town" when I was a young'n - never heard "newey" until recently. I'd forgotten about the rev head weekend coming up and couldn't do a foreshore crawl due to road closures. I parked at Nobby's beach. Plenty of spare parking spots which surprised me as it was a beautiful sunny day in town, it was cloudy overcast at the Lake when I left.

I sat at the promenade, enjoying the sun, enthralled by the surfers who now have foils on their boards - cool. Had a brief chat with a Polish/Canadian cruiser. His English wasn't very good but I said g'day in Polish which made him smile.

I tried to get on the free tourist tram but it had been booked for cruisers only. I wonder how much they paid for that? I noticed a few cruisers did the Memorial Walk to bar beach and there were a few up at the cathedral as well as other places around the streets with their maps.

I parked up the top of Bar Beach car park and enjoyed the view of the surf, beach goers and surfers while I listened to "Conversation" on the ABC.

I wondered if the old baths under the old Newcastle arcade in Hunter street could be an interesting place to visit. From memory, you have to go through a hidden door in someone's shop to get to it - I could be wrong. I'd love to see it.

Quite a relaxing morning.IMG_20191016_110344063.thumb.jpg.f7b765c6a207491ba0bd703e645006fa.jpg

Did I just do a review of sorts?