behind the fun tour

jmcancruise

As has been stated, it is either $95 or $99/person. Totally worth it to us. It takes place on the last sea day. You will meet in the Steakhouse early that morning (8am?) and start there. Closed toed shoes, no cell phones or cameras. You will be searched and security will use a wand on you prior to beginning the tour. I have done it on the Magic once and on the Breeze twice. (Daughter, father in law and then a friend accompanied me). Go to Guest Services on embarkation day and sign up. Don’t wait, it may be sold out. 

Edited by cruisinpips
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lottacruises said:

If it's sold out put your name on the waitlist. They do these a few times some cruises.

Good to know there is a wait list. My embarkation time isn't until 1 for my next cruise. I'm afraid it will be sold out by then. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisinpips said:

As has been stated, it is either $95 or $99/person. Totally worth it to us. It takes place on the last sea day. You will meet in the Steakhouse early that morning (8am?) and start there. Closed toed shoes, no cell phones or cameras. You will be searched and security will use a wand on you prior to beginning the tour. I have done it on the Magic once and on the Breeze twice. (Daughter, father in law and then a friend accompanied me). Go to Guest Services on embarkation day and sign up. Don’t wait, it may be sold out. 

Actually I think you sign up at the excursion desk, not guest services, at least that's what I've done twice in the past.  Sometimes, if they get a long enough wait list, they will do a 2nd group.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The excursion desk is normally not open until later in the day, I have always went to GS, and they signed me up and printed the tix. They have started taking up to two groups per cruise if there is enough demand. The group size is a max of 16, or it has been in our experience. 

Cmptrwiz, thanks for the input.  I've been trying to decide whether giving up half a sea day (out of just two, which is all we seem to get on any 7-day sailing) is warranted --- but it sounds like I should.   Everyone shares that the Behind the Fun Tour is enjoyable...but you are the first I've seen to address it from an "in lieu of seaday relaxation."  Thank you for considering from that perspective.

Edited by Out of Iowa
grammar, clarity

you're still at sea having a great time on an excellent tour. If you think it's a waste of a half day, don't do the tour. You can always watch the hairy chest contest, now that's a waste of time for me. We loved the tour and learned so much about the inner goings on of the ship.

Edited by coevan
sp
  • Like 2

Did this tour an the Magic on our Sept cruise. $95.00 dollars and worth every penny. Having said that i wont ever feel the need to do it on another ship. Saw so much and learned even more. Even met some of the dancers and was in their costume room. Photo's to take away from the adventure as well. Taken by ship photographer but you get copy's as part of the cost. 

We've done Behind the Fun twice, on Conquest in 2010 and Horizon in 2018. Both times the cost was $95 (I'm still amazed that it didn't increase in that time). The tour takes up the morning - both times we finished about 11:45. It's also pretty intensive, with a lot of walking. You will see backstage in the main theater, a fairly extensive galley tour, food storage areas, the laundry, waste treatment area, and the crew mess. The highlights are the engine control room (not the engine room) and the bridge, where you can meet the chief engineer and the captain respectively. It's really educational. You can't take your own pictures, but the ship's photographer will take several for you. At the end they give you a backpack with a cap and lanyard. They sent chocolate-covered strawberries to our cabin. It's not something we'd do on every sailing, but we thought Conquest and Horizon were different enough that it would be worth doing again - and it was.

As for signing up, we're Platinum so we board early. On Conquest, the excursion desk wasn't open yet so we signed up at Guest Services. On Horizon, the excursion desk was open and we signed up there.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a galley tour on another cruise line for free years back because a coworker's daughter worked on the ship and hooked me up with it when they found out about my vacation. I enjoyed it but once I found out what the actual cost was I was like I liked it because it was free but I would not pay that much for it.