So you're wondering about L107/108, M107/108 on Royal Class ships . . .

jondfk

I like strange cabins.  Really.  Love the Window Suites on the older Grand class ships.  Love cabins at the end of dead end companionways.  Anything other than a rectangular box, I'll try.

We couldn't resist booking on of these odd duck cabins on Lido deck with the giant balcony at the very front of the ship.  I've seen many question, a fair number of photo's but still thought I'd add my thoughts having spent 15 days in one of these on Royal.

Positives:

+ We LOVED the shape of the cabin.  It's an 'L' shape with a long entry hall with closets on one side, the bathroom on the other.  There's a small sitting room and around the corner is the sleeping area.

+ That bedroom area is huge.  How huge?  Well we stored all of our luggage in the corner on the floor and never stepped over it at any point over two weeks.  I don't know the square footage but there's no doubt that OV cabins we've stayed in were smaller than the bedroom alone.

+ That huge deck, well it really is huge.  You see the same view as the captain for sail ins / sail outs.  What could be better?

+ It's (obviously) at the end of the ship.  So quiet, quiet, quiet.  Never heard a soul during our trip.

+ It's on Lido deck.  It's a fair walk to Horizon Court but, no stairs, no elevators.

+ It's dark when the lights go out.  Perched out front like this they took care to limit ambient light which could interfere with the bridge.  The sleeping room was pitch black once the lights went out - we looked at the stars from our bed several nights (be sure to close the curtain though because the sun comes up early up there on deck 16!).

Negatives:

- Well, that huge balcony really can't be used most times when the ship is in motion.  There was one day when the prevailing wind was from the stern when it was marginally usable.  There were many days when the wind over the rail was probably 45mph, yeah, some of it is deflected up but still . . . 

- L107/L108 have no shade whatsoever.  It's quite warm out there anytime the sun is beating down on the metal deck.  I suspect M107/M108 are superior given the fact that they are substantially covered by the Lido deck cabins.

- The sitting room is small, there's a loveseat with a pull out.  If pulled out the bed ends about 9 inches from the far side of the room.  It's sufficient space for two but would feel quite tight with more.  

Net take away.  We've decided we love these cabins and would book one again anytime.  I'm happy to take any specific questions you might have about these oddball cabins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What type of balcony furniture is there and how much? I saw a pic once which showed just the standard 2 chairs with ottoman and small table that is on most balconies. It looked anemic in such a large space. Have they added any more?

Thanks for posting this, I am in M108 on the Sky next year and I’m super psyched! I normally travel in a suite but Princess really lacks in suite perks area in my opinion so I want this opportunity on the brand new ship to try out the huge balcony and have the Ultimate Balcony dinner this time around. 🤗

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KCsealegs said:

What type of balcony furniture is there and how much? I saw a pic once which showed just the standard 2 chairs with ottoman and small table that is on most balconies. It looked anemic in such a large space. Have they added any more?

I sailed M107 (2016) and L107 (2017) on the Royal. Pictures from both cruises show two small square wooden tables, Round wooden table with 4 wooden chairs,, and two wooden loungers with cushions. I have attempted to attach a picture from the L107 cruise.

Sean

IMG_20171204_153237554.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Your timing is impeccable. I just booked L108 on the new Discovery and am having serious second thoughts about it. Can you use the side balcony while underway? Is there any kind of wind block like the privacy screens the other cabins have?

We love these forward cabins! We've been in L108 on the Regal for the 10 day out of NYC and 14 days last spring cruising the Caribbean. We are booked in the same cabin for a b2b on the Sky over New Years! 

Not to keep the Enchanted Princess out of the game, we booked L108 on her too, before we head back to L108 on the Sky Princess for the 10 day Southern Caribbean in 2021! Our first side-way b2b. Same cabin different ships...should be interesting🙂

We found we could enjoy the balcony on many days. Yes, sea days were windy but at times the wind was not too bad. The evenings at sea were nice enough for us to enjoy the stars and the dark seas. The large balcony has a nice big table & chairs, plus two wooden loungers with cushions. The big table is perfect for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on late departure port nights. We also enjoyed afternoon tea on the balcony with friends watching tenders, tour boats & helicopters buzzing around while we were in Grand Cayman.

• Like 1

We love these cabins too!  I have a bunch of photos and will try to post later maybe.  The 2 on the Lido Deck have smaller balconies but they are still massive compared to every other cabin on the ship.  The biggest are on the Marina Deck.  We loved the Lido Deck and did use it while sailing too but it's obviously more comfortable during port days.

22 hours ago, KCsealegs said:

The furniture was teak (quite weather worn for the record).  Full size table, 4 side chairs, two loungers.

Even with all this furniture one could easily navigate the large deck space.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rand5204 said:

Your timing is impeccable. I just booked L108 on the new Discovery and am having serious second thoughts about it. Can you use the side balcony while underway? Is there any kind of wind block like the privacy screens the other cabins have?

The side balcony doesn't have any sort of wind block at the forward end so wind can still come through this area at high speed depending on direction.  Assuming it's usable from a wind perspective, it's the same size as any Royal class balcony, which as has been widely reported means - small.  We did pull two chairs over to sit here a couple of times when the forward area was just unusable.  

There are the usual privacy screen both between L107 and L105 and between L107 and L109, either or both could have been opened if traveling with friends / family.

• 1 month later...

We had M108 on the Royal last April and loved the heck out of it. I've booked us in M107 on the Discovery in 2022, and I'm wondering about a thing. I notice that on the deckplans there's a little hall that runs past M107 toward the side of the ship. There's a small staircase there. Does that go down to the bridge or what? Anybody know? Is traffic going past likely to be a problem?

On 10/16/2019 at 10:24 AM, rand5204 said:

We have been in L108 on the Royal and did use the side balcony. It is narrow but not as windy. We had nice weather and did get to enjoy the balcony. 

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

We had M108 on the Royal last April and loved the heck out of it. I've booked us in M107 on the Discovery in 2022, and I'm wondering about a thing. I notice that on the deckplans there's a little hall that runs past M107 toward the side of the ship. There's a small staircase there. Does that go down to the bridge or what? Anybody know? Is traffic going past likely to be a problem?

We have had M107 and did not detect a hallway or stairs. If there are stairs, we never detected it! Awesome cabin.

Janet

13 hours ago, sun&sea said:

We have had M107 and did not detect a hallway or stairs. If there are stairs, we never detected it! Awesome cabin.

Janet

Thanks for the info. It's an odd place to put a flight of stairs, so I was really surprised to see it on the deckplans. Maybe something else, but I wouldn't know what. I won't worry about it. 🙂

Thanks for all the information.  We always cruise CCmini, and had always picked a midship cabin.  But on our next 4 cruises on the Enchanted, Sky, and Discovery, I was able to book a WS (S108) for three of them and M108 for one as no WS 's were left.  I am really excited to try these cabins.  Think these will be my go to cabins from now on even if I have to book w a y out to get them and miss some freebies to do so.  I think it is worth it to get these locations.

Pooh

40 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Thanks for the info. It's an odd place to put a flight of stairs, so I was really surprised to see it on the deckplans. Maybe something else, but I wouldn't know what. I won't worry about it. 🙂

We're booked in a similar cabin in the future.  I fully expect that this is the emergency exit.   It is not odd in any way what so ever.  It is at the furthermost point along a passage way leading away from the primary staircases.

Maybe not worry about it; but do NOT ignore it-it could save your life.  Sea Hag, may I humbly suggest that next time you are sleeping in an unfamiliar place that you review the egress plan and not be dismissive of such.

2 minutes ago, Mears Family said:

We're booked in a similar cabin in the future.  I fully expect that this is the emergency exit.   It is not odd in any way what so ever.  It is at the furthermost point along a passage way leading away from the primary staircases.

Maybe not worry about it; but do NOT ignore it-it could save your life.  Sea Hag, may I humbly suggest that next time you are sleeping in an unfamiliar place that you review the egress plan and not be dismissive of such.

Would you please point out to me where I said I was going to ignore it? I believe that what I said was that I wasn't going to worry about it. To my mind, that doesn't map out as ignoring it, but if you find it dismissive, you're free to do so.

• 3 years later...

I have booked Royal L102 L103 L 104 and M103 I love it up there and  hung out out side when ever as the videos show below.

I have not booked in the 2 smaller mini suites in that position but have booked L107  Reserve Mini on Enchanted this November 

Hope this helps.

image.thumb.png.3654b34b2a754a97b9388e00a3511793.png

https://youtu.be/QdA0bVjyZuQ.  

https://youtu.be/Z6oldqeCMjk

Edited by BeachBum777

On 10/15/2019 at 9:01 PM, Waterluv said:

Thanks for posting this, I am in M108 on the Sky next year and I’m super psyched! I normally travel in a suite but Princess really lacks in suite perks area in my opinion so I want this opportunity on the brand new ship to try out the huge balcony and have the Ultimate Balcony dinner this time around. 🤗

You might want to think about the dinner.  We did it in one of these cabins but we waited until we overnighted in Honolulu.  The wind is a factor.  

• Like 1

We had L107 on the Enchanted (TA - west to east) and M108 on the Discovery (Alaska inside passage). We also have M108 on the Sky next February. That being said, among the four category M6 cabins, I would prefer the two Lido deck ones over the Marina deck versions. While there is novelty in having the massive deck over the bridge that sticks way out, there is little shade and the wind can be pretty severe rendering most of the balcony unusable. With the smaller Lido version it is possible to tuck in behind and under the steel railing/ barrier and have some protection while still enjoying the outside and the side balcony is completely covered. On our TA there were at least three days where the wind was behind us and it was almost perfectly calm on the open Atlantic. On the Discovery, we had the teak furniture (no loungers) while on the Enchanted there were two of the typical pool loungers in addition to the tradition small round table and chairs (see attached pics). Both balconies had their merits but what really differentiates things is the significantly larger cabin on Lido (especially the bedroom). There were 3 large closets along the entry way (not on Marina) and the bedroom had plenty of room to move around and store things. 

IMG_5586.jpeg

IMG_2772.jpeg

IMG_2773.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Last note; On Discovery Princess L 107 and similar cabins up front - there is no teak furniture, cushions or Chase loungers. A table 2 chairs and ottomans is standard.

We asked and were told cushion loungers  are reserved for full suites only. I don’t give up easy so I asked the room steward to check with his supervisor about a pool chair plus $20 it showed up lol.

Now it occurred to me. I could locate one of the adaptable cushions for movies under the stars. And Bam improvising

IMG_0094.jpeg

Edited by BeachBum777