First Timer in Venice

sabbo55

I am starting early for my pre-cruise stay ( 2-nights) in Venice for Aug.2020.

I have all the basic questions.

1. How do we get from the airport to the hotel?

2.  At what hotel should we stay?  We would put importance on location, being it's our first trip to Venice.

3.  What are the must sees?

4.  How do we get from the hotel to the cruise port?

I have spent time online looking this all up, but Venice seems particularly  tricky.  Also as I have found with past cruises, the CC members are much more knowledgeable!

Thanks for help and suggestions.

• Like 1

Can you easily manage your luggage ?  That's usually the deciding factor for a hotel location.  As well as budget. Venice is very pricey.

If you can easily manage your luggage you can stay anywhere. 

IF you can't, most people tend to stay around the Piazzale Roma area which is the last point of land travel in Venice (where taxis, cars, buses drop off their airport passengers).  There are a few hotels right on the plaza, and if you can manage a small bridge and 2 blocks several more hotels to choose from. If you need an elevator, be sure to inquire as they're not everywhere.

OR, pay for a water taxi , around 110E to take you from the airport to your hotel. 

I travel light so I take the ATVO express bus, nonstop from airport to Piazzale Roma ( around 8E, 20 minutes), then I walk a couple of blocks to the Grand Canal and hop on a vaporetto to take me within a few blocks of my apt or hotel. 

If I was boarding a ship, I'd go back to Piazzale Roma, walk 2 blocks to the People Mover entrance and ride the monorail to the pier ( 3 minutes, 1.2E ), then walk a few blocks to whichever berth.  If you can't manage your luggage a cab can take you from P Roma to the pier, for a 5 minute ride. I've heard it can cost 20/25E tho.

As for sights to see,  you'll need to do some research and determine YOUR priorities.  What I choose to see won't necessarily interest you.  PLUS, my favorite activities are riding the vaporetto and wandering around the lesser canals to see daily life.  Churches, not.   I'd suggest getting a Venice travel book from your library to figure out your priorities.

This web site has lots of useful info:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

Have fun with your research !

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Can you easily manage your luggage ?  That's usually the deciding factor for a hotel location.  As well as budget. Venice is very pricey.

If you can easily manage your luggage you can stay anywhere. 

IF you can't, most people tend to stay around the Piazzale Roma area which is the last point of land travel in Venice (where taxis, cars, buses drop off their airport passengers).  There are a few hotels right on the plaza, and if you can manage a small bridge and 2 blocks several more hotels to choose from. If you need an elevator, be sure to inquire as they're not everywhere.

OR, pay for a water taxi , around 110E to take you from the airport to your hotel. 

I travel light so I take the ATVO express bus, nonstop from airport to Piazzale Roma ( around 8E, 20 minutes), then I walk a couple of blocks to the Grand Canal and hop on a vaporetto to take me within a few blocks of my apt or hotel. 

If I was boarding a ship, I'd go back to Piazzale Roma, walk 2 blocks to the People Mover entrance and ride the monorail to the pier ( 3 minutes, 1.2E ), then walk a few blocks to whichever berth.  If you can't manage your luggage a cab can take you from P Roma to the pier, for a 5 minute ride. I've heard it can cost 20/25E tho.

As for sights to see,  you'll need to do some research and determine YOUR priorities.  What I choose to see won't necessarily interest you.  PLUS, my favorite activities are riding the vaporetto and wandering around the lesser canals to see daily life.  Churches, not.   I'd suggest getting a Venice travel book from your library to figure out your priorities.

This web site has lots of useful info:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

Have fun with your research !

We are very mobile and can manage our luggage!

Thanks for all the information

Venice airport to Piazzale Roma which is a big square and contains the bus station, as mentioned the ATVO bus is direct and more comfortable but there is another easily confused bus run by ACTV, which stops for locals.

ACTV also run the Vaporetto (ferry) service. If using a Vaporetto you obviously buy a ticket from one of the many kiosks, we prefer a day ticket and every time you start to board a ferry you must scan the ticket at the scanner machine, scanner is not on the ferry so don’t forget.

Venice is very walkable and getting lost is part of the fun. St Mark’s square is the hot spot and very expensive to eat/drink in that area.

As for hotels we just picked one near Piazzale Roma to save hauling luggage too far, google ‘hotels near Piazzale Roma’

Location is the trickiest decision for Venice, and opinions vary based on your preferences, travel style and budget. 

I generally prefer to be in the "center" of whatever area I'm visiting rather than staying on the periphery. I like being able to step outside my door and "be there", not have to commute there. For me, that means I'd never consider staying in Mestre, on the mainland, which is a more budget-friendly option -- but it isn't Venice.

As already mentioned, Piazzale Roma is an area much frequented by those who are going to be embarking on a cruise, and it is the major tranportation hub -- buses arrive and depart from here, most vaporetti have a stop here, the People Mover is here. Because of that, it is often very crowded.  It's better than Mestre, but still is not what I would call the most charming or typical part of Venice. Still, Venice is small and it's relatively easy to get around, so it's not a bad option to consider.

When I was last there, I stayed in a hotel well located between two of the most iconic areas: San Marco and Rialto (named from the famous Rialto bridge).  The hotel I chose has a vaporetto stop AND an Alilaguna stop just feet away from the entrance, so you don't have to a) pay for an expensive private water taxi when arriving/departing and b) don't have to cross any bridges with your luggage.  These are all things you should think about -- not promoting my particular hotel, just giving you an idea of my decision process...  The website given in post #2 gives invaluable info on locations, such as the number of bridges that have to be crossed to particular hotels, etc. I strongly encourage you to study it!

One other tip:  Canal view rooms are always, always more expensive. Just know that going in. 

Edited by cruisemom42

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Location is the trickiest decision for Venice, and opinions vary based on your preferences, travel style and budget. 

I generally prefer to be in the "center" of whatever area I'm visiting rather than staying on the periphery. I like being able to step outside my door and "be there", not have to commute there. For me, that means I'd never consider staying in Mestre, on the mainland, which is a more budget-friendly option -- but it isn't Venice.

As already mentioned, Piazzale Roma is an area much frequented by those who are going to be embarking on a cruise, and it is the major tranportation hub -- buses arrive and depart from here, most vaporetti have a stop here, the People Mover is here. Because of that, it is often very crowded.  It's better than Mestre, but still is not what I would call the most charming or typical part of Venice. Still, Venice is small and it's relatively easy to get around, so it's not a bad option to consider.

When I was last there, I stayed in a hotel well located between two of the most iconic areas: San Marco and Rialto (named from the famous Rialto bridge).  The hotel I chose has a vaporetto stop AND an Alilaguna stop just feet away from the entrance, so you don't have to a) pay for an expensive private water taxi when arriving/departing and b) don't have to cross any bridges with your luggage.  These are all things you should think about -- not promoting my particular hotel, just giving you an idea of my decision process...  The website given in post #2 gives invaluable info on locations, such as the number of bridges that have to be crossed to particular hotels, etc. I strongly encourage you to study it!

One other tip:  Canal view rooms are always, always more expensive. Just know that going in. 

I am not unlike you in that I want to stay in the "center" and "be there".  My only concern is getting from the airport to the hotel and then the hotel to the cruise port.  We have no problem with walking, bridges, stairs or luggage. I will study the website, but would welcome your specific hotel recommendation between San Marco and Rialto.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Keep in mind that Venice is quite small .... they say  you can walk from Piazzale Roma to St Marks in under an hour. I have zero sense of direction, so it took me much longer!

I agree with cruisemom that P Roma is a rather 'soul-less' area.   I stayed there once and it was fine, but not my favorite.  And I prefer an apt .  I like having a kitchen so I can make a cup of coffee first thing, and a fridge to keep snacks and cold drinks.  We've stayed at each of the apts owned by the family who owns Pensione Gueratto.  The Pensione was in a Rick Steves book and located nr the Rialto Bridge. It was full on my first visit to Venice but since we were a family of 4 and staying 2 nites, they offered one of their apts.  The apts are located near the Rialto Bridge or halfway between Rialto and St Marks. Great area !

I also like cruisemoms idea of staying near a airport boat stop.  Just keep in mind that the Alilaguna is not a short ride from the airport, depending on your stop.  The link I provided earlier has hotels near each stop and an orientation map showing the stops:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/orientation-map.htm

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/directions/index-alilaguna.htm

If you stay nr an Alilaguna stop you can also use their boat to reach the pier.

https://www.alilaguna.it/en/lines/lines-map

Edited by mapleleaves

On 10/17/2019 at 12:52 PM, sabbo55 said:

I am starting early for my pre-cruise stay ( 2-nights) in Venice for Aug.2020.

I have all the basic questions.

1. How do we get from the airport to the hotel?

2.  At what hotel should we stay?  We would put importance on location, being it's our first trip to Venice.

3.  What are the must sees?

4.  How do we get from the hotel to the cruise port?

I have spent time online looking this all up, but Venice seems particularly  tricky.  Also as I have found with past cruises, the CC members are much more knowledgeable!

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Others have chimed in, we've done Airport to Venice and two nights there then to ship twice now.

1) Private water Taxi or Venice Water Taxi Alilaguna can drop you within walking distance of almost everything major.   

2) We've always stayed central to St Marco, hotels are pricey, BnB are showing up that are good values.  We did this last time and literally < 3' walk from St Marco, 5' to the watertaxi station dropoff

3) If you have time the Alilaguna is the way around plus a little walking.

4) If you got money hire a private water taxi or share one for either airport to Venice or Venice to port, well worth it.

Remember lots of cobbles stone and step up/down and bridges so pack / luggage with that in mind.

Thanks for all the help.

I think I settled in on a location.  I am looking at Dorsoduro.  It is close to the cruise terminal and still walkable to the San Marco area. Plus the location has attractions in its own right.

The hotel I'm looking at will assist in transfer from the airport and to the cruise ship.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/21/2019 at 6:29 PM, sabbo55 said:

Thanks for all the help.

I think I settled in on a location.  I am looking at Dorsoduro.  It is close to the cruise terminal and still walkable to the San Marco area. Plus the location has attractions in its own right.

The hotel I'm looking at will assist in transfer from the airport and to the cruise ship.

I was just wondering what Hotel you decided on. We are in the same situation as you. Going on a cruise in 2020 and staying 3 days pre cruise in Venice. Don’t have a clue where to stay with airport and cruise transfers. Thanks

27 minutes ago, cruisinislife said:

I was just wondering what Hotel you decided on. We are in the same situation as you. Going on a cruise in 2020 and staying 3 days pre cruise in Venice. Don’t have a clue where to stay with airport and cruise transfers. Thanks

We booked the PALAZZO VENEZIANO in Dorsoduro. From the website it looks great.

Hi , I went on my first cruise from Venice in September and found it a bit overwhelming at first.  

I listened to what people said and decided to book a hotel in the area of Piazzelle Roma.  I thought it was a good decision.  We flew into Marco Polo airport, got the airport bus to Piazzelle Roma (the cheapest way into the city) and then had just one bridge to cross before we got to our hotel.  We stayed at La Locanda di Orsaria.  It was a low cost hotel in comparison to the rest of Venice, but a high price compared to what I usually spend.  It was old fashioned, but clean, comfortable and had a good breakfast.  Venice is expensive.  The location was brilliant - right beside the train station if we had wanted to travel further afield and right beside the vaporetto stops.  I would certainly look at that hotel again if I was going to visit Venice again (sadly I probably wont because I have so many places on my bucket list). 

It was near (ish - but certainly within walking distance) to the people carrier - the first morning I got up early and went to buy the people carrier tickets for the next day,  so that when we wanted to go and get to the ship we did not have to wait in a queue.  It was a good plan.  

I had a great Rick Steves (free) audio guide for the tour from the vaporetto stop beside the hotel to St Marks Square.  It was lovely to do that early on the Sunday morning before the cruise.  It was the only non-busy vaporetto time we experienced during the whole of the trip.   It got me perfectly into St MArk’s Square early on the Sunday morning when it was quiet (and I could play another Rick Steves audio guide) and  at about 9 am I had no difficulty getting into the Doge’s Palace for my tour.  

We had a whole day in Venice at the end of the cruise because I wanted a direct flight to Malaga and the only one suitable was at 9 pm from Treviso.  The bus from Piazzele Roma was convenient.  Luggage storage for the day was right beside the people carrier.  

So the bottom line is - think how you are travelling in and out of Venice.  Consider how you will get back to the airport at the end of your trip.  Being near to Piazzelle Roma has to be the best hotel location.    If you are near to a vaporetto stop then you will be happy.  

This is a good place to go for a free rooftop view.  You need to book in advance.  

https://www.dfs.com/en/venice/t-fondaco-rooftop-terrace

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 1:12 PM, ollienbertsmum said:

... So the bottom line is - think how you are travelling in and out of Venice.  Consider how you will get back to the airport at the end of your trip.  Being near to Piazzelle Roma has to be the best hotel location.    If you are near to a vaporetto stop then you will be happy.  

This is a good place to go for a free rooftop view.  You need to book in advance.  

https://www.dfs.com/en/venice/t-fondaco-rooftop-terrace

Thanks for coming back to give feedback after your cruise.  The rooftop terrace view is a great idea, Thank you!

• Like 1

A lot depends on when you arrive at the airport.  After a long overnight flight the last thing you need is to schlep to your hotel with a whole series of transfers.

Either take a taxi to SAN Basilio and walk 400 yards on the waterfront to your hotel or take a water taxi directly from the airport to your hotel.   This is more expensive but the only way to arrive in Venice.   You can share a water taxi with 2 or 4 others.

Tom’s Port Guides has everything you can absorb about Venice- all in one handy place.