Different Type of Tipping Question

Cruzin Grandma

1 hour ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi,

Read that post seems like he opted out of both daily gratuity and the 18% drink service charge.

Yes, that was straight from 'the horses mouth.'  It was a 30 day cruise, hence the hefty amount.   Princess would not have been happy losing that revenue to supplement wages.  I reckon in the future it will be all inclusive like Princess Australia and P&O UK.  Then they will have the revenue to supplement wages.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes, that was straight from 'the horses mouth.'  It was a 30 day cruise, hence the hefty amount.   Princess would not have been happy losing that revenue to supplement wages.  I reckon in the future it will be all inclusive like Princess Australia and P&O UK.  Then they will have the revenue to supplement wages.

I don't think cruises out of USA will ever be all-inclusive, that is, without gratuities. Americans are used to handing out tips. Even with the auto-gratuities, most of them feel they have to tip extra.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:12 AM, Cruzin Grandma said:

We generally pre-pay our tips so as not to have so many daily charges on our folio, however, on our up coming cruise we have a large amount of non-refundable OBC and would like to use that for tips.  Has anyone asked Passenger Service to charge your folio for the entire suggested amount at one time so as not to see daily charges?  I honestly do not want have to do the daily math to know how much OBC is remaining. Please do not let this escalate into a tipping debate or question my reasoning for this. Thanks in advance.

All you have to do is multiply $29 ($14.50 x 2) or $31.00 ($15.50 x 2 if in a mini-suite or suite) by the number of days of the cruise and subtract that amount from your OBC to see what you'll have left at the end.

For example : 7 day cruise in a balcony for 2 people would be $203.00 for gratuities.

If you have $400 in OBC that would leave you $197 to spend on other things.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, frugaltravel said:

Are those who prepay tips to "even out the payments" just undisciplined enough to put money into a savings account and not spend it? I can't think of another reason but would love to hear others' thoughts.

I prepay my gratuities but I like to have all my ducks in a little row lol. I like to plan, and if I can pay for something in advance I absolutely will to the best of my ability. I’m not cruising until may 2020, but my gratuity is all paid off already, my shore excursions are going to be booked and paid for by next month. I like to be able to save a lot for the cruise so I don’t worry about money. Not having the tips prepaid is a money worry. I don’t like the little minus sign on my shipboard account, it makes me nervous. I grew up just poor enough that I know to account for every cent, so if can get it done and paid off, I’ll do it. 

• Like 1

Sorry Princess will not change the system for you. One way you could get this done, is to remove the Auto daily fee on the first day of the cruise, and then put it back at the end, they will charge you for the whole cruise at one time. If you do this you may want to tell the staff what you have done and that you will put it back on. 

Really no difference than a guest saying I will pay in cash and removing then going to guest services and saying I do not have the cash please charge my account.  Sometime we need to think outside the box. 

Some guest seem to like to prepay things so they don't have a big bill. Really no reason if you can budget or you have more than enough money and really don't care. 

Edited by Expat Cruise