New suite experiences survey

Werangels

2 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

This does not reflect reality, I'm sorry to say.  The captain hosts a dinner in Discoveries on nearly every cruise, as do other senior officers like hotel director and chief engineer.  Invitees are a mix of long-time and newer guests to Azamara, from all stateroom categories.

The dinner in the library is for the ten large, corner suites.  It is a perq for those who have spent a rather large amount of money to be in those suites.  It is the only "outside the suite" perq for these guests and I, for one, do not begrudge them this.

Saying the Chef's Table guests "looked none too comfortable" is a rather sweeping generalization based, apparently, on no research.  Those Tables are invariably booked up early and get excellent feedback from attendees.  As Bonnie wrote, the hosting officer is not the primary attraction, the food and wine is.

I have to say you've given a very distorted and rather negatively-biased picture of three offerings--officer-hosted dinners, Chef's Tables, and the Best of the Best dinner for top suite guests--that Azamara does very well and that are very well-received.

Thank you.  Perfectly stated.  I don’t agree at all with what Ladys Mom said.  My experience is that there is the full range of guests at hosted tables and it is not always in the MDR.  It is often held in one of the specialties.  It’s a lovely evening, but not something generally to expect.  Just nice if you are asked, regardless of the cabin one stays in.  

Phil

• Like 2

On 10/22/2019 at 1:44 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm sorry that I've touched a nerve. I'm only telling it as I see it. I've cruised on Celebrity for 16 years or so and in my view she has spoiled it. And I'm not alone in that feeling. I'm glad to hear she has no input on Azamara and I hope that continues. 

Phil 

We have another scheduled on Celebrity, but I would share these concerns.  None of it is personal, but this CEO is trying to drive up revenue at the expense of all passengers who do not book suites.  Space is being taken away from non-suite cruisers and surcharges are being put on drink packages for those who are below suite level.  It's part of Celebrity's move to focus on the higher revenue suite passengers.  We booked latest cruise before the drinks surcharge went into effect.  Looking forward to Aqua Class and Blu on a relaxing Caribbean itinerary.  

At this point, we'll take a wait and see attitude with Celebrity after our next one. If this same trend hits Azamara, it could be a bit spoiled as well.  If that's where the suites survey is going, I can see why many are a bit nervous.  There was a good thing going on Celebrity, but the CEO is going in a different direction.  I hope this strategy results in $losses$ for Celebrity and that she leaves Azamara along.   Of course, they can raise revenue short term, but the risk is losing a good portion of the customer base.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hubofhockey said:

We have another scheduled on Celebrity, but I would share these concerns.  None of it is personal, but this CEO is trying to drive up revenue at the expense of all passengers who do not book suites.  Space is being taken away from non-suite cruisers and surcharges are being put on drink packages for those who are below suite level.  It's part of Celebrity's move to focus on the higher revenue suite passengers.  We booked latest cruise before the drinks surcharge went into effect.  Looking forward to Aqua Class and Blu on a relaxing Caribbean itinerary.  

At this point, we'll take a wait and see attitude with Celebrity after our next one. If this same trend hits Azamara, it could be a bit spoiled as well.  If that's where the suites survey is going, I can see why many are a bit nervous.  There was a good thing going on Celebrity, but the CEO is going in a different direction.  I hope this strategy results in $losses$ for Celebrity and that she leaves Azamara along.   Of course, they can raise revenue short term, but the risk is losing a good portion of the customer base.

One of my main concerns on Celebrity has been that not only is space being used exclusively for suite guests at the expense of others, but that they cream off the best servers.  Stay in the suite areas and you are fawned over.  Go to another part of the ship and too often I’ve noticed a very erratic service delivery.  Not something I’d ever want to see on Azamara.  Thankfully the ships are small enough.  Sometimes I feel there are too many places crew can “hide” on the larger X ships.  

Phil

• Like 1

I think the "Celebrity Revolution" of the dumping on passengers below suite level won't have the same impact on M class.  The Constellation is one of my favorite ships and would hate to see it impacted for Aqua.  Why do I think they are adding more Aqua cabins (which could cause crowding in Blu)?  Hope I'm wrong on this.  Again, why would I pay more to be in a Celebrity suite than I would for a veranda cabin on a more premium line?  

The tough thing here is that she seems smart and know that there is a customer base (people with cash in their 30s and 40s) that will support her vision.  I could see her eliminating complimentary drinks package for below suites on Azamara and maybe taking away a public area for a suites restaurant.  This would be consistent with what she is doing.  I feel the drinks surcharge is more realistic.  If the explanation and delivery is consistent with what happened on Celebrity, they will explain that the drinks surcharge is still a better deal than what you'd get on Oceania.  With Celebrity, they compared it with NCL (not a comparable line in my world).

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Sorry, I was not clear in my post, what is new is that the mass hosting is involving more junior but equally interesting officers e.g. second officers from the bridge, onboard revenue manager, financial controller etc.

That’s good - it gives them experience with passengers, and it’s interesting to find out what they do.

12 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Oh and don't talk about the loud music that pervades all around Celebrity ships these days.  It's their interpretation of "Modern Luxury" that I just don't get at all.

Phil

Thank goodness, I thought it was only me being grumpy 😏

Don’t get this love of Millennials, yes many have cash (but many don’t) but usually have time issues and are looking to experience as much as possible in as short a time as possible.

On the other hand we have the means and the time to enjoy cruises but feel we are being forgotten.

7 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Thank goodness, I thought it was only me being grumpy 😏

Don’t get this love of Millennials, yes many have cash (but many don’t) but usually have time issues and are looking to experience as much as possible in as short a time as possible.

On the other hand we have the means and the time to enjoy cruises but feel we are being forgotten.

Oh I am grumpy! Lol. It’s not just the loudness of the music around the ship, it’s the situations that it’s used and that it is everywhere. Not always loud, but just there.  

I’ve posted this before, but it’s a classic example. Pool deck on a port day on Celebrity Reflection.  It’s ridiculous. If I wanted to listen to loud music like that I have headphones. 

Phil

3 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Oh I am grumpy! Lol. It’s not just the loudness of the music around the ship, it’s the situations that it’s used and that it is everywhere. Not always loud, but just there.  

I’ve posted this before, but it’s a classic example. Pool deck on a port day on Celebrity Reflection.  It’s ridiculous. If I wanted to listen to loud music like that I have headphones. 

Phil

We found the music changed area to area so if you were sat in the wrong spot there was different music in each ear☹️
We’ve not seen anything about the new Edge ships that appeal to us, in fact I’d rather cruise on Marella than suffer the latest incarnation of Celebrity.

8 hours ago, uktog said:

Sorry, I was not clear in my post, what is new is that the mass hosting is involving more junior but equally interesting officers e.g. second officers from the bridge, onboard revenue manager, financial controller etc.

I think it is also a very good idea.

Unfortunately, on one of our recent back to backs on Pursuit, there were a significant number of no-shows.

Unsurprisingly, this was distressing to the staff.

I hope that this was a rare occurrence and the new approach becomes an Azamara tradition.

• Like 1