Carbon offsets

nordski

It is fairly easy to personally buy carbon offsets for flights, as many airlines provide the opportunity to do so.

But for cruises it doesn’t appear that companies are providing that option. I do recognize that, as a corporate body, RCI has donated money to at least one company to offset CO2 creation.

Has anyone researched and bought carbon offsets for a cruise? As a result do you have any recommendations?

By the way, I’m not inviting a discussion  concerning the principle of carbon offsets. I think that should be in a different forum. I also recognize that buying offsets may be rather weak tea as an approach to addressing the issue.

I’m just interested if others have discovered programmes that seem to be well run and have an impact.

Thanks

In one of my past lives I taught ecotourism to freshmen, so am qualified to answer but in my role with AZ it would be similar to recommending one TA over another. 

So I say do an online search of the best and you’ll find great organizations to choose from. Some may operate in your own part of the world. 

Btw, thank you.

Appreciate your reply and the necessary neutrality. 

I have some much younger and very bright neighbours who are active in these issues and programmes.

I may challenge them to make some recommendations. 

Since air lines are already providing various means to buy offsets, perhaps at some point cruise lines will begin to offer the same option.

Some posters seem to be indicating that they choose not to make any effort to reduce their own carbon footprint whether at home or away.  Perhaps they do not believe the world is in trouble.  Nordski has remained remarkably calm and collected despite some provocation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Some posters seem to be indicating that they choose not to make any effort to reduce their own carbon footprint whether at home or away.  Perhaps they do not believe the world is in trouble.  Nordski has remained remarkably calm and collected despite some provocation.

No, that is not what I said (if you are referring to me in your post). I said nothing about what I do at home. It's that trying to reduce my carbon footprint on holiday where I fly long distances and take the trip on a cruise ship?  Well, I've got no chance.  And I'm kidding myself if I believe I have. Best to stay at home.

And once again, if you are referring to me in your provocation comment, seeing as I was the first to answer, I'm not trying to provoke. Just saying it as I see it. 

Phil 

• Like 3

I think the discussion seems to be moving in the direction as to whether “any effort” (thanks to Mrs. Miggins for her reply) has “no chance” of meaningful impact (thanks to Phil for his reply).

I already have conceded that carbon offsets may be “weak tea”, but sometimes that is the best we can do. The issue to me is whether they are pointless. I also concede that I hadn’t really thought much about the issue until confronted by some young people in our lives.

First, adding a cost to our activities serves to help concentrate our mind on this issue in order to make better choices. For example, I still haven’t been able to accurately assess the relative environmental impact of sailing on smaller but older ships vs the more modern behemoths. I think the former may be a better choice. Does where you are sailing lessen or increase impact?

Secondly, are some Offset programmes more beneficial than others? This is a question which I hope some people can help answer.

Thirdly, should we focus on cruise lines that are more quickly adapting to using LNG, LBG, and solar power? Will offset programmes reflect that divergence?

Fourthly, I am not so naive as to think that individual cruisers have  anywhere near as much impact as corporate policies. But does the interest in offsets impel corporations to act more quickly if they see that interest rising and a potential impact upon consumer choice?

I only make this detailed  reply because there is, as Phil points out, endless opportunity for hypocrisy in our lives and we should try to avoid it.

On the other hand, I hope there is also an opportunity for pragmatism and that is the approach I am attempting to follow. Research may help decide if that avenue is even open.

Nordski:

It is overwhelming to try to distinguish which organizations are ethical and effective. 

I donate instead to a wildlife rehabilitation and ocean research center in Alaska. The wildlife and oceans are being impacted right now and this is how I set my priority. I don't think that it has to be an 'offset' organization per se to be impactful

Perhaps you can find an Arctic research group that could either use a donation or recommend an organization.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately neither Azamara or sail assisted ship (Windstar etc) made this report card but it certainly is eye opening for the other lines.

Friends of the Earth is an organization I have not heard of before so take it with a grain of salt.

https://foe.org/cruise-report-card/

• Thanks 1

Phil, not only you, but it was just the way the post was written - I know you and I realised that you did not mean the sentiments in a general way.  We are all hypocritical to some point, but I believe that it is better to do something to help rather than dismiss those who want to try.  I can't recall the exact wording. apart from the last line, but I see the post has now been removed (not my doing).  

Pressure from the paying public has certainly made the cruise industry pay more attention.  On our recent Saga cruise, on a new ship, the Captain made great play of the 'Green' credentials of ship.  In addition small things do help I think, for example in each cabin we were given refillable water bottles, the toiletries were in large bottles etc etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNgardens said:

Nordski:

It is overwhelming to try to distinguish which organizations are ethical and effective. 

I donate instead to a wildlife rehabilitation and ocean research center in Alaska. The wildlife and oceans are being impacted right now and this is how I set my priority. I don't think that it has to be an 'offset' organization per se to be impactful

Perhaps you can find an Arctic research group that could either use a donation or recommend an organization.

Good points.

Perhaps best to care for our own backyard.

1 hour ago, MNgardens said:

Unfortunately neither Azamara or sail assisted ship (Windstar etc) made this report card but it certainly is eye opening for the other lines.

Friends of the Earth is an organization I have not heard of before so take it with a grain of salt.

https://foe.org/cruise-report-card/

That was a link I hadn't discovered. Thanks

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Phil, not only you, but it was just the way the post was written - I know you and I realised that you did not mean the sentiments in a general way.  We are all hypocritical to some point, but I believe that it is better to do something to help rather than dismiss those who want to try.  I can't recall the exact wording. apart from the last line, but I see the post has now been removed (not my doing).  

Pressure from the paying public has certainly made the cruise industry pay more attention.  On our recent Saga cruise, on a new ship, the Captain made great play of the 'Green' credentials of ship.  In addition small things do help I think, for example in each cabin we were given refillable water bottles, the toiletries were in large bottles etc etc.  

Pam, I guess what I'm saying is that whilst I appreciate the concerns and certainly make the effort at home, I'm resigned to the fact that going on a cruise, no matter what I do is not going to be the best for the environment. I trust what Azamara do to minimise pollution and the job the Environmental Officer does, but there is only very minimal impact that can be made that isn't already being done.  Hypocrisy does indeed rule here. 

Phil 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Agreed Phil, but I also think that most of us do realise the harm the cruising industry can do to the environment and pressure on cruise companies to improve must be a good thing and will prove popular with their clients.

I think amongst younger generations, steps taken may prove especially popular.

Carbon offsets my be helpful to protecting our environment, if the amount an individual pays to offset his/her carbon footprint is actually used for that purpose by the entity receiving the money.    I can think of many examples in my country, where the money collected for companies to be allowed to have a larger footprint, never goes to helping the environment.    If I/ we are to pay an offset, then the recipient should be accountable for how the money was used to help the environment .    

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 11:35 PM, retird said:

Carbon offsets my be helpful to protecting our environment, if the amount an individual pays to offset his/her carbon footprint is actually used for that purpose by the entity receiving the money.    I can think of many examples in my country, where the money collected for companies to be allowed to have a larger footprint, never goes to helping the environment.    If I/ we are to pay an offset, then the recipient should be accountable for how the money was used to help the environment .    

Thanks for your comment.

I share your country and province. I do not know of "many" examples of money collected from corporations  not going to help the environment but I can certainly believe it happens.

MNgardens supported a position that is attractive to me. Since carbon offsets are a relatively new concern, perhaps it's best to donate the money to organizations that already have played a long term role in supporting environmental concerns.

In Canada, some of these organizations have already been studied as to their efficiency in delivering funds to the front lines as opposed to spending on administration and advertising.

In my view, that is very valuable information.

• Like 2

As stated above, I am considering donating to traditional Canadian environmental groups to help offset our flights and cruises.

In terms of carbon offsets themselves, I am impressed with Less Emissions (let’s just ignore the grammar problem). It is a branch of Bullfrog Power which has been operating for some time in Canada and has a high rating for the quality of its green activities.

I also like that Less admits that carbon offsets are the least useful form of addressing the problem of carbon use, and it suggests other approaches that have a larger impact in improving our lifestyle.

However, I don’t see Less emphasizing that pressure on Corporations to amend their ways would actually have the greatest impact.

Below is a link to their method of determining carbon offsets for air travel.

I am working out how to determine carbon offsets for cruising,

Hope this helps Canadian members of this forum. I am certain that there are other programmes that deserve consideration.

https://www.less.ca/en-ca/flights.cfm

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps particularly relevant for Canadians, this article was printed in today’s Globe & Mail.

The writer, a recent PhD grad in Poli Sci (UBC),  has an interest in democratic systems.

In this article he considers how we might approach developing issues in tourism.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/life/travel/article-can-you-satiate-your-travel-bug-while-minimizing-your-impact-on-the/