Live from the Sky Princess Med Inaugural

dides

It looks as if everything on the crown grill menu has remained the same except the desserts? If that is the case, I am truly going to miss having my Molten Dutch Chocolate Fudge Obsession. 

Thanks again for taking your time to share your trip with us, I have thoroughly enjoyed following along!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Orangefan said:

I have a friend who orders the banana split in the MDR at least once a cruise.  Ask the  waiter  when you are ordering to order the banana split off the children's menu. Choose your ice cream and toppings.

Sali

Thanks!  We'll try this next time, although the ice cream selection in the MDR is quite limited.  The wider selection (of both flavors and toppings) and creaminess of gelato is why we asked about it at Gelato on the Royal and were very happy they were able to oblige us.  We're hoping we can do the same at Gelato on the Enchanted next year, but we'll also try it in the MDR some time.  😁

@dides  Thanks for the Crown Grill menu pics!  The change in dessert options is odd, but still good to see the Maine lobster and filet mignon still on the menu.  Can you tell we like our desserts?  😋

56 minutes ago, #1Nanna said:

It looks as if everything on the crown grill menu has remained the same except the desserts? If that is the case, I am truly going to miss having my Molten Dutch Chocolate Fudge Obsession. 

Thanks again for taking your time to share your trip with us, I have thoroughly enjoyed following along!

Something else changed & seems to have change back. The scallops used to be grilled. The last time we went to the CG, the scallops were a mushy patty (similar to the shrimp patty for embarkation lunch, only ground up). I love scallops, but one bite of that mushy thing was enough.

Glad to see they went back to "seared".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, #1Nanna said:

I went to the CG 3 times during my current Crown cruise.

I am so tired of the old desserts. 🙄

These new ones don’t look much better. 😳

4 hours ago, h-sar said:

Last winter, on the Regal in the Caribbean, our personalizer said 7:15, but on board it was 7:45. Based on posts from other people, this seemed to be the norm.

h-sar, Thanks for your input - last few cruises we have had club class dining but my DH vaguely remembers the dining times posted in the personalizer were different once on the ship. I'm sure we won't go hungry 🤣

29 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

These new ones don’t look much better. 😳

That Warm Chocolate Mousse Trifle looks interesting to me.  But I am a choco-holic!!  I gather no new desserts in CG on Crown.  Not sure we will go this time - might just order a steak in the DR for the up-charge.  Have you tried that?

2 minutes ago, smelmel said:

h-sar, Thanks for your input - last few cruises we have had club class dining but my DH vaguely remembers the dining times posted in the personalizer were different once on the ship. I'm sure we won't go hungry 🤣

Posted dining times pre cruise and actual onboard times always seem to be off by 30 minutes or so and have been for a long time.

2 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

That Warm Chocolate Mousse Trifle looks interesting to me.  But I am a choco-holic!!  I gather no new desserts in CG on Crown.  Not sure we will go this time - might just order a steak in the DR for the up-charge.  Have you tried that?

Not yet.

For dessert in the CG now I just order vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jnsplace1 said:

He seems to say that they do a really good job of public spaces on the Sky.

I heard that, too.  I took it to mean the the public spaces are more modern than other ships' spaces, and more open -- as opposed to enclosed.  (I didn't think he meant that there are many public spaces.)

After seeing his video, I agree it's more modern than Royal, etc.  For me, it's TOO modern, but it is what it is.  I think I can handle it!  🙂

5 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

The library doesn't produce any revenue. Just like a promenade deck that goes all the way around the ship. It's all about the $$$$.

I guess applies to what was posted about the smaller Retreat Pool area, i.e., that when it was reduced more space was added to Sanctuary.  I believe Sanctuary is not covered in the cruise cost, so again ... "It's all about the $$$$", as you said.

1 hour ago, VersaliusPrimus said:

Thanks!  We'll try this next time, although the ice cream selection in the MDR is quite limited.  The wider selection (of both flavors and toppings) and creaminess of gelato is why we asked about it at Gelato on the Royal and were very happy they were able to oblige us.  We're hoping we can do the same at Gelato on the Enchanted next year, but we'll also try it in the MDR some time.  😁

@dides  Thanks for the Crown Grill menu pics!  The change in dessert options is odd, but still good to see the Maine lobster and filet mignon still on the menu.  Can you tell we like our desserts?  😋

Different menu below at Gelato for a sea day. Sorry grabbed on the fly so 2nd page  bit blurry. Asked the Gelato man about a banana split option and he said no they don't do one. 

20191026_203239.thumb.jpg.fcd88ebab8b65c19698b745564d47103.jpg

20191026_203248.thumb.jpg.205be0fc55ca8c810cf44c7ff0c2556a.jpg

Sandra and Chris

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dides said:

Different menu below at Gelato for a sea day. Sorry grabbed on the fly so 2nd page  bit blurry. Asked the Gelato man about a banana split option and he said no they don't do one. 

20191026_203239.thumb.jpg.fcd88ebab8b65c19698b745564d47103.jpg

20191026_203248.thumb.jpg.205be0fc55ca8c810cf44c7ff0c2556a.jpg

Sandra and Chris

I cannot believe the information you have given us! Believe me we appreciate it but hope you two are enjoying your vacation 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dides said:

There are a lot of loungers outside the Sanctuary dotted around the cabanas on deck 18 - so they have effectively split the space of the old retreat pool over 2 decks

20191020_111323.thumb.jpg.6fb219989638e1919c50099171d3d992.jpg

Sandra and Chris

This picture, is it the retreat pool area at pool level, or on the deck above?  It looks like on the deck plans, there isnt' room for the cabanas on the pool deck itself, so it this on the deck above?

Recap of day 7

It's the final day of the cruise. Boo. We had a relaxing sea day starting with a room service breakfast. We also got our passports handed over by our steward. Our laundry was delivered the night before all nicely pressed - that took under 36 hours

It took us 3 attempts to get an elevator down to the Piazza - so busy! Doesn't help that only 3 of the 4 forward elevators have been operational.

We really enjoyed CD Alexander's pop up music quiz - he played 5 tracks on a tablet from different eras and people holding Stanley the bear had to name the artist or track to win a prize.

Next we spent a couple of hours on the Lido drinking  cocktails and trying to order some burgers on OceanNow. The queue at the grill was about 12 deep so we thought it the best way to get an Ernesto. It took over half an hour but the process worked. It didn't look that impressice and wasn't that different in taste to their standard cheeseburger.

20191026_140939.thumb.jpg.bbcc2a932438f4086b13f84e7e32c9db.jpg

We were pretty tired so went for a nap for the rest of the afternoon.

On the way to dinner we spotted some different inaugural season t-shirts on a rack in the shopping area and Chris bought the blue one.

Dinner was at Crown Grill and I was soon wishing we hadn't had that burger! 

Chris ordered the Black and Blue soup but without any blue cheese lol

I had the tiger shrimp:

20191026_175717.thumb.jpg.87fc2f671a3c827dfbde07e1c122208a.jpg

Rather too bland  for my tastes.

We both went for the filet mignon as usual and it was delicious!

20191026_181958.thumb.jpg.aa73f0471cc3783d6f3d27ae3c37a706.jpg

We both went for the chocolate options for dessert - I had the trifle Chocolate Journey and Chris had the Triple choc dessert.

20191026_185608.thumb.jpg.ca61b52e5edc79273306cd15048c161b.jpg

20191026_185619.thumb.jpg.60a5a6d2148878cda12a5c448e1d64b4.jpg

My trifle was in in incredibly rich with warm sauce and ice cream - great but I could only manage half. Chris loved his dessert - it looked like something from the Avengers with the A on top.

I went to check in at the internet cafe and print off our boarding passes then we watched a music quiz in Princess Live! for the final time this cruise. We then came back to pack and relax with a movie

Oh and Chris left the balcony door open and we had a little bird come into the lounge area for 5 minutes . He managed to chase it off luckily!

So tomorrow we have a late cruise transfer to the airport for a flight back to London. We have one week back at work and then are off on another cruise - an inaugural TA to NYC with 9 days of sea days. A different line so I am leaving the cruisecritic duties to other folks 🙂

Sorry if we didn't get you a reply or picture on everything but we had a darned good try.   We definitely want to come back on Sky Princess so look after her for us 🙂

Sandra and Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

This picture, is it the retreat pool area at pool level, or on the deck above?  It looks like on the deck plans, there isnt' room for the cabanas on the pool deck itself, so it this on the deck above?

Its deck 18 outside the Sanctuary and above the retreat pool

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dides said:

Recap of day 7

It's the final day of the cruise. Boo. We had a relaxing sea day starting with a room service breakfast. We also got our passports handed over by our steward. Our laundry was delivered the night before all nicely pressed - that took under 36 hours

It took us 3 attempts to get an elevator down to the Piazza - so busy! Doesn't help that only 3 of the 4 forward elevators have been operational.

We really enjoyed CD Alexander's pop up music quiz - he played 5 tracks on a tablet from different eras and people holding Stanley the bear had to name the artist or track to win a prize.

Next we spent a couple of hours on the Lido drinking  cocktails and trying to order some burgers on OceanNow. The queue at the grill was about 12 deep so we thought it the best way to get an Ernesto. It took over half an hour but the process worked. It didn't look that impressice and wasn't that different in taste to their standard cheeseburger.

20191026_140939.thumb.jpg.bbcc2a932438f4086b13f84e7e32c9db.jpg

We were pretty tired so went for a nap for the rest of the afternoon.

On the way to dinner we spotted some different inaugural season t-shirts on a rack in the shopping area and Chris bought the blue one.

Dinner was at Crown Grill and I was soon wishing we hadn't had that burger! 

Chris ordered the Black and Blue soup but without any blue cheese lol

I had the tiger shrimp:

20191026_175717.thumb.jpg.87fc2f671a3c827dfbde07e1c122208a.jpg

Rather too bland  for my tastes.

We both went for the filet mignon as usual and it was delicious!

20191026_181958.thumb.jpg.aa73f0471cc3783d6f3d27ae3c37a706.jpg

We both went for the chocolate options for dessert - I had the trifle Chocolate Journey and Chris had the Triple choc dessert.

20191026_185608.thumb.jpg.ca61b52e5edc79273306cd15048c161b.jpg

20191026_185619.thumb.jpg.60a5a6d2148878cda12a5c448e1d64b4.jpg

My trifle was in in incredibly rich with warm sauce and ice cream - great but I could only manage half. Chris loved his dessert - it looked like something from the Avengers with the A on top.

I went to check in at the internet cafe and print off our boarding passes then we watched a music quiz in Princess Live! for the final time this cruise. We then came back to pack and relax with a movie

Oh and Chris left the balcony door open and we had a little bird come into the lounge area for 5 minutes . He managed to chase it off luckily!

So tomorrow we have a late cruise transfer to the airport for a flight back to London. We have one week back at work and then are off on another cruise - an inaugural TA to NYC with 9 days of sea days. A different line so I am leaving the cruisecritic duties to other folks 🙂

Sorry if we didn't get you a reply or picture on everything but we had a darned good try.   We definitely want to come back on Sky Princess so look after her for us 🙂

Sandra and Chris

Thank you so much safe travels home!! 🙂

On 10/25/2019 at 3:23 PM, Crown Cruiser said:

Sandra and Chris,

has there been any mention of a godmother for Sky Princess?

Gail

Kerry Ann Wright, a 2nd officer at Princess, was hand picked by Jan Schwartz to be the Madrina.

6 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

It just seems to me that if you want to sit outside now, Princess is directing you towards two areas only - those around the pool area(same deck and one deck up) or your balcony.  And the way of the future in all cruise lines seems to be going to all veranda ships.  With Princess the first to go was the oceanview cabins!  

Pooh

Sadly, I have to agree with you.

1 hour ago, argenta01 said:

Kerry Ann Wright, a 2nd officer at Princess, was hand picked by Jan Schwartz to be the Madrina.

I read ...

Although the madrina will cut the cord and smash a Champagne bottle against the ship, she is a different person from the ship's official godmother, who will name it and smash another bottle of Champagne prior to its maiden voyage, when the ship is completely finished and in the possession of the cruise line.

Sky Princess' float-out was led by godmother Kerry Ann Wright (2nd officer for Princess Cruises) nominated as Madrina by her fellow crew and is expected to be christened at Port Everglades once it repositions to Fort Lauderdale, USA

Edited by that