Gratuity Charge on Wine Package???

teacherman

We are doing a 22 night cruise.  I looked on my reservation to purchase a wine package.  It said the "service charge" was included in the cost of the package.  Is it the same way if you buy it on board?  Normally I would wait until I was there to make sure they had the wines available shown on the internet.  But service charge for 22 nights of wine could be a sizable fee.  Is it the same charge either way?

Also, my account shows that I am eligible to be 3 star Mariner in 4 more sail days.  So, will I be able to use any "perks" available to 3 star after my 4th night of the cruise, or will I have to wait until the following cruise?  Any information is welcome.  Thank you.

Your ‘perks’ don’t go into effect until next cruise unless it is a world cruise, grand voyage or sometimes collectors cruise.  As for the gratiuties being included in wine packages purchased prior to cruise, I’m not sure.  We have always bought on board and being 4* gotten the reduced price but pay gratuities  on entire cost of package.  

Edited by Gigi1977
Spelling!

For your wine package purchase - the price is the same whether you buy it pre-cruise or on board.

the difference is pre-cruise (ordering on line) it includes the service charge.

On board, the charge is cheaper but then the service charge is added so it works out to the same amount of money either way.

I normally wait until on board to confirm the wines available on the cruise and give my wine steward the credit.

Either way the price is the same.

37 minutes ago, teacherman said:

But service charge for 22 nights of wine could be a sizable fee.

The length of the cruise doesn't matter, it's simply 15% of the package price.

Edited by catl331

Whatever beverage package or individual bottles you buy online, the 15% SC is included.  If you buy it onboard, the price is without the 15%, but is is added in during the sale, so the price ends up being the same no matter when you buy it.   Your 3-star Mariner status doesn't kick in until your next cruise.   That would be an accounting nightmare between Seattle and the ship's accounting office.

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I like to wait until onboard and get it through my wine steward - that way he/she gets credit for the sale and they really do seem to appreciate it.

Im curious what sort of credit they get?  I’m pretty sure the gratuity gets divided between a lot of people so do they get a bonus?

35 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

Im curious what sort of credit they get?  I’m pretty sure the gratuity gets divided between a lot of people so do they get a bonus?

I've been told it is more like "brownie" points towards a good performance review at contract end or a bit of time off while in port instead of staying on board for bar duty.

4 hours ago, Riversedge said:

I have never inquired about what they get, but have been told that they really appreciate me waiting to purchase from them onboard at the dining table.