Passport card

tiffy0428

Just now, tiffy0428 said:

Has anyone traveled with a passport card, and if so did you also need to bring your birth certificate??

Depending on what sort of trip you're asking about, if you use a passport card, you don't need your birth certificate.

Just be aware, should you need to fly back to the US from a foreign city, a passport card won't work.

• Like 1

We've used our passport cards several times.  No BC required - it is essentially a "Passport Lite".  Anywhere in the WHTI realm it will be accepted for entry by motor vehicle, waterborne transportation (including the "International Ferry - a rowboat at Boquillos MX) and when crossing in person (foot traffic).

As pointed out, it wouldn't be acceptable to fly with, with presenting the card at an American Consulate with a genuine emergency would allow you to get an expedited waiver in just hours.

• Like 4

I usually travel with both my passport and passport card.  I keep the passport in the safe and the passport card in my wallet for when I'm off the ship, just to be safe!  If I remember, I'll put my birth certificate in a completely separate bag - again, just to be safe, in case the worst happens - gives me three different ways to get on the ship!

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I've used my EDL for cruising which is similar to the passport card and serves the same purpose, no BC required.

You are in one of the 5 states that has the EDL.... 

So many states are confusing that with the new REAL ID which you still have to bring a birth certificate.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mscinmia said:

You are in one of the 5 states that has the EDL.... 

So many states are confusing that with the new REAL ID which you still have to bring a birth certificate.

I don't think it's the states that are confusing it but the people who are getting them. I have read of at least one passenger who thought his REAL ID license was sufficient to prove citizenship but he was denied boarding until someone at home faxed his birth certificate to the port.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tiffy0428 said:

Has anyone traveled with a passport card, and if so did you also need to bring your birth certificate??

Thousands of people travel with it weekly.  It is a passport, for cruises out of USA and land based boarders of Mexico and Canada.  It is accepted in all but two Caribbean Islands as a form of ID.  When traveling with a passport, you do not need a BC.  Plus the added benefit is if you are ever International, and you book is stolen, and you have this in your wallet, it would be extremely easy to get a replacement book since you already have a form of a passport to show, that they can verify your identity fast with.  Same thing in the even of an emergency on a cruise. 

• Like 1