Another Question About Tours: Le Havre to Paris

pamrose228

Going on the NCL Pearl in April with be in Le Harve on VE day 5/8 from 6:30 am to 7 pm.

Is it possible to do some some Paris in this day?

Any suggestions for a reliable tour guide, trying to get a van together of 12 or so other pax.   With a 5 hour drive back and fourth that will give us approx      5 hours plus to tour.

Thanks in advance.

Pam

I love to rent cars in ports and have done so all over the world.  In fact, we've got one reserved for next October in Le Havre.  But, I'm not sure I would attempt Paris on this itinerary.  First, to my knowledge, the earliest any of the rental car agencies open is 8:00, which would put you close to 8:30 getting on the road.  That gets you into Paris around 11:00 AM, if it takes 2 1/2 hours as you say.  The rental car agency closes at 6:30, which is also your "all aboard" time.  I'd be heading back from Paris no later than 3:00 PM to give yourself some pad in case of traffic or a flat tire or some other problem.  That leaves you with only 4 hours in Paris.  So, no time to eat and very little time to even stop and tour a site.  I did Paris once in 6 hours, which gave me enough time to walk through Notre Dame, walk by the Louvre, eat lunch, and climb the Eiffel Tower.  You'll have to decide if 4 hours is worth the 5 hours of driving.

If Le Havre is the last port before the end of the cruise, it may be worth arranging to leave the ship there and fly home from Paris. Many people do this, but you need to check that the cruise line is okay with it.

• Thanks 1

Have you done the DDay beaches? That will be well worth the time if you have not...... If you air is not booked, you might take the chunnel from England to Paris before or after your trip and do Paris then......otherwise the train might be a quicker option for a few hours in Paris.   ENJOY!

On 1/14/2019 at 6:00 AM, Bob++ said:

If Le Havre is the last port before the end of the cruise, it may be worth arranging to leave the ship there and fly home from Paris. Many people do this, but you need to check that the cruise line is okay with it.

Two ports after Le havre, Belgium and Amsterdan.

I vote for making Tilbury an over night.  West End shows, etc. It the port next to Le havre

Two cautions , t's a long way your 2 to 3 hours is if all goes well, very little time to see much .Traffic can be heavy on the routes into Paris, so to give yourself enough time to return to the ship, you will reduce sightseeing time. Secondly VE day in France is a holiday so many locations will not open as normal, routes could be much busier than usual and this could disrupt the day.

9 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Two cautions , t's a long way your 2 to 3 hours is if all goes well, very little time to see much .Traffic can be heavy on the routes into Paris, so to give yourself enough time to return to the ship, you will reduce sightseeing time. Secondly VE day in France is a holiday so many locations will not open as normal, routes could be much busier than usual and this could disrupt the day.

Victory in Europe Day is celebrated all over Europe. In France, it is a day of celebration and remembrance with church services, ceremonies and parades. French flags fly from the tops of poles everywhere and the air force thunders overhead in dramatic flyovers. Wreaths are laid during the ceremonies at monument aux morts in each village, town and city.

Being a national holiday, schools, post offices, banks, businesses, shops and many restaurants are closed. The streets are full of people attending parades and the red, white and blue of the French flag is everywhere.

https://publicholidays.fr/victory-day/

Edited by Bob++
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:35 AM, Bob++ said:

Victory in Europe Day is celebrated all over Europe. In France, it is a day of celebration and remembrance with church services, ceremonies and parades. French flags fly from the tops of poles everywhere and the air force thunders overhead in dramatic flyovers. Wreaths are laid during the ceremonies at monument aux morts in each village, town and city.

Being a national holiday, schools, post offices, banks, businesses, shops and many restaurants are closed. The streets are full of people attending parades and the red, white and blue of the French flag is everywhere.

https://publicholidays.fr/victory-day/

Thanks for posting this. I just realized the Getaway is docked in Le Havre that same day as the Pearl. Guess I'll have to rethink my shopping day. It will be fun to join the celebration though!

If the shops and restaurants etc closer to Le Havre may be closed, maybe the bus trip with lunch cruise on the Seine is not such a bad idea!  Though it certainly would be a tease to see such a tiny glimpse of the city.

I personally would not take a chance of missing my ship's departure with such a long drive on my own, too many things could go wrong.  I feel safer taking a ship tour when it's a location so far from the port.  I've seen people left standing on the pier.... 

4 hours ago, snowcamper said:

If the shops and restaurants etc closer to Le Havre may be closed, maybe the bus trip with lunch cruise on the Seine is not such a bad idea!  Though it certainly would be a tease to see such a tiny glimpse of the city.

I personally would not take a chance of missing my ship's departure with such a long drive on my own, too many things could go wrong.  I feel safer taking a ship tour when it's a location so far from the port.  I've seen people left standing on the pier.... 

The seine cruise was a bit of a tease but we saw all the main sites around the city, then the River tour and an excellent lunch with multiple bottles of wine. It was a fun day.

I just booked my cruise on the new Mardi Gras and one of the ports will be Le Havre I looked at private tours from the port to Paris and one stood out since you will be leaving before I will you could tell me about your experience. The name of the Co. 

DRIVER GUIDE FRANCE PRIVATE TOURS 

When we were in Le Havre in 2017, we were there on Bastille Day, so another holiday for the country. We talked with some people at dinner who went to Paris for the day and they were disappointed. It was a lot to tackle in the one day. A lot of time spent traveling for sure.

We did the Overlord tours to Omaha Beach and Bayeux ourselves, as that was a bucket list trip for me! It was an amazing day, great tour, great guide, etc... Just loved the whole day. And it was relaxing, not rushed. We could have stayed out just a little longer, but our guide was concerned about traffic because of the holiday. He told us a lot of people head towards the coast area for the holiday too. But it was a great tour!

When we rented a car in Le Havre we ran into an unexpected farmers’s protest shortly after leaving the city.  Several dozen tractors and farms vehicles had arranged themselves bumper to bumper in all the freeway lanes, making a blockade.  They were travelling at tractor speed.

We exited at the next opportunity and fell back on Plan B, lunch in Caen and a drive back along the coast on secondary roads - one gorgeous old village after another all the way to le Havre ( pronounced Le Av).

Have a Plan B if you try your excursion.

• 8 months later...

We will be in Le Havre for the day (as so many other posts have mentioned) - last time there we decided to NOT take the LONG trek into Paris - this time we have decided that is what we really want to do - to at least see Paris.

YES - we know that most of the day will be spent traveling to and from (so we DON"T want to take a bus - but want to hire our own guide)

Yes We know that will cost $$

All of the posts that I have been able to find on this subject either recommend ToursbyLocals (which we have used before - they don't have anyone listed to take us from Le Havre to and from Paris) or other posts recommend taking the cruise-line bus (NCL - don't see one offered when we are there (April 2020) - Or most posts recommend that we spend more than just one day there....  We are two "senior citizens" can't do all that much walking anyway - so don't really need to see ALL THAT much of Paris  

Has anyone used Private Tours-Paris ? - Or can ANYONE recommend a Private Tour guide for this ? 

THANK YOU   😀

On 1/19/2019 at 10:02 PM, Zippeedee said:

I did an NCL excursion last year to Paris from Le Havre. We had time for a tour around the city and an excellent lunch cruise on the Seine. It was a great day and we didn't have to worry about getting back in time at the end of the day.

We are on the NCL Star next May (2020) as of now - they aren't offering any kind of a shore excursion to Paris.  Was you experience that they posted availability of that excursion closer to sail date ?

How much time did you get to actually spend in Paris - 

This sounds like what we REALLY want to do !

Thanks 

Some of our excursions weren’t posted until a month or so before we cruised.  This one did sell out so watch for it.  We had about an hour or so tour on the bus, then the cruise on the Seine with a wonderful lunch, the about a half hour to walk around the area near the boats. No real free time to explore the city or shop, but a great intro to Paris and all of the highlights. I would do it again!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 10:02 PM, Zippeedee said:

I did an NCL excursion last year to Paris from Le Havre. We had time for a tour around the city and an excellent lunch cruise on the Seine. It was a great day and we didn't have to worry about getting back in time at the end of the day.

Which of the NCL excursions to Paris did you take ? - It looks there is one that is called "Paris on your Own" - and then another one the includes a 2-hour bus trip around the town - a recent review of that last one (which includes the bus trip around town)

indicated she was VERY disappointed about the location that the bus "dropped them off" for passengers to begin their tour "on their own" - I guess it was out in the middle of no-where 

Did you have such an experience ? 

We hope to be able to walk from where the bus trip drops us off - and visit the Eiffel Tower 

THANKS ! 

Just now, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Which of the NCL excursions to Paris did you take ? - It looks there is one that is called "Paris on your Own" - and then another one the includes a 2-hour bus trip around the town - a recent review of that last one (which includes the bus trip around town)

indicated she was VERY disappointed about the location that the bus "dropped them off" for passengers to begin their tour "on their own" - I guess it was out in the middle of no-where 

Did you have such an experience ? 

We hope to be able to walk from where the bus trip drops us off - and visit the Eiffel Tower 

THANKS ! 

Mine included lunch on a river boat on the Seine. We had about an hour bus tour when we first arrived in Paris, then boarded the boats. The lunch was multi-course and included unlimited red and white wine. We went up to Notre Dame and down to the model for the statue of liberty. It was a good 2 1/2 - 3 hours. We then had about 20 minutes to walk around the bus parking area along the river. There were vendors set up there with the usual souvenir stuff. There was really no time to explore on your own. It was a great day though.

We think Bob's post offers very sound advice.  Paris is DW's favorite city (world wide) and we have spent more then our share of time in that city.  We also have taken many cruises that had port days in Le Havre.  Going to Paris (from Le Havre) for a port day tour is not a great way to see Paris although it is better then nothing if it is your only option.  Paris is best enjoyed by spending several days (or even weeks) in the city!  We have previously done just what Bob suggests and its a great option.  You arrange with your cruise line to disembark (at Le Havre) a day early.  You can then take the train (or arrange other transportation) to Paris and spend some real time (perhaps a few days) in the city.  You then fly home from CDG.  Another alternative (if you have the time and money) is to spend a few days in Paris, then take the Eurostar train to London and spend some time in London before flying home.  Or course there is also the option of just spending more time in France (or Europe) before returning home.  

Hank

Although I am not a big fan of cruise line excursions (we find them overpriced and overcrowded) your post makes me think this might be your best option.  NCL will certainly offer excursions to Paris which will use bus transportation.  Hiring a guide/car/driver in Le Havre will be very expensive unless you can join with a few others (try using the CC Roll Call for your cruise and see if anyone is interested) to hire a tour.  There is also frequent (usually hourly) train service between Le Havre and Paris but this does not sound like a good option for you given your posted limitations.  Otherwise a possibility would be to take the train to Paris and arrange with Tours by Locals to have a guide meet you in Paris.

You are probably aware that Paris is a huge city and most meaningful tours do involve a lot of walking.  It is possible that NCL will offer some kind of bus tour with minimal walking but we have no clue.  Another possibility is to get yourself to Paris and do some sightseeing on a hop-on-hop-off bus.

I guess as folks who really do love Paris we join with the others who have told you that this city is best visited on a multi-day visit (we think a week is too short).  One can certainly minimize walking by using public transit or the HoHo buses.  But the limitations of a short port day visit are difficult to overcome.

Hank

Hank offers excellent advice.  On our recent Viking tour, the participants on the Le Havre - Paris - Le Havre day trip returned exhausted, but happy to have seen Paris.  Several said that might be the only opportunity in their lives to see the City of Light.  They seemed delighted to have seen such world famous sights as the Etoile, Louvre, Eiffel Tower, etc.

I made a similar, difficult choice. My wife and I have been to France several times, but never to Normandy or Brittany. For close to 50 years, I've wanted to see the mountain church of St Michel. But, I didn't want to rush it by spending eight hours on the bus, for just three hours seeing the building.  So, I hope to spend two or three days of a future trip to France focused only on that building and mount.

Edited by Cienfuegos
clarity