Room Steward-Do you do anything neat for them?

cre8memories

I read, a couple of years ago, about things people had done for their room steward. An example was bringing a stationary set for them to mail letters, chocolate, ect. Whatever it was I read said they got better treatment from their steward bc of it. If you've ever done anything like this, please post it here. I'd like to take a couple of things on my upcoming trip!

TIA!

I know everyone says cash and cash only. I am like you and would like to do a small something. I plan to take post cards from our state to write them thank yous on (with cash attached) also some M & M's or some small candy. I thought about doing small bath and body lotion if it is a lady. Hope someone else has some good ideas. And yes, I will still keep the auto tip on and more than likely give extra.

The cabin stewards I have talked with said they neither want nor need anything in the way of little 'happies', not even int'l phone cards.

On several cruises a few years back, I always took little 'goody bags' filled with all kinds of items. The stewards always smiled politely and thanked me. I finally asked outright what they thought about the little gifts, and got my answer... They want CASH only. Their quarters are shared with other employees, and they have no extra room in there for anything.

I do still take a lot of the little mini bags of M&Ms. I hand one to the room service delivery person along with his tip. Big smiles. I also leave a bag on the dresser with $1 attached to a postit note every day of the cruise.

But - taking a whole buncha little items you are sure they would love to have or send home to their families - not a good idea. CASH.:)

I like to take along postcards from our home town or homemade notecards to write a thank you note to include in the tip envelope the last night.

When you have an outstanding cabin steward, it's nice to write a note on your comment card to let their supervisors know. Be sure to ask your cabin steward their full name and let them know that you want to praise their service on the comment card. Princess has special cards to write on about staff members who are above excellent.

I like to take along postcards from our home town or homemade notecards to write a thank you note to include in the tip envelope the last night.

When you have an outstanding cabin steward, it's nice to write a note on your comment card to let their supervisors know. Be sure to ask your cabin steward their full name and let them know that you want to praise their service on the comment card. Princess has special cards to write on about staff members who are above excellent.

These comment cards are greatly appreciated by the staff. I have heard that good comments help them to get their promotions.

I did the thank-you cards last time and the steward and the waiter and assistant waiter said how nice it was to get them. (I know they appreciated the little extra $$ we put in them, too!)

How much extra of a tip should you give. I am never sure. I hear some people say "give them $20 when you first meet them" and then others are saying a few bucks each time they bring you something....is there a good answer to this? I never seem to know for sure and I think I have over-tipped on numerous occasions because I don't want to appear cheap! (not on a cruise ship but in other situations).

Mary Jane:confused:

Mary Jane, we have only give extra $10 up front on one cruise, and that was because we asked for our steward to bring deck chairs down for our balcony. You can give extra at the front if you want to. I have not seen any difference in our service when we didn't do it up front. The room stewards are doing something for you MANY times a day. Don't worry about tipping each time. I think that during the week, a kind word, a thank-you, asking about their family, etc. is appreciated.

On our first few cruises, I didn't even think about tipping extra. It wasn't that I wouldn't, it was that I just didn't even think of it. I have since changed!

Have a great cruise. Don't stress!

First, get their name on your first meeting and call them by it everytime you see them.

I agree with cash, don't agree with upfront tipping bringing better service, and profoundly agree with thank you, thank you, thank you. Tip extra, on the spot, when they do something special for you and at the end of the cruise. A special note , by name, on the customer comment cards AND a letter to the Captain will light them up like a neon sign. They are interested in saving as much money as possible and getting promoted. Your comments help greatly in that area. Stationary and envelopes are in the cabin, the captain's name is in the Information Packet in the room and the purser will gladly deliver it to the captain.

Bibb

In my 42 cruises, I've never, ever tipped up front. If you're going to have a bad waiter or room steward, he's going to be bad whether you tip early or not. Conversely, if you have a good waiter/room steward, they know that their service will be rewarded at the end with a good tip.

In my 42 cruises, I've never, ever tipped up front. If you're going to have a bad waiter or room steward, he's going to be bad whether you tip early or not. Conversely, if you have a good waiter/room steward, they know that their service will be rewarded at the end with a good tip.

I agree!!!

Cash & Respect!

The idea behind candy and little trinkets is cute but imagine how you'd feel at work if you busted butt for somebody and they gave you a little packet of candy in return.:confused:

Some of the room stewards I've had are college educated and can make more money on the ship than they would in their chosen careers in their home country.

I do tip extra and I'm one of the weird ones who always straightens up the cabin and has things pretty organized before the steward even stops by each day. (I know I'm not the only one who does this.......)

AND a letter to the Captain will light them up like a neon sign.

Bibb

Complete newbie question here, but how do you get letters to the Captain and other ship personnel? I keep seeing tips on sending a letter to this person or that, but who do you actually hand the letter to? :confused:

I have a question on tipping, too. On our cruise last month we were told (incorrectly!) that the purser would exchange our leftover pesos from Cozumel to dollars. They said they couldn't so we left two hundred pesos (about $20) in the envelope for our room steward along with a note to enjoy it in his next Mexican port. We were short on U.S. dollars for the trip home and didn't know when we would ever be able to use the pesos ourselves. Was this o.k., do you think? Does the crew generally visit the ports?:confused:

Archived