Passport-Cruise reservation Last name question

WEGL81

My son-in-law is Hispanic and his passport shows two last names.  But the cruise reservation was made only using his “First” last name.  Will this create a problem at check-in?  I have heard that cruise lines can be extremely picky on passports matching registered names and have denied boarding when they don’t match.  I know I can call Royal Caribbean and get the name changed on the reservation, but wanted to get some feedback from people with similar situations. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies.  I did that and his name is updated.  What I failed to mention is that he is a legal alien and so has an alien residence card.  Should I put his passport in the check in or his alien residence card (Royal has either as an option).  And the kicker is his alien residence card doesn't have the second last name.  So now his set sail pass matches his passport but not his alien residence card.  Color me confused.  I think I just have to put in one and have him bring both documents.

34 minutes ago, WEGL81 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I did that and his name is updated.  What I failed to mention is that he is a legal alien and so has an alien residence card.  Should I put his passport in the check in or his alien residence card (Royal has either as an option).  And the kicker is his alien residence card doesn't have the second last name.  So now his set sail pass matches his passport but not his alien residence card.  Color me confused.  I think I just have to put in one and have him bring both documents.

I would ask the cruise line these questions.  They are the ones that have to decide whether to allow boarding or not.

Bring both.  My mom doesn’t have a passport so brings her driver’s license as the photo ID and her birth certificate.  However, the last name on her birth certificate is different then her married name on drivers license.  So she brings her marriage certificate with her.

I do not know if rules are the same as years ago but I was detained in Ft. Lauderdale when we returned from a cruise because my last name on manifest did not match my legal name on my passport.  Celebrity employee did not pay attention when I boarded but immigration agent did when I went to exit terminal.  Take both forms of ID and be safe.

Only reason to have the resident alien card would be if the passport was from a country that the holder would need a current visa for the US.  The resident alien card covers that.

It may be possible, that some stops could accept a US resident alien card in lieu of a visa also.

My son has two middle names which are both on his passport and they didn't fit on the Royal reservation unless I removed the space.  When we got to the terminal it took an extra 5 minutes checking in.  A supervisor had to come override something because of this.  But they didn't really answer me when I asked what I should do next time so "shrugs".  Not much help for you I guess. LOL

I have had that issue, as I am Jr.

Some reservations systems did not have a suffix field.  So, it was lastnamejr for me. 🙂

Ex had the same sort of issue.  She did not drop either middle or maiden name, but added my last name.

22 hours ago, WEGL81 said:

Since he has a ARC, input that information as that is what he will be checked in with.  Although his passport can not be used to check in, bring it anyway to show the 2nd last name..... 

10 hours ago, fredflint said:

Passport trumps all other ID and is valid everywhere.  I  can not see where they would ask for the resident alien card.  You can be from anywhere to take a cruise?

If cruising form any US port he MUST use the ARC card unless it is a one way TA or full transit Panama Canal cruise.  The US does not recognize dual citizenship and once you have an ARC you are considered part of the US.

Ok it is a little more complex and you should probably check with whatever legal help he received for his green card.

https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/leaving-returning-green-card.html

f you are a U.S. green card holder (lawful permanent resident), the right to travel outside the U.S. and return is one of the privileges that comes with your status. However, that does not mean that your reentry is guaranteed.

You will need to take care to bring the proper documents, maintain your U.S. residence, and be aware of the risks of being found inadmissible or deportable upon your reentry.

Documents to Bring When Traveling

Here's what to make sure you bring along.

Passport From Country of Origin and Your U.S. Green Card

Even though you are now a U.S. resident, you will need to bring your foreign passport when traveling, for purposes of entering other countries. A U.S. green card is not sufficient by itself as a travel document, though it is enough to get you back into the United States.

You will, in fact, be expected to present your valid, unexpired green card upon reentry to the United States. (This is also known as a Permanent Resident Card or Form I-551.)

Thanks.  These have all been helpful.  I do plan on calling Royal Caribbean today and then my travel agent to get the name changed back to match his green card.  Will let you know what they say in case someone else encounters this issue.

13 hours ago, mscinmia said:

Since he has a ARC, input that information as that is what he will be checked in with.  Although his passport can not be used to check in, bring it anyway to show the 2nd last name..... 

mscinmia- Do you have person experience with this?  Reason I ask is that I called Crown and Anchor Society and the person there said to input his passport.  I realize he will still need his green card to re-enter the US, but they said entering the passport was the way to go.  Hopefully they are right.  But if you have personal experience with this, I would appreciate your response.  To be safe I am having him bring his passport, ARC, and DL showing his US address.  If it weren't the fact that his passport has the two last names and his other two IDs don't, I don't think it would matter much.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, WEGL81 said:

mscinmia- Do you have person experience with this?  Reason I ask is that I called Crown and Anchor Society and the person there said to input his passport.  I realize he will still need his green card to re-enter the US, but they said entering the passport was the way to go.  Hopefully they are right.  But if you have personal experience with this, I would appreciate your response.  To be safe I am having him bring his passport, ARC, and DL showing his US address.  If it weren't the fact that his passport has the two last names and his other two IDs don't, I don't think it would matter much.  Thanks.

Yes, I do have experience with this.  I work at a port and handle this on a daily basis.  What ship are you sailing?

11 hours ago, WEGL81 said:

Mariner of the Seas out of Port Canaveral.

I am further south at Port Everglades...Don't stress about this... Just leave it as it is and bring the passport, ARC and his driver's license.  His passport will be stamped with the ARC notation.  They have an amazing documentation person in Port Canaveral that handles the Royal ships up there....Have a great cruise!!

6 hours ago, mscinmia said:

I am further south at Port Everglades...Don't stress about this... Just leave it as it is and bring the passport, ARC and his driver's license.  His passport will be stamped with the ARC notation.  They have an amazing documentation person in Port Canaveral that handles the Royal ships up there....Have a great cruise!!

Thanks.  Our travel agent actually called us last night because of this.  It seems to be straightened out.  Thanks for all the advice.

Well, despite what my TA said it wasn’t straightened out.  After several calls to Royal and to the TA, they finally agreed that what you said, mscinmia, is correct.  He needs to check in with his ARC.  Had I just gone with the first two responses from Royal, it would have been wrong.  Goes to show you that Cruise Critic folks know what they’re talking about an calling the cruise line to talk to someone whose prime job it is to sell yo a cruise is not always the best approach.  Now it took two more calls to finally get his name corrected, but today it all looks good.

• 3 weeks later...

Following up post-cruise.  Mscinmia was exactly correct.  He used his ARC card to check in.  No issues other than a wisecracking security agent who claimed we needed to provide him a beer to let my son-in-law through.  Coming back was a breeze as he got to use the facial recognition line and didn’t even need to meet with a CBP officer.

• Like 1