Code sharing???

styme123

I'm a flying newbie and am not really understanding the whole code share thing and how effects my flight. I did google it but not really helpful. I'm looking at flights from NY to London this summer. I see a flight for example that says KLM operated by Delta for $350. Which plane am I on a KLM plane or Delta? I see the same flight time that says just Delta for say $500. Why the difference in price when KLM is not involved? Do I have to pay any additional seat selection fees to KLM if I'm on a delta flight? Are there any benefits/drawbacks to using code shared flights?

If it is "operated by Delta" you will be on a Delta plane. Codeshare is an agreement between airlines operating in an "alliance" or a group of allied airlines. So this is KLM selling seats on a Delta plane because they are in the same "alliance" of airlines.

Someone more knowledgeable than I will explain the reasons for differing prices. But it is very common. Pros and cons to booking one way or the other will vary by airline and frequent flyer program. I am not in Delta/KLM's alliance, so can't speak to those. But in United's alliance (called Star Alliance) there are some benefits to booking through United's website for flights on partner airlines.

One big advantage of codeshares and alliances is airlines get to sell tickets to places they don't fly, which pleases their loyal customers. For example, If Delta doesn't fly to, say for example, Brussels from New York, but KLM does, if you are a Delta loyal frequent flyer, you can book that NYC-Brussels flight and stay loyal to Delta for loyalty benefits, both short term and long term.

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If it is "operated by Delta" you will be on a Delta plane. Codeshare is an agreement between airlines operating in an "alliance" or a group of allied airlines. So this is KLM selling seats on a Delta plane because they are in the same "alliance" of airlines.

Someone more knowledgeable than I will explain the reasons for differing prices. But it is very common. Pros and cons to booking one way or the other will vary by airline and frequent flyer program. I am not in Delta/KLM's alliance, so can't speak to those. But in United's alliance (called Star Alliance) there are some benefits to booking through United's website for flights on partner airlines.

One big advantage of codeshares and alliances is airlines get to sell tickets to places they don't fly, which pleases their loyal customers. For example, If Delta doesn't fly to, say for example, Brussels from New York, but KLM does, if you are a Delta loyal frequent flyer, you can book that NYC-Brussels flight and stay loyal to Delta for loyalty benefits, both short term and long term.

Thanks for the explanation. I don't fly often so I don't use FF miles. So I guess for me it doesn't matter who I pick to fly on I guess the only other thing that I'm wondering is why the price difference?

12 hours ago, styme123 said:

Thanks for the explanation. I don't fly often so I don't use FF miles. So I guess for me it doesn't matter who I pick to fly on I guess the only other thing that I'm wondering is why the price difference?

I'm not an expert on it but generally airlines make a certain inventory available to partner airlines to sell and with each cabin class there are multiple different fare codes.  In this case, you are probably seeing the result of KLM having a different availability of fare codes to sell, Delta choosing (at this time) not to offer a more discounted fare code that KLM still has available, or something of that nature.

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

I'm not an expert on it but generally airlines make a certain inventory available to partner airlines to sell and with each cabin class there are multiple different fare codes.  In this case, you are probably seeing the result of KLM having a different availability of fare codes to sell, Delta choosing (at this time) not to offer a more discounted fare code that KLM still has available, or something of that nature.

This is my understanding of it too. Let's say Delta allows KLM to sell 10 tickets at the Q fare class (just grabbing a random letter) and has 10 of their own Q fares. Delta's 10 Q's may have sold out quicker than KLM's, and then Delta moved to the next highest fare, while KLM still have some of their lower fare Q's available. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

This is my understanding of it too. Let's say Delta allows KLM to sell 10 tickets at the Q fare class (just grabbing a random letter) and has 10 of their own Q fares. Delta's 10 Q's may have sold out quicker than KLM's, and then Delta moved to the next highest fare, while KLM still have some of their lower fare Q's available. 

Gotcha! makes a bit more sense now, thank you!

On 11/10/2019 at 8:54 PM, CruiserBruce said:

And the airlines making these codeshare agreements do not necessarily need to be in the same alliance, especially as there is still some airlines, which are not members of any of the airline alliances. Although certainly on the routes which are operated by multiple airlines, it is common to offer codeshare flights with the alliance partners rather than some airline from the other alliances.

On 11/11/2019 at 5:26 AM, waterbug123 said:

One of the more blatant cases I've seen of this is BA short haul flights when they'd have certain very deep discount fare inventories that exist entirely in-house and are used to compete directly with other European ULCCs like RyanAir and easy jet. So you'd see a £60 ticket on BA directly but the cheapest option for that same flight booked through a code share on American would be $340+

Watch for what class of ticket  (economy vs main cabin).  A $350 trans Atlantic seems a very good price.  But if it is an economy ticket you may not be allowed to select a seat and will be "stuck" in the middle of a 4 seat arrangement.  Also, check your cruise lines web site for airfares.

22 minutes ago, teacherman said:

Watch for what class of ticket  (economy vs main cabin).  A $350 trans Atlantic seems a very good price.  But if it is an economy ticket you may not be allowed to select a seat and will be "stuck" in the middle of a 4 seat arrangement.  Also, check your cruise lines web site for airfares.

I would be careful with the terms "economy" and "main cabin", as economy is a term often meant to cover the entire main cabin, and vice versa. But yes, it's important to review what is and is not included with your specific fare - cabin baggage, checked baggage, seat assignment, meal, etc. etc. Sometimes it's all of those, sometimes some, sometimes none. And there is no one overarching term for anything these days, so research beyond "that's cheap, I'm buying it" is critical.

• Like 1