FCO arriving term1 departing term 3

rwdtgb

I haven't booked the flight yet.  The flight I am thinking about Alitalia from Genoa arriving at 12:25. I will then depart on Iberia (from term 3) at 2:30. Is this doable? I think not but would love to get into Madrid earlier so we can enjoy a dinner.

Agree that the connection should be very doable. If you really want a non-stop, you always have the option of going to Milan and flying out of there.

1 hour ago, rwdtgb said:

would love to get into Madrid earlier so we can enjoy a dinner.

You know that dinner time in Spain is never before 9 pm, right?

• Like 1

Is this one ticket, so that your connection is protected? Or are you purchasing one ticket for the Alitalia flight, and one completely different ticket for Iberia? If the latter, keep in mind that any missed "connection" (it's not really a connection, it's two origin & destination tickets) would not be protected and you may be prompted to buy a last-minute, walk-up fare should you miss the second flight. 

4 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Is this one ticket, so that your connection is protected? Or are you purchasing one ticket for the Alitalia flight, and one completely different ticket for Iberia? If the latter, keep in mind that any missed "connection" (it's not really a connection, it's two origin & destination tickets) would not be protected and you may be prompted to buy a last-minute, walk-up fare should you miss the second flight. 

I’m planning on something similar, how much time would you allow for a connection? (Would be flying Alitalia for 1st flight to FCO, then 2nd flight with Air Italy)thanks in sdvance😊

5 hours ago, cjcruiser27 said:

I’m planning on something similar, how much time would you allow for a connection?

Simpler answer - one day.

Impossible to answer your question without more details. Which airlines?, Which airports? Do you have checked luggage?.

My advice is - do not book on two different tickets!  Book with one airline and one reservation. Then the airline will either re-book to a later flight or more likely reroute you in case of technical problems, strike or bad weather conditions.

If you have checked luggage you need to pick-up and check in at the transit airport which does require at least three hours. In case on any delays it will be a very stressful flight. In case of delay and missed connection you might be stranded in the transit airport.

10 hours ago, cjcruiser27 said:

I’m planning on something similar, how much time would you allow for a connection? (Would be flying Alitalia for 1st flight to FCO, then 2nd flight with Air Italy)thanks in sdvance😊

In reality, there's never a safe amount of time. It really depends on your risk aversion, and your ability to purchase a new ticket last minute to get you where you need to be. Not knowing your destination doesn't help, either.