disembarkation cape liberty NJ

nbhwarrior

Hi CC's

we (2) will disembarking at cape liberty (with luggage) and have flight back to the uk at 19.30 from JFK

looking to take in a bit of manhattan, shopping etc, but finding it difficult to put it together e.g. transportation, luggage storage

the only non hassle option seem to come up with, id the disembarkation tour with RCI, which is about $90 each

however my concern with this is it states a 4 hour tour, with JFK drop off, the tour leaves 9.30 from the port, so if my claculations are right will be at JFK at 13.30, which does not seem attractive

anybody done this disembarkation tour? or anyone got any alternative options

Thanks

51 minutes ago, nbhwarrior said:

looking to take in a bit of manhattan, shopping etc, but finding it difficult to put it together e.g. transportation, luggage storage

You have a lot of time and this is very easy to do on your own-- and Manhattan makes a lot of sense since you'll have to go that way anyway to get from Cape Liberty to JFK. I would take an Uber with your luggage into midtown and pick a nice (4-5 star) hotel in a central location for breakfast. Check your bags there and go eat. Come back for the bags later in the day when you are ready to head to the airport-- easy base of operations.

As long as you were a paying customer they should have no problem storing your bags for the few hours you are in town. You can look at it as slightly overpriced breakfast or cheap bag storage. 

The recommended location in NYC to store luggage is Schwartz Travel on West 37th Street. You can also google Luggage Hero or Bagbnb for other locations in the city.

As well as Uber there are taxis at Cape Liberty. Car services such as Dial 7 and Carmel Limo are options. The car services can also transport you from Manhattan to JFK, later in the day. Should be a fixed rate for a NYC taxi to JFK if you use them.

There are also public transit options from Bayonne to NYC and Manhaattan to JFK but not as convenient as automobile

6 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

You have a lot of time and this is very easy to do on your own-- and Manhattan makes a lot of sense since you'll have to go that way anyway to get from Cape Liberty to JFK. I would take an Uber with your luggage into midtown and pick a nice (4-5 star) hotel in a central location for breakfast. Check your bags there and go eat. Come back for the bags later in the day when you are ready to head to the airport-- easy base of operations.

As long as you were a paying customer they should have no problem storing your bags for the few hours you are in town. You can look at it as slightly overpriced breakfast or cheap bag storage. 

Thanks Princeton 

can you recommend a hotel that would hold bags 

or can anyone else?

thanks

2 hours ago, meadowlander said:

The recommended location in NYC to store luggage is Schwartz Travel on West 37th Street. You can also google Luggage Hero or Bagbnb for other locations in the city.

As well as Uber there are taxis at Cape Liberty. Car services such as Dial 7 and Carmel Limo are options. The car services can also transport you from Manhattan to JFK, later in the day. Should be a fixed rate for a NYC taxi to JFK if you use them.

There are also public transit options from Bayonne to NYC and Manhaattan to JFK but not as convenient as automobile

Thanks Meadowlander

would you know what that would roughly cost in transportation and storage?

thanks

18 hours ago, nbhwarrior said:

can you recommend a hotel that would hold bags 

Really any nice, full service hotel in midtown will do it, especially if you are using one of their dining facilities. Some particularly good breakfasts are Norma's at The Parker on 56th Street-- very close to Central Park and a good base of operations. Maialino at the Gramercy Park Hotel is a great option further downtown. There are a ton of options that are a little bit less expensive than either of these in the Times Square area. 

19 hours ago, nbhwarrior said:

Thanks Meadowlander

would you know what that would roughly cost in transportation and storage

I do know if you contact the cars services they will provide you with a quote. Again, ask if tolls, tips, any other fees added to the quoted price.

If you google the luggage sites, I am just as certain the prices will be located either on the site or if you contact them.

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Really any nice, full service hotel in midtown will do it, especially if you are using one of their dining facilities. Some particularly good breakfasts are Norma's at The Parker on 56th Street-- very close to Central Park and a good base of operations. Maialino at the Gramercy Park Hotel is a great option further downtown. There are a ton of options that are a little bit less expensive than either of these in the Times Square area. 

Sorry, I can't see telling a visitor to take a taxi or car serviced or Uber to a random hotel in the hopes they'll store their luggage. There's no guarantee a hotel will. It could be refused for any number of reasons from security concerns to lack of storage space if the hotel is exceptionally busy that day. 

Luggage can be stored inexpensively  at Schwartz Travel . It's their business and they're open 24 hours a day. The maximum fee is $10 per item per day so they'll probably end up spending less than breakfast at a fancy hotel would cost.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Sorry, I can't see telling a visitor to take a taxi or car serviced or Uber to a random hotel in the hopes they'll store their luggage. There's no guarantee a hotel will. It could be refused for any number of reasons from security concerns to lack of storage space if the hotel is exceptionally busy that day. 

We all have different comfort levels when traveling-- I've done this for years traveling for both work and personal and its never been an issue. If you go to a restaurant they will check your coat-- if you go to a hotel restaurant they will check your luggage. Just how it works. I've never been to a hotel thats run out of storage space. 

Personally I wouldn't want to take the time to schlep to a storefront just outside the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel to let my bags sit on an open shelf all day (looked the place up and saw some pictures) but to each their own. 

Hi All

Continuing to do research

i think i have another option but wanted to run it by here to get thoughts, i do have moments great problem solving and creative solutions, but also have have moments of insanity lol

so this seems to be a cost effective

take a cab/uber/carmel to to newark airport or north bergen to to rent a car $15 (give or take)

pick up rental car - $80 (all fees and insurance included)

drive to manhattan - $17.50 in tolls

pepaid valet parking in manahattan - $35 (luggage can be locked in the car)

manhattan to JFK - $9.50 toll

i dont know what the gas costs will be, and i am also aware that i will have to drive, which i am ok with

also if anyone can give me a timeline with this around travel time, this will be on a froday, with a 19.30 flight from JFK

look forward to your replies

Thnaks

What exact date would you be doing this?  Friday night traffic is notoriously bad. For a 19:30 flight you’d have to leave Manhattan by 15:30 at the latest. Getting to EWR, renting a car, getting yourselves back into Manhattan during the morning rush, and parking is going to be time consuming.  

Did you consider uber to Schwartz Travel, shopping, Uber to Penn Station, LIRR train to Jamaica, and air train to JFK?  I think this is a situation where the KISS principle applies. 

11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You will be hitting rush hour traffic into the city, and then again getting to JFK, especially on a Friday night. I think I’d stick to car service and luggage storage, with a driver who know the ins and outs of traffic.

Exactly!  If the OP does not already have extensive experience driving in heavy traffic on the right side of the road, NYC is not the place to get that experience.