Which Hotel would you keep?

mommypenguin29

We are flying into Ft Lauderdale and our cruise leave out of the Port of Miami - we are planning on staying one night in Ft Lauderdale before the cruise. We will arrive around 3 PM - so do not have time for touring...basically need a comfortable and clean room with some place to eat dinner within walking distance in a safe area. It is me, dh, ds (14) and dd (11)...we currently have two options booked, so looking for which one you would recommend:

La Quinta Inn and Suites Ft Lauderdale Airport - free airport shuttle, around $140 a night, and scheduled shuttle to Miami

Embassy Suites Ft Lauderdale - pay for taxi, around $180 a night, and scheduled shuttle to Miami

So LaQuinta would save about $50 and it looks like we could walk to restaurants - but unsure of the area...and I know Embassy Suites gets recommended here alot... what would you suggest I keep?

thanks!

There are tons and tons of restaurants and other things to do in the area of the Embassy Suites. Absolutely nothing wrong with the area of the Embassy Suites. That is also a major reason the Embassy Suites is recommended for the "I want a hotel with restaurants, stores, etc" questions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommypenguin29 said:

We are flying into Ft Lauderdale and our cruise leave out of the Port of Miami - we are planning on staying one night in Ft Lauderdale before the cruise. We will arrive around 3 PM - so do not have time for touring...basically need a comfortable and clean room with some place to eat dinner within walking distance in a safe area. It is me, dh, ds (14) and dd (11)...we currently have two options booked, so looking for which one you would recommend:

La Quinta Inn and Suites Ft Lauderdale Airport - free airport shuttle, around $140 a night, and scheduled shuttle to Miami

Embassy Suites Ft Lauderdale - pay for taxi, around $180 a night, and scheduled shuttle to Miami

So LaQuinta would save about $50 and it looks like we could walk to restaurants - but unsure of the area...and I know Embassy Suites gets recommended here alot... what would you suggest I keep?

thanks!

The Embassy also has a wonderful breakfast included in the price which could be a real saver with the four of you.  All the usual things but also has cooked to order omelettes and eggs.  There is also a hosted managers reception with some snacks, cocktails, wine and beer.  

You can use google maps to see what restaurants are available within walking distance of both places.  I believe there is a better selection near the embassy.  

You'll also have to pay for transportation from both to the cruise port.

Here's a great tool for determining taxi costs.

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Fort-Lauderdale-FL&from=Cruise port fort lauderdale

If it were me, I do the Embassy.

Another vote for ES.

Publix and Total Wine are just out the back door and many good restaurants just blocks away.

Kelly's Landing and Southport Raw Bar are two of our favorite pre-cruise places. Kelly's has great New England Style seafood and Southport has drink and food specials and great people watching as it always has a full compliment of locals eating and drinking there.

I know there is a popular sports bar nearby the ES, not sure of the name, Duffy's maybe?

There is a good ice cream spot across the street as well.

We used to stay at Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale...but it's looking a bit tired. We now opt for the Hyatt Place and actually just returned from a post-cruise 3 days there last month.

Shuttle from FLL to the hotel is $2.00 per room....You can get two double beds and the large couch also makes into a bed.

They have a hot breakfast (free if you're a member). We book directly with Hyatt to get member rates. 

Great location just behind Embassy Suites and next to the Harbor Shopping center (Publix market as noted above). 

Duffy's is a great option for dining and is in the parking lot of Publix which is just a couple of minutes walk from the Hyatt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, xitappers2bx said:

I feel like everyone really loves the Embassy Suites; I have a room booked at the Hilton using points or I'd probably stay there too.  It has great reviews.

Embassy Suites is a Hilton property.  Have  you tried using your points at the Embassy?

Embassy is a great location, and has such a nice pool area.  Like others have mentioned, it includes a great free, hot, breakfast, and the managers reception happy hour is free the night before.  

Walking distance to a lot of good restaurants, shops, pharmacies, even Ross if anyone needs an extra shirt or forgot a bathing suit.  I vote ES.