Ordering with the Princess Ocean Now

Notonboard

I can tell you that we were on the Royal on 11/2 and the order now was not reliable for our party.  First time we ordered we were by the retreat pool on a port day......i could see the bar....yet the waiter wandered around looking for us til i looked up from my book and saw him pass me by...i said is that a daiquiri he said yes are you cassandra..i said yes...he said he had been looking for me.  Next sea day we were on the side of the ship laying out just aft of the main pool and MUTS...tried to use the app...said our location was not a valid location on the ship to order....huh what...so we waited until we went to bingo in the lounge...now it said we could order .....after waiting and seeing it said "serving" we looked around saw a waitress delivering drinks to another row and asked if that was our drink...she again asked our name we said yes and she said she had been looking for us as the "app" showed us sitting in the back of the lounge when we were at the front.......same thing happened to our friend when she ordered hers as well. Oh and she was not able to use it in the dining room, had to order that from the waiters.  So long story short i would order it and stay put as they had a hard time finding us in general, it was odd they didnt announce our name or the type of drink while "looking" for us.  I wasn't too impressed with it. 

1 hour ago, Notonboard said:

Does anybody know if you have to stay put once you order with Ocean Now? Can I order at the pool then wander to my cabin? Is there an extra charge if it’s in my cabin?

There is no extra charge to get a drink in the cabin from what the app indicates.  I would think ordering up on the Lido (which sends the order to a nearby bar) and then taking off perhaps several decks down and forward or aft would cause some sort of delay and I wouldn't do it.  Best to wait for the drink to arrive and take it yourself or order once there. 

But they can track you.  I just had a mixup on the CROWN with an order I made right at Tradewinds bar where I collected my drink (off app menu) and then returned to Sanctuary upstairs and forward of Tradewinds.  A few minutes later, a waiter was at my side with another drink from downstairs that I had not intended to come, so they must have tracked me.  In this case, that is the actual bar that would service the Sanctuary had I ordered online from there, so I wouldn't have been putting anyone out or throwing a wrench in the system if I did so.

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

is the first drink free if using the app ?  that would possibly be the only reason we would ever use it ...

It was when we were on their 11/2 on the Royal.  Which is why we used it...I mean if its free sure...maybe perhaps that is why service was sub par...but to have the one waitress state it showed her we were sitting somewhere else is odd....

27 minutes ago, voljeep said:

not to be too greedy, but is it one for me and then one for my wife at a different time ?

Doesn't have to be a separate time.  Could be.  You each have your own Medallion Class app and identity, so it is one per passenger per cruise (until they stop doing it).  My guess is they will keep it going at least until all ships are on Medallion Class or they figure most customers have experienced it.  It is a nice little perk - not quite replacing Happy Hour, but much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Notonboard said:

Does anybody know if you have to stay put once you order with Ocean Now? Can I order at the pool then wander to my cabin? Is there an extra charge if it’s in my cabin?

Why would you order then wander off to wherever?

For now ... therr is no  extra charge  

Edited by pms4104

I wouldn’t order off the app if I intended to wander off to another area. I would think that would create a problem for the server.

like others have said, there are glitches & deficiencies in the app. On our Regal cruise, there were many times when it said there wasn’t sny service svailable where I was, or it said I was in my room when I wasn’t. I ordered a drink while in the Piazza; the app said order placed, then order being prepared , then  being served by so & so, then showed as delivered. Never received it, & hadn’t moved. I called over a server, who checked & said the never received the order, then looked at my app & it said I was in my room. I went back to my room, but no drink. My account was charged though. A trip to Guest Relations & they credited my account.

Another shortcoming of the app it that you can only order the drinks listed. My preference is Jack on the rocks, but they only list Jack & coke (IMO, a mortal sin!)

I tried to order a drink where we were going to meet up with others for a sail-away while sitting in the muster call location, but the app did not let me to order in a different location. (Thought it would be cool to get my drink as I stepped into the venue.) Likewise, just going someplace else after ordering in one location may not provide the service you were looking for.

just off the crown as well,  had  issues trying  to order that  first  drink..   Ended up  with 2.  DH  had  continual issues trying to use and get   his drink..  It finally  worked...  had  issues that  he  tech folks  had never seen  before

12 hours ago, pms4104 said:

For now ... therr is no  extra charge  

ADD? Normally you can't order a drink to your cabin without a charge.  Since they track you, guess they don’t want to chase you. I mean how long do you wait?

14 hours ago, pms4104 said:

13 hours ago, richsea said:

I wouldn’t order off the app if I intended to wander off to another area. I would think that would create a problem for the server.

From the Princess web site:

OceanNow™ is a feature that allows you to easily order food, drinks and more from your MedallionClass app or your stateroom TV and have it delivered to you. Your Medallion tells crew members where you are and sends them directly to you so you won't miss a moment of relaxation and enjoyment.

If you can order it from your cabin TV, that indicates that it can be delivered to your cabin or it could mean you could order it from your cabin TV and have it delivered elsewhere.

As I remember the earlier marketing about the Medallion, it said you could order a beverage from your cabin (or elsewhere) and have it delivered to the Princess Theater once you arrived there.