What to wear Caribbean Xmas NYE cruise

ShipShapely

Have not been on a cruise to Caribbean before although have gone to Aruba during holidays several times.  What do I pack esp for evening? 14 days over Xmas and new year leaving from Miami to various southern Caribbean ports and key west. I went shopping and everything being sold now of course is lots of black, red, sparkles, gold, winter white etc. Should I bring summer colors and styles? Will it be warm and summery? Especially want to know what to wear evenings.  Only bring summer clothes or some of the lighter weight typical Xmas holiday type stuff? Can’t pack everything.  Bought a nice winter white outfit with sweater top.  Is this going to be ridiculous in that climate and look silly? Thanks all.  

We often sail to the Caribbean in December, either just the week before Christmas or for a New Year’s cruise. To me, these seem to be dressier cruises due to the holidays but even if others aren’t so dressy, DH and I do like to dress up on formal nights. 

This NYE cruise, I plan on wearing velvet narrow slacks with dressy top on one of the formal nights (though I’ve worn the pants on multiple formal nights with just a different top). Then on the other evenings, I’ll still wear the velvet pants with more casual tops (makes packing easy!); the casual tops can be worn again later in the week during the day with shorts. I also have a dressy jump suit and I’m taking it this year for NYE but it will only be worn once. All are machine washable too!

I’ve also worn sparkly sweaters in the Caribbean as it can get quite cool inside so I think your winter white will be just perfect.

I do bring another pair of slacks for non-formal evenings in the event we choose to skip the main dining room, which I’ll wear with one of the casual tops.

Hope this helps!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gotta cruise again said:

We often sail to the Caribbean in December, either just the week before Christmas or for a New Year’s cruise. To me, these seem to be dressier cruises due to the holidays but even if others aren’t so dressy, DH and I do like to dress up on formal nights. 

This NYE cruise, I plan on wearing velvet narrow slacks with dressy top on one of the formal nights (though I’ve worn the pants on multiple formal nights with just a different top). Then on the other evenings, I’ll still wear the velvet pants with more casual tops (makes packing easy!); the casual tops can be worn again later in the week during the day with shorts. I also have a dressy jump suit and I’m taking it this year for NYE but it will only be worn once. All are machine washable too!

I’ve also worn sparkly sweaters in the Caribbean as it can get quite cool inside so I think your winter white will be just perfect.

I do bring another pair of slacks for non-formal evenings in the event we choose to skip the main dining room, which I’ll wear with one of the casual tops.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write that! Much appreciate and was helpful. I am also wondering about colors - Do you pack bright and light colored summer things ... for example, would you wear a summer sundress or white slacks etc or are you sticking to black for evening - or bringing some of both?... Any other time of year and I wouldn't even have a question. Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, ShipShapely said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to write that! Much appreciate and was helpful. I am also wondering about colors - Do you pack bright and light colored summer things ... for example, would you wear a summer sundress or white slacks etc or are you sticking to black for evening - or bringing some of both?... Any other time of year and I wouldn't even have a question. Thanks again. 

Yes to all of the above...but not necessarily all of them on the same cruise—LOL!! I’ve worn winter white palazzo pants with a beaded sweater (formal); I wear white capris during the day in the winter in the Caribbean; I think summer sundresses are perfectly acceptable though inside, I usually need covering on my arms; foe evening, tend to have black on the bottom (pant or skirt) but have worn red, royal blue, gold, pink, burgundy, and I’m sure other colors as my formal top; my casual tops for evening (later worn during the day) are usually florals, stripes, abstracts, and solids with colors varying depending on how I decide to pack.

I do try to keep colors within a coordinating palate so that each bottom has more than one top that works with it (and each top can go with more than one bottom too).

I don’t think the “color rules” of when we can/cannot wear white or velvet matter so much any more. As long as the weight of the clothing is appropriate to the temperature where I’m traveling, I’ll wear it!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

NYE should be fairly dressy . . . I'd definitely pack something sparkly or at the very least a LBD. 

While the Caribbean is causal cruise lines are dressier.  

I'm always cold in AC & I think the interior of cruise ship dining rooms are frigid so I always back a wrap or midway through dinner I'm stealing DH's sports coat & he's grumpy because I ruined his look.  My husband is a dapper guy 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, trish1c said:

I'll be on a Christmas & New Year's cruise, our cruise line is country club casual, I will not be wearing anything dressy ;-) We leave next weekend so I'm finalizing my packing plan now (I don't normally do warm weather vacations but we did just go to SEAsia in August so will likely pack many of the same things).  I do like dresses - for day & evening - so I will pack those BUT they are not cocktail dresses.

Packing styles - and cruise lines with various dress codes - for all sorts of different preferences :-)

thank you. this has been helpful. Im planning on packing dressy black skirt and several dressy tops to mix like black crepe, silky red plus a sparkly wrap or two. I always bring several pashminas and thin cardigan. It is freezing in dining rooms as stated. Also have slacks to go with the tops. Daytime just a couple of capris pants and tops. One long tropical type dress. I hope to spend a lot of daytime in beach and pool attire! 

The Caribbean is warm all year round. I have sailed there in all the winter months over the years and in my

experience, November/Dec/Jan/Feb are warm to hot outside. Inside the ship? I don't do formal anymore but

have found dressy slacks and pretty tops with some nice jewelry is always appropriate.

14 minutes ago, back to the islands said:

What about a black velvet skirt and top with sheer sleeves? I was thinking in the Caribbean, even at Christmas and New Year's, velvet might be too wintery.  Thoughts?

I’m wearing velvet in 2 weeks on a Caribbean cruise. You will see velvet! Last year, I paid attention and saw quite a number of ladies in velvet: skirts, pants, tops, and jackets too.

• Like 1

The thought of velvet makes me break out in a sweat - I can't even wear it at home, much less the Caribbean. And no, the dining room is NOT cold enough for me 😉

Guess I'm one who isn't willing to suffer to "celebrate". Many others find velvet acceptable. If I'm in the Caribbean over the holidays, I'd like to dress by CELEBRATING the temps there. I'm packing linen 😉

On 12/13/2019 at 12:31 PM, ShipShapely said:

Im planning on packing dressy black skirt and several dressy tops to mix like black crepe, silky red plus a sparkly wrap or two. I always bring several pashminas and thin cardigan...

That sounds lovely, and also don't forget that you can jazz up an outfit with some sparkly jewelry! Do you have some pretty drop earrings, sparkly bracelets, and cocktail rings (even costume is fine!)? How about a long necklace that catches the light and twinkles for the occasion?

I know you'll figure it out. 😊 Enjoy your special cruise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

That sounds lovely, and also don't forget that you can jazz up an outfit with some sparkly jewelry! Do you have some pretty drop earrings, sparkly bracelets, and cocktail rings (even costume is fine!)? How about a long necklace that catches the light and twinkles for the occasion?

I know you'll figure it out. 😊 Enjoy your special cruise.

Well thank you Langley!! Yes, I will be bringing some bling! Hah. Thanks so much for your post. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

IMO, a ship is its own season and its own place.  I've worn velvet, silk, and everything else on cruises.  For Christmas and NYE I'd definitely be packing my very dressiest dresses.

As I noted - all sorts of preferences & options to suit them all. We just don't cruise on lines with formal nights these days. [I still won't wear velvet when the temps are warm like that - no matter what day of the year it is ;-)]

Hi Hoya, I believe we will be on the same cruise on Riviera! Will look forward to meeting up! I also agree that velvet is for cold northern climates and not Caribbean but hey, we are not fashion police, so by all means everyone should suit themselves.  I also think that even if you are on a ship where “country club casual” is the standard, that NYE and holiday season are special and dressier clothes are called for.  If you don’t dress up then, then when? 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 9:20 AM, ShipShapely said:

Have not been on a cruise to Caribbean before although have gone to Aruba during holidays several times.  What do I pack esp for evening? 14 days over Xmas and new year leaving from Miami to various southern Caribbean ports and key west. I went shopping and everything being sold now of course is lots of black, red, sparkles, gold, winter white etc. Should I bring summer colors and styles? Will it be warm and summery?

I'm a little surprised that you booked a two week Carib cruise, without knowing if the weather that time of year would be warm or cold!   But to answer your question, yes the Caribbean will be summer weather during winter months.  Inside the ship is climate controlled of course, so I would imagine you can wear a sweater here and there and be fine.  I probably wouldn't though but that's just me; I typically wear halter tops or dresses with halter necklines and almost never need a wrap of any kind, so I would get too hot in a sweater at night, unless the AC was particularly low that night.

On 12/13/2019 at 1:46 PM, trish1c said:

For evenings, absolutely!   For daytime, the ship will be as casual as any Carib resort on land....shorts, tees/tanks, bathing suits and flip flops are just fine.  (With the obvious disclaimer of no bathing suits in the dining room/buffet for breakfast/lunch; cover ups that cover everything are fine though)

12 hours ago, ShipShapely said:

If you don’t dress up then, then when? 

Honestly, if I wanted to dress up that much, I'd book a different cruise line. I absolutely agree that you should wear what you want (caveat that you meet the minimum dress code requirements) but I will also note that if you are MUCH dressier than the dress code, you will stand out and not always in a good way. I was raised that being "overdressed" is better than being "underdressed" so I will default to black slim pants over jeans any day. That said, our last (ocean) cruise was on a formal-night optional line. On "formal night optional" there was one woman in a full length sequin gown. She stood out. If she was happy, great, more power to her. That is not my goal in life 😉 All my husband and I commented was how heavy her luggage must have been 😉

• Haha 1