Hotels Tokyo and Sydney

papaflamingo

We are booked on Explorer from Tokyo to Sydney in 2021.  We have pre and post cruise land packages included in the fare.  I am trying to decide if I would rather tour on our own and take the credit, or do the Regent land packages.  Does anyone have any idea which hotels Regent has used in the past for Tokyo and Sydney?  I know these can certainly change. 

Thanks

We are cruising from Tokyo to Bangkok (Laem Chabang) next year on Voyager. Our one night pre-cruise is at the Prince Park Tower in Tokyo. 

As you say, the hotels can certainly change... hope this helps you make those all important decisions.

• Like 1

So much depends upon you!

We did Tokyo to Vancouver with Regent last year. Stayed at the Hilton in Shinjuku. Took the 3-night precruise package and enjoyed it (our first trip to Japan but 14th Regent cruise). Easy transfer from airport which can be difficult. Very nice hotel. Interesting area but would look elsewhere if we were staying longer in Tokyo (we did a "Shinjuku By Night with Tours by Locals that was fabulous).

We did Sydney with Regent a few years ago. Went there early and stayed at Hilton - VERY NICE on Club Floor (but hotel is not on the Quay). Then joined Regent pre-cruise 3-night tour of Sydney - fabulous! Regent put us up at the Four Seasons which is on the Quay; very nice hotel BUT it's next to a noisey train station. We had a room with a beautiful view of the Opera House AND a very early rumbling train wakeningWe are ending a 2021 Regent cruise in Sydney. I plan to stay afew nights on our own either at the Hilton again or maybe nea the Quay at the Marriott or Sheraton - I have "points" for each.

You'll love both cities.

• Like 1

Thank you both! Yes, your info definitely helps. DeepFreeze, we did Sydney last year and stayed at the Intercontinental at the Quay.  It was a great deal.  We had a one bedroom suite for a very reasonable price and a view of the Opera House and Bridge. Since we were in Sydney last year we are debating if we want to spend another 3 days there.  

This will also be our first Tokyo visit.  I looked at the 3 day included tour and feel as though I would rather set up my own itinerary.  That's why the hotel included matters.  Could be a much better deal through Regent.  So thank you so much for the info. 

9 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I looked at the 3 day included tour and feel as though I would rather set up my own itinerary.

We did the same cruise as @DeepFreeze63 last year and chose to set up our own Tokyo pre-cruise adventure.  We stayed in our favourite Shinjuku hotel (Park Hyatt) - our fourth visit - and organised our transfers with the hotel.  We got a great deal through Amex Platinum and the whole thing cost us about the same as the Regent pre-cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gilly said:

We did the same cruise as @DeepFreeze63 last year and chose to set up our own Tokyo pre-cruise adventure.  We stayed in our favourite Shinjuku hotel (Park Hyatt) - our fourth visit - and organised our transfers with the hotel.  We got a great deal through Amex Platinum and the whole thing cost us about the same as the Regent pre-cruise.

So is the Shinjuku area a good place to stay?  I'm very unfamiliar. Only been to Narita and that was as an airline pilot on layover.  Do you have any recommendations for tours/transfers?  

For Tokyo, i would suggest you look at the Hotel Okura. It was torn down several years ago, has been rebuilt, with many areas duplicated from the original—like the beautiful, peaceful lobby. It is next to the US Embassy and easy walking distance to some interesting areas of Tokyo. For Sydney, the Park Hyatt on the Quay. Last year Regent used the Four Seasons in Sydney, and we thought it was fine. Do not know what hotels Regent uses in Tokyo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briar14 said:

For Tokyo, i would suggest you look at the Hotel Okura. It was torn down several years ago, has been rebuilt, with many areas duplicated from the original—like the beautiful, peaceful lobby. It is next to the US Embassy and easy walking distance to some interesting areas of Tokyo. For Sydney, the Park Hyatt on the Quay. Last year Regent used the Four Seasons in Sydney, and we thought it was fine. Do not know what hotels Regent uses in Tokyo.

Thank you.  I will definitely check out Hotel Okura.  We were in Sydney last year and the Park Hyatt was simply out  of my price range.  It was, certainly, on the top of my list though.  We walked by it and it is beautiful and in a great location.  I'll check again for this upcoming cruise. 

• Like 1

@papaflamingo as is often the case, it depends.  We had been to Tokyo several times previously, were familiar with the city and how to get about, so chose the hotel and district on the basis of access to public transport as well as the "old times"! We also enjoy the vibe of Shinjuku, but appreciate it's not to everyone's taste.  We offset it with the peace and tranquillity of the beautiful  Park Hyatt!  We had already planned to buy a Japan Rail Pass and to travel further afield too, so the proximity of a large station was another key factor in our choice.

Friends who are planning to end their cruise in Sydney next year have commented to us how expensive the hotels in the Rocks and on the Quay have become - the Park Hyatt especially so.  Regent put us up in the Four Seasons a few years ago but I'd agree with a previous commenter that it was nothing special and their response to a serious water leak in our room was pitiful for any reputable hotel, never mind one with the Four Seasons brand.

• Like 1

Have stayed at the Park Hyatt on the Quay in Sydney three or four times.  It is superb and well worth the cost.  Also at the Four Seasons which I liked less. 

Shinjuku - always used to stay there when I was in Tokyo for work but at the Hilton.  That was fine.  It is a nice area with a monumentally huge station!  Like all of Tokyo clean and safe.  Lots of little restaurants etc too in the area.

19 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

So is the Shinjuku area a good place to stay?  I'm very unfamiliar. Only been to Narita and that was as an airline pilot on layover.  Do you have any recommendations for tours/transfers?  

Let me amplify some of my above post.

The Regent 3 night pre-excursionin Tokyo was perfect for us (2 well-traveled 80-ish, but first time to Japan). The Regent excursions were "tame" but fitted well with our condition (15 hour flight and 23 hour time change). Shinjuku has: several big department stores (so unlike the US stores to be an fantastic "cultural adventure"); amazing night-life ( our privatel 4 hour tour was Fabulous but not something I would do on my own); the world's busiest train station (bring a compass) - a destination of its self.  If I was staying for about a week, or had been to Tokyo before or were looking for more in-depth cultural things, I'd evaluate other parts of the city (lots of info on You Tube). The public transport system is excellent and has good signage BUT a LOT of people use it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Have stayed at the Park Hyatt on the Quay in Sydney three or four times.  It is superb and well worth the cost.

We said the same to our friend, on the "location location" premise.  Except that the rack rate is now 4 or 5x the price of other hotels in that area: Shangri La, Four Seasons, Sofitel et al !   (proving the value of an unbeatable location, I guess)

17 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

We stayed at the Hilton which Regent also used.  Way too far out from most thinks we wanted to do.

We stayed at the Hilton Tokyo and though it is out of the way it worked perfectly for us.  We weren't with Regent we booked it on our own. Their executive floor room was very good, the executive lounge really nice and well worth the additional cost. We had a 2 day private walking/subway tour and being right beside 2 great subway stations worked well.  We could easily get anywhere quickly. 

3 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

We stayed at the Hilton Tokyo and though it is out of the way it worked perfectly for us.  We weren't with Regent we booked it on our own. Their executive floor room was very good, the executive lounge really nice and well worth the additional cost. We had a 2 day private walking/subway tour and being right beside 2 great subway stations worked well.  We could easily get anywhere quickly. 

You are right, the hotel and executive club was outstanding.  And yes the subway is near, but for us the things we did took sometime to get too.  We stayed on are own also, but Regent put up a lot of people in the hotel---the lobby was a mad house.  We used a car service to get to the port which really a good idea.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

You are right, the hotel and executive club was outstanding.  And yes the subway is near, but for us the things we did took sometime to get too.  We stayed on are own also, but Regent put up a lot of people in the hotel---the lobby was a mad house.  We used a car service to get to the port which really a good idea.  

We also did a private transfer to the port. We are doing Vancouver to Tokyo in 2021 with an included Regent post cruise stay. I would be okay with staying there again especially if the hotel will let us pay to upgrade to the executive floor. 

We totally relied on our guide and didn't go out on our own at all. I can certainly understand if you are going off on your own that there are far more convenient places to stay. 

Looking forward to going back to Tokyo and excited about finally doing a cruise where our flight to embarkation point is only an hour long.  We may pay the extra cost to have Regent fly us all the way home rather than finding our own way home from YVR. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 1:50 PM, TrulyBlonde said:

We just returned from Tokyo 2 weeks ago. We stayed at The Peninsula hotel and received Amex upgrade to a fabulous suite. Fabulous location in the Ginza with park views and great area to walk around.

We also stayed at the Peninsula, about 6 months ago.  Loved it!  No upgrade but the room, a level or two above entry level room was absolutely stunning.  Probably one of my top 5 favorite hotels!

• Like 2

For Tokyo, where I have visited over 30 times most recently earlier this year - check out the Conrad in Shiodome - an excellent  hotel, close to Ginza and nice views out the the Bay and Rainbow Bridge - an easy walk to the beautiful Hamarikyu Garden. If you’re ship is at the Tokyo Cruise Terminal it’s a short taxi ride 

For Sydney where I live - check out the Shangri La - very close to Circular Quay in the Rocks - could be close to your ship if it’s at Circular Quay, otherwise a quick taxi to White Bay. Great hotel and lovely harbour views 

Looking forward to visiting Tokyo on Explorer in 2021 - we won’t take the Regent package and I agree with others that you would be better served organising your own programme 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

For Tokyo, where I have visited over 30 times most recently earlier this year - check out the Conrad in Shiodome - an excellent  hotel, close to Ginza and nice views out the the Bay and Rainbow Bridge - an easy walk to the beautiful Hamarikyu Garden. If you’re ship is at the Tokyo Cruise Terminal it’s a short taxi ride 

For Sydney where I live - check out the Shangri La - very close to Circular Quay in the Rocks - could be close to your ship if it’s at Circular Quay, otherwise a quick taxi to White Bay. Great hotel and lovely harbour views 

Looking forward to visiting Tokyo on Explorer in 2021 - we won’t take the Regent package and I agree with others that you would be better served organising your own programme 

Thank you Stickman.  I will certainly check both out.  Appreciate the info. 

On 11/21/2019 at 12:44 PM, briar14 said:

For Tokyo, i would suggest you look at the Hotel Okura.

I have a friend who always stays at the Hotel Okura. She travels to Japan several times a year and loves this hotel.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend the hotels we used, one is fabulous and too far from transportation, the other one is too large and impersonal but close to a train station.

On the other hand, we liked the concierge level of the Yokohama Sheraton for service and location. If your ship docks in Yokohama instead of Tokyo, this hotel is a good option.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 7:58 AM, bebop bonnie said:

We also stayed at the Peninsula, about 6 months ago.  Loved it!  No upgrade but the room, a level or two above entry level room was absolutely stunning.  Probably one of my top 5 favorite hotels!

The Peninsula hotel in Shanghai may be my favorite with stunning views of The Bund. Sir Ellie's bar is one of the best rooftop bars in the world. Amazing.

• Like 1