Playa del Carmen shopping

Cru1s1ng2009

Next month my dd and I are going on Indy for a short 4 day cruise. We are booked for a 3.5 hour ATV tour and she wants to go shopping afterwards. Is it a long walk from the cruise terminal to the shopping district? If we have to catch a cab, are they reliable? I have anxiety and fear being left behind. 

Lots of shopping options on the piers or downtown, which is about an $8 cab ride from the piers.

PDC can be fun, but you will not find anything there that you cannot find on Cozumel. If you don't want to swim there are ferries. :classic_wink:

• Like 2

You will dock at International pier.

You will have shopping at the pier, or some people  prefer to go to Puerta Maya pier , five minutes to the right after exiting port. There is also shopping across the road from both piers. 

On 11/24/2019 at 12:57 PM, JohninDC said:

Lots of shopping options on the piers or downtown, which is about an $8 cab ride from the piers.

PDC can be fun, but you will not find anything there that you cannot find on Cozumel. If you don't want to swim there are ferries. :classic_wink:

Absolutely true - I would say the tourist shopping is identical in both locations.  The only difference you will likely see are different names for each location on t-shirts and shot glasses!

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:52 PM, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

Next month my dd and I are going on Indy for a short 4 day cruise. We are booked for a 3.5 hour ATV tour and she wants to go shopping afterwards. Is it a long walk from the cruise terminal to the shopping district? If we have to catch a cab, are they reliable? I have anxiety and fear being left behind. 

Not sure how long your ship is in Cozumel, but these 3.5 ATV tours tend toward the long side plus unless they are meeting you and dropping you off at the cruise pier, you'll need some extra time tacked on to the excursion time.

Others have pointed out that shopping is no different in either place.  And it reach Playa you need the ferry.  Assuming you are able to catch a ferry to Playa, that's a 45-50 minute ride. You'll probably have a 2 hour wait for the next one and then a 45-50 minute ride back plus the taxi ride back to your cruise pier.  So getting and returning from Play is longer than your ATV excursion.

Stay in Coz.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:57 PM, JohninDC said:

oh I didnt know there was shopping right on Cozumel.

35 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Must have the old schedule.   Thought the afternoon returns were on the odd hour. Apologize for the confusion.

No worries! There can be a wait depending on ones timing of course. And I agree that one should allow an extra hour or two just in the event of a delay or an extremely busy day. But the two ferry companies are pretty regular and usually reliable. 

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, caugh51654 said:

Shopping in downtown Coz you’ll find everything you would find in PDC.  

Actually 5th Ave is a famous shopping destination for a reason. The growth of new high-end stores Each year along the north end is amazing. We also didn’t suggest ferrying to Playa just for the shopping, especially trinkets, but for someone who has not visited Playa and is “tired of” Cozumel 5th Ave is a shopper’s paradise...